IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Mystic Quest Legend, SNES. Took so long to get through that Arbre Géant (giant tree) but now in Ventia. I'm at level 29, time so far 10:39. Before that I was playing Castlevania to continue trying for that subweapons only game, but kept getting worst and worst and more and more aggravated, I had to give it a rest. I really don't have the patience I used to, long ago I would have never thought to throw or break something over frustrations in a game, after all I'm the one putting myself through the ordeal, but still, the rage swells and violence sometimes goes beyond merely just crossing my mind. So traded up Castlevania for Mystic Quest. Not saying an RPG is without it frustrations, friggin cheap instant kills abound lately, but doesn't cause me to tense up or set my nerves a shaking and I did manage to calm down and get out of the flustered mood I put myself in by forcing that challenge on myself. Crazy shit we sometimes do to ourselves.

Gave Castlevania another try after all with the whole subweapons only thing, didn't quite succeed but did come damn near close and played a good game, beating it with only one death (should've no deathed it, like seriously, stupid Drac and his teleporting on me) and hitting two of the bosses accidentally once each with the whip, but otherwise, yeah, just the subweapons, mostly the boomerang. Details and vid on the games beaten topic. I'm rusty a little but I still got it.

Edited by MeganJoanne
deleted and reuploaded video

Currently I'm playing Ducktales Remastered on Wii U. I am going through my Wii U backlog again. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's great to play Ducktales again since its been a long time. I haven't played many games with hand drawn characters, so Toki 2018 comes to mind when playing. It's a shame they removed this from digital stores.

@acromite53mite53 I watched a playthrough of the Ducktales Remastered game, since I don't have the hardware it was for. It looks like it stayed true to the original, and looks really fun. It's ironic as my brother and I used to always look at the game in the Nintendo Game Atlas, but never had it as a child, only found it later as a teen at Funcoland.

I just spent the night gaming. I played through Huang Di, an amazing unlicensed platformer for the Famicom. I'd place it in my top 100 list.

Was playing Castlevania, trying for a whip only game, something I've done before but it's been a long time and having done, well mostly done the subweapons only, that I should try the whip only thing again. First time, I lost all of my lives to the Reaper, so close to beating him half of those times, decided not to continue. Just gave it another go, but nerves still shot to hell from my battle with Mr Grim that I played a little more sloppy this time, and this time lost every single life to the Monster and Hunchback, all the whole while cursing up a storm of f' you's, son of a b'tch, bastard! My last life we killed each other at the same time, at least I got that satisfaction, took the f'ers with me.

1 minute ago, ookii_risu said:

I'm currently playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Have about 6-7 hours logged so far. I love the little details that are reminiscent of SOTN. The music is terrific as well.

I really enjoyed it. Not quite SotN, but close. And the fact that almost every single enemy has a unique shard is awesome. Didn't love the grinding and crafting, but those aspects were pretty much optional. 

• Like 1

Tried another game whip only for Castlevania, and once again all lives lost against the Grim Reaper. My nerves have not recovered. You know, I used to have a faster recovery rate, but find it's getting worse, not just with games but everything. Unfortunately I need to rest from it, no point over-stressing myself and have a friggin' heart attack from Castlevania. Well more than likely pass out from holding my breath during those intense moments of battling the 4th and 5th bosses, get the fingers feeling numb and head a floaty sorta feeling. Remember, breath. 'Breathes', there, better. Eyes are all watery and starry from all the concentration needed to avoid being killed by all the stuff flying or jumping around the screen shooting at me, can only imagine right now me against Contra after all these years, shit, one hit deaths and shots shooting from everywhere. While I believe my skill has not declined in my years, what has though is my stamina, I wear down too fast.

Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition and Toki Tori (Digital), both for Switch. Wanted to play Rayman since I've been neglecting it for a good year. Game's fantastic. The music levels in particular are incredible. Toki Tori is good. A bit challenging on hard mode, but that makes it all the more rewarding when I can actually finish areas. 

