IGNORED

It's Official! NintendoAge is GONE

trj22487

2 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

This has been my take too, while everyone has been flinging flaming torches at GoCollect, if I had any resentment to pass it would be to Dain. 

The way it all went down, the way it was handled, was very middle finger to the community - I feel that if he wanted to sell NA and keep its legacy alive he could have started with the community (as noted, others were offering to buy it from GC). 

Oh well, what's done is done I guess.  I feel bad for those who donated to NA to keep it alive, although I feel worst for all the admins/mods that put all their time into the site and apparently wasn't even thanked by Dain at the end :(.

I get why folks are taking it that way, but I'm conflicted about trying to lay the bulk of blame at Dain's feet.  My take on it was that while he wanted out (and likely had to keep the deal under wraps during negotiations and until it was officially completed, if not being gagged for longer as part of the contract), he intended to let everybody know, but Jeff beat him to the punch and there wasn't really any way to gracefully pick up the pieces after that happened.  The damage was done from that moment, and I can understand finding it difficult to say much after that other than confirming that it happened, as it would end up being a lot of apologies for all the secrecy and a bunch of drama over the deal (which happened) as well as the manner in which it happened (which definitely happened).

I'm not saying he's totally without blame (especially since there were others who were ready to buy the place as-is who apparently weren't made aware it was being shopped around), just that it's kind of understandable the way he stepped out in the way that he did and that there'd potentially be less hard feelings had the transition happened in a proper manner (Dain announcing the sale, introducing everybody to Jeff, then having Jeff come in, etc.).  It was such a shocking change and so poorly executed that everybody's immediate reactions were denial and anger (which continued for many through the formation of VGS & shuttering of the NA domain) instead of acceptance of a changing of the guard and anticipation of more changes to come.

11 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

HA! I dunno how I only just now noticed this, I dunno if it's always been there and I'm blind or if it's new, but they literally just slapped on a .png of the NA logo up in the top right corner, as if to say "Yeah guys, this is still the NA you know and love! Right?"

Christ almighty, I'm a pretty easygoing guy and I'm not one to say stuff like this at the drop of a hat, but Jesus Christ that really is just pathetic.

e44d2d53ee8c491e7af8e77f04a3b622.png

Maybe this is GoCollect forum's Halloween costume

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Moderator · Posted
11 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I get why folks are taking it that way, but I'm conflicted about trying to lay the bulk of blame at Dain's feet.  My take on it was that while he wanted out (and likely had to keep the deal under wraps during negotiations and until it was officially completed, if not being gagged for longer as part of the contract), he intended to let everybody know, but Jeff beat him to the punch and there wasn't really any way to gracefully pick up the pieces after that happened.  The damage was done from that moment, and I can understand finding it difficult to say much after that other than confirming that it happened, as it would end up being a lot of apologies for all the secrecy and a bunch of drama over the deal (which happened) as well as the manner in which it happened (which definitely happened).

I'm not saying he's totally without blame (especially since there were others who were ready to buy the place as-is who apparently weren't made aware it was being shopped around), just that it's kind of understandable the way he stepped out in the way that he did and that there'd potentially be less hard feelings had the transition happened in a proper manner (Dain announcing the sale, introducing everybody to Jeff, then having Jeff come in, etc.).  It was such a shocking change and so poorly executed that everybody's immediate reactions were denial and anger (which continued for many through the formation of VGS & shuttering of the NA domain) instead of acceptance of a changing of the guard and anticipation of more changes to come.

Boosted is closer to the truth. It’s all good though, as sad as it is to see NA go, it seems to have worked out so far here at VGS. It has almost incentivized people to be more engaged than they have in years. 

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

NintendoAge is dead. Long live NintendoAge.

Many good times were had there. Many good memories were built there. I drank to honour it's passing on the night happened.
Now that the body is buried, we carry business as usual here.

Tonight I drink to new good times that will be had here and new good memories that will be built here.
Gentlemen, ladies, this is the dawn of a new age.
Let's make it worth it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Boosted is closer to the truth. It’s all good though, as sad as it is to see NA go, it seems to have worked out so far here at VGS. It has almost incentivized people to be more engaged than they have in years. 

For me, it's been that a lot of the "dour feeling" is (and has continued to be) totally absent from the new place.  People are actually being civil with one another when having involved discussions where they disagree, there's no tongue-in-cheek back-handed comments, etc., creating a much better, breath-of-fresh-air atmosphere.

Being perfectly honest, coming into NA a bit under 4 years ago, the feel of the place was kind of like walking into a nursing home where "most everyone" (a not insignificant amount of the active community) were in a constant state of being PO'd.  I'm not saying that's how it was, as after officially signing up and continuing to lurk for a while, I found that wasn't always the case, but from an outside observer's or newb's point of view, the bad comments stick out and stick to you more than the normal or neutral ones do.

