IGNORED

It's Official! NintendoAge is GONE

trj22487

I have also fully backed up the database. As in, literally downloaded the entire thing. Does http://web.archive.org/ have it? Yes, but is it complete with all images and working links? I'm not sure. So I made sure mine is.

It is perfectly legal to download bits and pieces of websites, but illegal to host them / distribute them. Could they IP ban for using so much bandwidth? Possibly, but they apparently have left the old NA to rot, so I don't think that is likely. I intend to back-up The Brewery, Protoculture, and the Help Wanted forums as well.

This is the enormous size of the database, with all pictures (including manuals):

1519368847_nadb.png.2756e2fcc210959fbc5a151c25ec77a7.png

• Like 7
  • Wow! 1

3 hours ago, Vaosu said:

I have also fully backed up the database. As in, literally downloaded the entire thing. Does http://web.archive.org/ have it? Yes, but is it complete with all images and working links? I'm not sure. So I made sure mine is.

It is perfectly legal to download bits and pieces of websites, but illegal to host them / distribute them. Could they IP ban for using so much bandwidth? Possibly, but they apparently have left the old NA to rot, so I don't think that is likely. I intend to back-up The Brewery, Protoculture, and the Help Wanted forums as well.

This is the enormous size of the database, with all pictures (including manuals):

1519368847_nadb.png.2756e2fcc210959fbc5a151c25ec77a7.png

How did you do it via the IP link? I too would like to back it up as well, just to have as many copies out there as possible. Once we figure out where to store it then we can go from there.

1 minute ago, GsoFly said:

How did you do it via the IP link? I too would like to back it up as well, just to have as many copies out there as possible. Once we figure out where to store it then we can go from there.

HTTrack. Takes a bit of figuring out with filters (so it doesn't download the entire internet) and command-line configuration to disable security measures which limit the speed and amount of connections.

9 hours ago, Vaosu said:

I intend to back-up The Brewery, Protoculture, and the Help Wanted forums as well.

I encountered an issue with link depth. With 900+ pages per subforum listing threads, HTTrack would only grab so much for me. I played around with the settings but could not grab any complete subforum, only threads listed on the first few and last few pages (since “last” is linked from the first page). I considered trying from deeper in the indexes, but haven’t had the time and somewhat lost inclination. After multiple attempts from different points in the listings, 2 full days and change apiece with the maximum number of connections, it’s a PITA. Maybe you’re already aware of this hurdle, but I’d suggest to audit what you’ve already got if you haven’t yet.

1 hour ago, Otherguy said:

How long for them to take to have the database appear? Or whoever they hired to create it?

I would not count on getting an answer anytime soon, if ever.

They can't even get a functional forum working. Nor do they seem eager to provide information on their future plans. 

If you want a games database, I suggest you look elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Otherguy said:

Like which ones? Can you think of any?

Bootgod's NES database. Maybe GVN if GoCollect hasn't already gutted it.

10 minutes ago, Otherguy said:

Maybe if someone can e-mail them.

That's been tried for other things. They are not very communicative, and they're not interested in providing much of anything to anyone when they do answer. It's probably a dry well.

Edited by Tulpa

16 hours ago, Otherguy said:

Will go collect still host the databases and others nintendoage previously hosted? Will they ever let us know when they'll be up?

We don't know, and quite frankly, we don't give a damn.

That's why we created this place.

• Like 4