Finished Art of Balance the other day. That is a strong recommendation, nice and relaxing puzzle game. It is a bit pricey for a digital game, but well worth it considering I got 10 hours out of it. Also got around to finishing Sonic Blast as Knuckles too. I know the game is disliked by many people, but if you look at what it was trying to do on an 8-Bit handheld it makes it kind of impressive. 

Just finished Headlander (Xbone). It has an interesting combination of Metroidvania exploration with a 70s retro sci-fi style. Unfortunately, it's just not that fun and the story is not interesting in the slightest. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really can't get your hands on anything else.

Now on to The Outer Worlds! I've been looking forward to that one for months.

After seeing a Pokémon topic and reading, I thought, well hell, I've never played a Pokémon game before at all, ever. I only ever watched the first movie, and caught just mere glimpses of the cartoon on tv long ago. So I fired up the Gameboy emulator and picked one, Pokémon version Bleue. Yes, in french, always for my studies, to learn. Been playing for 1:37 and my chosen Pokémon, Salameche whom I named Flamqueue is now at level 8. so far really only had about a dozen battles with wild Pokémon, but mostly just typing out all of the text in the game has been most of the time spent. I think if I play some more maybe I might enjoy this one. As for the names of Pokémon in relation to their english counterparts, I only know a handful, such as my Salameche is Charizard. I wasn't even sure which one came first in the series of games, so I took a guess and started there.

Edited by MeganJoanne
images didn't show up correctly

Pokémon Version Bleue. My Salameche, renamed as Flamqueue is now at level 12, and I now have several more Pokémon, Rattata, Roucool, Nidoran (male and female), each of those are at level 4. Fought my nemesis, Red, wasn't ready for the battle, but he left me no choice, but still I whipped him and his Pokémon. Been at this for 2:55, and plan on continuing this game for until I am distracted or bored, but right now it has my attention, so I guess when I get back to it I will be leveling up my new additions to get them as strong as Flamqueue so that way I will be better prepared for another multi-Pokémon battle without so much risk of getting KO'ed.

Currently going through a bunch of game save states, had never logged down when I beat a bunch of the hacks I played earlier this year because I hadn't been doing the logging details thing anymore (well, am now), so now have exact dates of when I finished some Metroid hacks based on my last save points, at least I still have those. So now my game beaten log is more accurate. Though since I didn't keep log at the time nor kept any of my recordings I can't quite recall if I may be missing a game or two for Metroid or Castlevania hacks that I may've beaten but not remembered that I don't have any save files for. Hmm, in due time I suppose.

So I did try to pick up where I left off on one of the Metroid hacks a little while ago, Metroid Captive, a hack with some really hard puzzle solving. I was in the final area, but now remember why I rage quit on that one back in July because when you die there you lose half your energy tanks, so I had 4 of them, lost battling the Mother Brain, got resent back to the beginning of the area with only 2 tanks. Don't remember it being like that for the earlier parts of the game (just checked, nope). Yep, turned that shit off, wasn't about to put myself through that stress again. Got a save state at the door before the Mother Brain with all zeebetite destroyed but I only use save states in place of passwords or for quickly revisiting a part of a game for whatever, not for legit victories, thus this game still sits unfinished all because it pissed me off far more than it should. Kinda like Wart's Invasion, got close to the end, go to shoot the statues, the Kraid one (I don't even remember what was in his place, Mouser I think) doesn't raise even though I beat him early on in the game, so when I re-downloaded many of the hacks recently I decided to pass on that one. Sometimes hacks start out promising, kind of interesting but then start to feel like the same thing and drag on for too long so was the case of that one and because of the linear design backtracking or reloading to that early point to have to go through it all again wasn't going to be something fun. There were a ton other Metroid hacks, but sadly, most weren't very good, except for the ones I actually beat because they were good enough to keep me going to the end. And Castlevania, even worst, though entertaining to at least give them a quick try, though will say Holy Relics was great, Stairs of Doom was fun and the gun hack was very much like how I played my subweapons only attempts at Castlevania, using a gun in place of a whip. Oh, played several Zelda and Zelda II hacks as well, thinking of which there was at least one of them I may want to try getting back to sometime, but most were either too hard to be fun or uninteresting.