I'm very thankful for VGS.  Not only for giving everybody a place to continue the community after the impending shutdown of NA occurred, but also wiping away most, if not all of, the bad things that seemed to have cropped up and taken root after so many years and being vigilant about ensuring they don't crop back up as "the norm" again.

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, BeaIank said:

NintendoAge is dead. Long live NintendoAge.

Many good times were had there. Many good memories were built there. I drank to honour it's passing on the night happened.
Now that the body is buried, we carry business as usual here.

Tonight I drink to new good times that will be had here and new good memories that will be built here.
Gentlemen, ladies, this is the dawn of a new age.
Let's make it worth it.

Well said Bea, I'll drink to that!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nesking80 said:

really hate to see that they killed off a site with so much history, and a special culture, and replaced it with a husk that doesn't even remotely resemble what made NA a great site. but they dont care about that, all they care about is the data that it holds. RIP NA, vive la VGS!

I'm not sure what data they're even after that already isn't publicly available. 

On 10/30/2019 at 4:07 PM, TylerBarnes said:

Lol, I guess I will go down in history as having the last post on NA cause I am now indeed getting 503 Service errors. What prize do I get, haha

service.png

When I post my sales thread this weekend (hopefully), your prize is a free copy of the thing I'm listing 🙂

1 hour ago, nesking80 said:

really hate to see that they killed off a site with so much history, and a special culture, and replaced it with a husk that doesn't even remotely resemble what made NA a great site. but they dont care about that, all they care about is the data that it holds. RIP NA, vive la VGS!

From Age to Sage. Long live VGS.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

This has been my take too, while everyone has been flinging flaming torches at GoCollect, if I had any resentment to pass it would be to Dain. 

The way it all went down, the way it was handled, was very middle finger to the community - I feel that if he wanted to sell NA and keep its legacy alive he could have started with the community (as noted, others were offering to buy it from GC). 

Oh well, what's done is done I guess.  I feel bad for those who donated to NA to keep it alive, although I feel worst for all the admins/mods that put all their time into the site and apparently wasn't even thanked by Dain at the end :(.

It may take years, but I'm calling it.  We will see Dain's apology/explanation thread on this forum eventually.

8 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Dain is a consultant to Wata, collecting sealed games. Don’t know that he gives a crap about any of this. There’s an old interview with him on The Collectors Quest Podcast where he says “ I built this for me”. There’s a more recent interview on the same podcast with a Wata guy (sorry, I don’t remember his name) and he says that Wata people can’t and don’t buy games. Dain doesn’t “work” for them but he’s a consultant? None of this adds up. Dammit! Somebody get me some tinfoil. 

9A37811D-0A39-4C7C-8E52-4104C3FD2068.png

51BFF08A-5993-4084-BCBD-77B7AE31B431.png

47 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I'd take that bet. 

Yeah...Dain has moved on.

He is comfortable with the terms of the sale, or he wouldn't have gone through with it.

And I suspect he knew that we had a dedicated group that would be able to whip up a new and improved forum that fixed long running concerns.

Truth told, we are all better off with the new site.

And Dain got his buyout capital from some stooges at GoCollect instead of us, which doesn't hurt my feelings one bit.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Events Team · Posted
On 10/30/2019 at 5:07 PM, TylerBarnes said:

Lol, I guess I will go down in history as having the last post on NA cause I am now indeed getting 503 Service errors. What prize do I get, haha

1 hour ago, coffeewithmrsaturn said:

When I post my sales thread this weekend (hopefully), your prize is a free copy of the thing I'm listing 🙂

Sorry, Tyler.  You jumped the gun.  That distinction goes to @acromite53 at 1 in the morning on Halloween. 

20191101_192605.thumb.jpg.bb3e5fc8218b1c725a7530705cf0a739.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JamesRobot said:

Sorry, Tyler.  You jumped the gun.  That distinction goes to @acromite53 at 1 in the morning on Halloween. 

lol, for sure. There was quite the back and fourth in my other test thread of people trying to be the last poster anyways. That 503 was only temporary. 

38 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Yeah...Dain has moved on.

He is comfortable with the terms of the sale, or he wouldn't have gone through with it.

And I suspect he knew that we had a dedicated group that would be able to whip up a new and improved forum that fixed long running concerns.

Truth told, we are all better off with the new site.

And Dain got his buyout capital from some stooges at GoCollect instead of us, which doesn't hurt my feelings one bit.

Speaking truth with clarity and panache since 20XX.

Now get that Icarus avatar installed already!

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I already miss that olde NintendoAge design, with that sweet light blue color, those feedback scores besides username, the cute little icons, and that big fat Heritage Auction banner ad...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1