IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

I played through Ducktales this week for the first time since I was a kid and it didn't seem to hold up all that well. It took me three tries to get the "best" ending. Even though I got both hidden treasures on the first two tries, I kept finishing with around 9.5 million. IGN had it ranked #10 of their top 100 NES games which seems a bit high. I'm guessing it didn't make the 30 game cut for the NES classic edition because of Disney licensing, but I'm not sure if I would put it in my personal top 50.

On 12/12/2019 at 6:15 PM, Tanooki said:

Last call of duty I found amazing was world at war, though black ops 1 was pretty solid too, ghosts was passable at best.  I was COD WW2 but I'm waiting for a severe drop in price since online can suck it.

I usually try to snag CoD when it gets to $10 to try out the campaign. Even then I usually find myself unimpressed.  The only significant thing I can remember about any of them is that damn airplane bonus level in Modern Warfare. I banged my head against the wall for a while to get that achievement. I'm a masochist and love that kind of stuff. The actual game? Eh.

Demon’s Souls. I haven’t played any Souls games (or many modern action games at all). Really enjoying it so far about 8hr in. There is no BS in this game. The death system has made me be cheesy to not lose souls so far. I rush at a boss and get one-shot, then my second time at him I use 100 arrows and hit and run because I don’t want to lose my souls. That’s worked for like 4 bosses in a row.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I usually try to snag CoD when it gets to $10 to try out the campaign. Even then I usually find myself unimpressed.  The only significant thing I can remember about any of them is that damn airplane bonus level in Modern Warfare. I banged my head against the wall for a while to get that achievement. I'm a masochist and love that kind of stuff. The actual game? Eh.

I could see that.  I tried to give the modern/future COD a fair care with campaign mode, but AW1 I finished but it didn't really wow me, the sequel I detested and made myself finish, and then there was Ghosts which I finished but was passive about.  They're just tired rehash and not very fun at all, which is probably amusing to some since i still do think they can make a great WW2 game since they're more forced within being honorable to the veterans and stories of that real conflict along with being period accurate (outside of that zombie mode junk.)  COD1 and 2, World at War, they're great, the console games were so-so but not awful, and then the take out castro etc bit of Black Ops1 that I got into too.

Events Team · Posted
On 11/2/2019 at 12:37 AM, guillavoie said:

After sailing my ass around the globe for a couple of months at Uncharted Waters (NES), I felt recently that I had enough of loading and unloading cargo for money, fame and women (those waitresses at the inn love famous sailors' company). Yesterday I decided that Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Grey Wolf is going to be my principal late evening time wasting device. Started the 'Conquest of the Mongols' scenario playing the Mongols, and got my sorry self whooped after about 5-6 turns by the first war campaign launch against my homeland...

But I'm determined to restart a quest tonight, and my thirst for conquering the world is stronger than ever.

To follow up on this, I took up the challenge seriously and completed two times the mongol conquest scenario. Why two times? Because when you conquer all lands by 1214, you unified Mongolia and go on the the world conquest map after. The problem is that in my first run I came short and conquered lands by 1215😫...

But the second run I made it flush in Autumn of 2014, and had a chance to conquer the WORLD! After seeing all my faithful ruler/generals died of going to war non-stop at the ripe age 70 something, I finally hold the known world in the grasp of my hand by 1246. How fitting these words on the screen before the credits :

IMG_0356.thumb.JPG.52ff0b3bd2561a26797524b93b8674ce.JPG

21 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I played through Ducktales this week for the first time since I was a kid and it didn't seem to hold up all that well. It took me three tries to get the "best" ending. Even though I got both hidden treasures on the first two tries, I kept finishing with around 9.5 million. IGN had it ranked #10 of their top 100 NES games which seems a bit high. I'm guessing it didn't make the 30 game cut for the NES classic edition because of Disney licensing, but I'm not sure if I would put it in my personal top 50.

For what it's worth, I just double-checked my own top 100 NES games list, and I seem to have ranked it #29 - and that's on a list where I've generously collapsed every NES Mega Man game into a single entry.

Ducktales is a very typical game for Capcom's line of licensed platformers. It's extremely competently made, but also quite short, a little too much on the easy side, and generally lacks that final touch that makes the best Capcom platformers really stand out.
I've ranked both NES Ducktales games the same, but IMO the sequel is a tiny bit better, fixing a couple of the issues I had with the first.