NES games beaten 2019

January :
Metroid (beat using keyboard, second time I ever did this, and without dying)

March :
Faxanadu
Crystalis

April :
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

June-July :

Castlevania The Holy Relics (hack)
Castlevania Stairs of Doom (hack)
Castlevania Gun (hack)
Castlevania Bloody Adventures (hack)

2019-6-17
Metroid Incursion (hack)

2019-7-1
Over the Moon (hack)

2019-7-3
Metroid : Samus - Mother Brain Returns (hack)

2019-7-3
Metroid Inceptroid (hack)

2019-7-4
Metroid Revival (hack)

2019-6-17
Metroid Rogue Dawn (hack)

2019-11-7
Castlevania - 9 deaths / 1 continue used, mostly all subweapons

2019-11-8
Castlevania - 1 death (against Dracula's second form), subweapons only game except for an accidental single hit on the Frankenstein Monster and Grim Reaper each (a failed challenge but still a damn good playthru)

2019-11-12
Castlevania 5 (hack) - beat it with 4 deaths

I didn't expect to play through this one all the way, I was just choosing something random out of the Castlevania hacks to retry, tried it before some months ago but had only played halfway through it then, but this time, I was enjoying it enough and making good progress that I decided to see it through to the end. First death a bat knocked me into a pit in stage 4. Second death was a mistake thinking there was floor to jump on but I ended up falling into a pit, this was in stage 6. Then I had two deaths against Dracula. What can I say about this hack, well it looks very different from all the others and Castlevania in general because the graphics mostly all redone have a cleaner, simpler art style, not bad though. The music is various tunes from several different Castlevania games. Level layout is good, challenge is just right, tough in a few spots without the right weapon, but not too much, about the same level as the original game. Bosses are a weird sort, first the big bat is redrawn, the medusa boss is turned into some slime/blob/ghost thingy, the mummies are now skeletons with swords that throw or shoot blades at you, the Frankenstein monster is still the boss only looks different and has an oversized head and has a blob as a backup attacker, Death is still death, but also redrawn graphics, Drac though is exactly the same as the original. I beat it, watched the ending, had some dialogue regarding the character and his ordeal, then restarted the 2nd quest but didn't play, just wanted to see what I would face if I played another round, big bats on the first screen, faster enemies, okay, maybe some other time. As for the title, sort of a step back given how grand the 3rd game was and the superness of the SNES one, but hey, whatever, a game doesn't always have to have some cool sounding title because the gameplay is what will make one remember it, and this one does okay.

Had also briefly tried out another Castlevania hack called The Red Wizard, didn't make it far, lost all my lives on the second stage. The game has some cool subweapons which not only look different  from their originals but also behave differently too. But the enemies, it's like they all have rocket skates on their feet and the flying ones using jetpacks, they were all so fast I had a very hard time keeping up with being able to whip them all before at least one hit me like every group or every other group of zombies or medusa head. Crazy. It actually seems to have potential but the speed is way to high that I can't see me enjoying it even if I tried.

Finally started The Outer Worlds on Xbox One X. Beautiful game although I'm still figuring out how to build my character. I feel like these types of games require a restart after 10 hours to truly appreciate the nuance of different play styles.

On a side note, I'm playing on hard at the advice of numerous people and it feels right. You can't just rush into combat with high level enemies and expect to survive, but it feels very fair.

Nothing today, but last night gave Batman on the Gameboy a short whirl, losing first life in stage 2 somewhere, decided not to continue. Then played Castelvania II Belmont's Revenge, made it to Soleiyu Belmont and got my ass whipped over and over, over half a dozen continues and gave up. Love the music in that game, and some of the challenges in the stages are nice.