IGNORED

It's Official! NintendoAge is GONE

trj22487

Moderator · Posted

I too was sad to see the way NA was snuffed out. This was why VGS was created. There was a lot of things going on behind the scenes and the mods/admins were just left out to dry. We asked tons of questions, made some basics requests, we all provided feedback on how the new NA could be better. 

Given the way it looks, all that fell on deaf ears. I was positive it was going to be NA v2, not GoCollect forums. But this is in line with GoCollect's vision, which is totally fine, thats their brand and they're looking for a single pane of glass. Its just really sad. 

I hope that any of the NA folks that thought we (admin/mods) were simply casting gloom and doom can understand that our comments and actions we legitimate. We weren't being negative, we saw the writing on the walls and we took action. We all love NA. We wouldn't have been there (and now here) for that long if we didn't. 

My 2¢

• Like 8

It just occurred to me now that I've slept on it:

Y'know how EA buys studios, milks them dry, then throws them away? This is the retrogaming/collecting equivalent. It's soulless and corporate. We knew that already, but I think the comparison to EA is fairly accurate, only with EA it takes years for them to nuke a studio, it took GoCollect only months to do the same to NA.

I think the staff here deserve another shout-out for giving us a place to go to so quickly. Thanks again!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Moderator · Posted
38 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

Y'know how EA buys studios, milks them dry, then throws them away? This is the retrogaming/collecting equivalent. It's soulless and corporate. We knew that already, but I think the comparison to EA is fairly accurate, only with EA it takes years for them to nuke a studio, it took GoCollect only months to do the same to NA.

I think the staff here deserve another shout-out for giving us a place to go to so quickly. Thanks again!

I think this has been mentioned a few times, GoCollect was pretty clear that the purchase was DB focused. Its not too surprising that they went this route. To your point its more corporate than anything else. The soulless part is how they're treating the members. Very sad...

RIP NA 😞

In all fairness, the clock was ticking and on Oct 30 the lights were going out regardless of sale or not, if it weren't sold it would probably be lost for good, at least GoCollect made the effort to archive it so I'd give them that.

Having said that seems a bit unfortunate that GoCollect view on the hobby is basically collectibles as investments, I've been collecting video games for a while now and my primary motivation is that I like games and collecting was fun, I never purchased any video game thinking it was an investment, I always looked for good deals, stuff priced under market value, those are always solid purchases, instant profit basically, no speculation whatsoever, purchasing collectibles at market value to speculate just doesn't seem like a fun thing to do, to me at least.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RH said:

There is a small chance/argument to be made that the discussions facilitating this site brought about the NA changes.  Well, they might have at least expedited them.

Chicken or egg?

Nah, we had nothing to do with their servers shutting down.

Furthermore, we had pleaded with them for months to make the necessary changes to NA to PREVENT that sort of thing from happening to the site, and they either told us "no", or ignored us. 

What happened to NA is entirely on them. We didn't affect their timeline at all. They could have been better prepared, or planned for a better transition, but they chose not to.

We waited as long as we could afford before giving up on GoCollect and NA. But if we had truly known how shitty GoCollect's plans for NA were, we'd have began work on VGS even sooner, and had this place polished up a little more before going live.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Nintendoage was my game collecting home for nearly 10 years.  Sad to see it go away, lots of great memories and discussion there.  Guess the cart competitions and secret Santa were some of my favorite things.  The gaming competitions were also great!  I guess some of the content lives on in a Frankenstein gocollect sort of way, but the name is gone and it looks like the vast vast majority of the community went with it.  RIP Nintnedoage.  Thanks to videogamesage who saw the writing on the wall and was able to give us Nintendoagers a new home.  Now time to work on converting some of my old informational threads to live on here.     

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

52 minutes ago, Abelardo said:

RIP NA 😞

In all fairness, the clock was ticking and on Oct 30 the lights were going out regardless of sale or not, if it weren't sold it would probably be lost for good, at least GoCollect made the effort to archive it so I'd give them that.

You're giving them WAY too much credit...

A group of current VGS staff made every effort to pry NA from GoCollect's souless hands. Our intent being to archive/port NA the right way and maintain it as a standalone forum. Don't give them ANY credit for holding NA hostage and ensuring that it dies in a subsection of the GoCollect site... 

They killed the site. It didn't have to die.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nightowljrm said:

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

You're giving them WAY too much credit...

A group of current VGS staff made every effort to pry NA from GoCollect's souless hands. Our intent being to archive/port NA the right way and maintain it as a standalone forum. Don't give them ANY credit for holding NA hostage and seeing to it that dies in a subsection of the GoCollect site... 

They killed the site. It didn't have to die.

I might be giving too much credit, GoCollect handled it so poorly that I wasn't expecting to have anything archived at all, anyways as you said they've pretty much killed the site, glad the community is here in VGS so seeing NA die doesn't feel as tragic as I thought it would be.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, fsped09 said:

Why are you trying to stir things up? Theres no need for stuff like that. 

Exactly stir what up? I’m trying to get perma banned so I can’t log back in. It’s pretty obvious there’s not much to be stirred on my part anymore  

P.S. all the stirring up was done already when it was decided to branch out 

Edited by Bear85

1 minute ago, Bear85 said:

Exactly stir what up? I’m trying to get perma banned so I can’t log back in. It’s pretty obvious there’s not much to be stirred on my part anymore  

So just don't log in?    That approach has worked well for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bear85 said:

Seems a bit senseless to me, not all that difficult to just walk away if you don't wish to be a part of the place instead of making a scene.

• Like 5

Moderator · Posted
1 minute ago, Bear85 said:

Come on, have some self control. The fact that you're "trying to get perma banned" is in fact the part that you're stirring up. If you don't want to be a part of that forum, just don't go there. Its way easier to avoid the site, than ensure that you're account is blocked. 

• Like 5