12 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Demon’s Souls. I haven’t played any Souls games (or many modern action games at all). Really enjoying it so far about 8hr in. There is no BS in this game. The death system has made me be cheesy to not lose souls so far. I rush at a boss and get one-shot, then my second time at him I use 100 arrows and hit and run because I don’t want to lose my souls. That’s worked for like 4 bosses in a row.

The trick to all of the Souls games is that you don't really need to care too hard about your lost souls. You can always quite easily farm a bunch if you feel like you need them - and you never really do need them to make progress in the first place.

So if you stop getting desperate about the potential of losing a bunch of them, it really eases the pressure of these games. On the other hand, that pressure is also an amazing part of the game's world building, so there's that.
If you really do want to care about a pile of souls dropped in a boss fight, one approach could be to equip the item that lets you return to a checkpoint, rush into the boss arena and find a quiet spot to use that item.
In general, just don't go into anything you know is a boss fight with a huge pile of unbanked souls. Just return to the fight later, rushing your way there without fighting anything on the way.

Edited by Sumez

Vestaria Saga, it's basically a new Fire Emblem from the original creator. Don't know how much i can/should say, but an English translation should be coming soon™, probably early 2020 though. Also almost beat Star Ocean First DepartureR, but the Final boss is a real pain, even with the best weapons.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

The trick to all of the Souls games is that you don't really need to care too hard about your lost souls. You can always quite easily farm a bunch if you feel like you need them - and you never really do need them to make progress in the first place.

So if you stop getting desperate about the potential of losing a bunch of them, it really eases the pressure of these games. On the other hand, that pressure is also an amazing part of the game's world building, so there's that.
If you really do want to care about a pile of souls dropped in a boss fight, one approach could be to equip the item that lets you return to a checkpoint, rush into the boss arena and find a quiet spot to use that item.
In general, just don't go into anything you know is a boss fight with a huge pile of unbanked souls. Just return to the fight later, rushing your way there without fighting anything on the way.

Yeah, I know I'm fighting for basically nothing (in most cases I'm dying with like 4000 souls and I've already beaten enemies that singularly drop more that that). I gotta do the newbie things to learn why the newbie things are a waste of time though. Sort of similarly, whenever people complain about losing their hearts in Simon's Quest, I'm always like "Who cares man, you can grind out all the hearts you need for the entire game in like 10 minutes of mummies!".

Mario's Picross 2 on Super Game Boy and the SNES version as well (both were JP only but thanks to the Everdrives it's not a problem!).  It's a shame how the first Mario's Picross was so highly acclaimed in the first game's Nintendo Power preview yet apparently it didn't sell enough for the two sequels to make it to the US. 😞 

Edited by Estil

19 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

How is it? Looks amazing.

Can't speak for Deadeye, but "amazing" might be overshooting it IMO. But it's not bad.

It's a stereotypical modern indie platformer, mostly focused on in-air movement tech and basic puzzle solving. It has a fair amount of backtracking in its second half, but minor changes to the stages makes that less tedious than it sounds. It has a lot of amateurish feeling elements, and a somewhat cringeworthy, persistent style of humor, but overall I think it's an enjoyable game.

Its Ninja Gaiden focused marketing campaign is confusing as heck, because it really has nothing to do with that game.

Edited by Sumez
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Can't speak for Deadeye, but "amazing" might be overshooting it IMO. But it's not bad.

It's a stereotypical modern indie platformer, mostly focused on in-air movement tech and basic puzzle solving. It has a fair amount of backtracking in its second half, but minor changes to the stages makes that less tedious than it sounds. It has a lot of amateurish feeling elements, and a somewhat cringeworthy, persistent style of humor, but overall I think it's an enjoyable game.

Its Ninja Gaiden focused marketing campaign is confusing as heck, because it really has nothing to do with that game.

Yeah, the Ninja Gaiden vibe is what made me interested. At what price would you say it's a good buy?

Homebrew Team · Posted
47 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

How is it? Looks amazing.

I am only a few hours in, so this is more of a first impressions than final thoughts.

I like it.  Fast paced, doesn't take itself seriously, music is good, and some good humor thrown in.

I am still in the begining and haven't gotten to the backtracking non linear portion yet.  At this point it feels more like a run and gun type game.

I would same don't over hype this game.  If you are looking for a Ninja Gaiden sequel or replacement, this is probably not it.  I don't regret the purchase, but I wasn't looking for that.