IGNORED

It's Official! NintendoAge is GONE

trj22487

Man, the sadness is so real. Every time I type in the URL out of habit I see this shell of a website just filled with sadness noises. Thanks to everyone who took part in creating this great site and to those who help maintain it. It's a labor of love and so many of us have nothing but deep gratitude for those involved. I'm really looking forward to carrying on the secret Santa tradition and bringing in the New year with VGS. VIVA LA VGS!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Man, the sadness is so real. Every time I type in the URL out of habit I see this shell of a website just filled with sadness noises. Thanks to everyone who took part in creating this great site and to those who help maintain it. It's a labor of love and so many of us have nothing but deep gratitude for those involved. I'm really looking forward to carrying on the secret Santa tradition and bringing in the New year with VGS. VIVA LA VGS!

Sad indeed. NA was literally essential in bringing me back from a very dark place. I will miss it. However, I made lots of friends there that I am still friends with, IRL, on the Facebook, Instagram and now here at VGS.  There’s still a bunch of people missing here that I’d like to join, but I’ll take what I can get. 2020 is gonna be a very interesting year for this forum and I’m happy to be apart of it😀

• Like 2

That Mario_Friend1982 guy seems well on his way to making some kind of database. 😛

5 hours ago, Otherguy said:

And I don't think I even have time for this either

There's the rub. Hardly anyone does.

If you mean a duplicate of the NintendoAge database, keep in mind that thing evolved over years, and still wasn't 100% accurate in the end; the developer section was woefully and hilariously bad. And the rarity section was a point of constant differences of opinions.

I'm sure at some point a reasonable database will be constructed.

Edited by Tulpa

8 hours ago, Otherguy said:

I don't know how to do it. I'm kinda all thumbs and I don't even have the equipment to make it from scratch. And I don't think I even have time for this either

Thats the problem. A lot of people have ideas, but dont have the time or ability. Sometimes to get things done you just have to do it yourself. 
i dont know of anyone who is a member of the mod/admin team that is looking to take on that task, sorry. Maybe someday, but not today. 

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Vaosu said:

Has anyone worked with any web database software that uses PHP/MySQL, Commercial or Open Source? I have not, but I've been looking around for some. I could make a database, but my issue lies in not being a good enough programmer to make it not susceptible to SQLi attacks.

Yeah, sup? 

9 hours ago, Vaosu said:

Has anyone worked with any web database software that uses PHP/MySQL, Commercial or Open Source? I have not, but I've been looking around for some. I could make a database, but my issue lies in not being a good enough programmer to make it not susceptible to SQLi attacks.

Prepared statements, regular backups, disaster recovery plan. Gotta start somewhere.

Here's what you do:

Make a paid subscription database, proceeds from it go to paying the bills for hosting the database itself and also for VGS. People who contribute towards the database get a discount member price or maybe a kickback of sorts, to make it worth their while. Or maybe keep the database free, with a contribution pot, and the pot gets divided up every year amongst those who put forth efforts, based on how much effort they put forth.

I'm kinda confused. 

What was the point in wiping SegaAge and PlaystationAge if they aren't a focus for GC right now? Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems like a waste of time and pointless on their end. It wasn't like an archive couldn't have been kept for these two sites as well since they haven't been used at all right now as far as I can see. I just despise the whole situation. Though I'm not surprised the for profit has infiltrated and killed the site.  

Edited by NZCollector

• 3 months later...