IGNORED

2021 VGS NES Tournament

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Hello and welcome! @guillavoie and I have the honour to present the 2021 VGS NES Tournament, which picks the top 16 players of the season to play among themselves to decide the 2021 VGS NES Tournament Champion.

@Dr. Morbis was already crowned the 2021 VGS NES Weekly Contest Champion and will have the chance to add another title to his collection should he choses to play in the tournament.

While we wait for our top 16 players to confirm their participation and see if we will have to hunt for replacements, here are how the things will run for this tournament.

21th to 28th - Pools, single elimination, 16 players.
28th to 5th - top 8, single elimination, 8 players
5th to 12th - Grand finals, 4 players, everyone against everyone.

For Pools and Top 8, a selection of games will be given for the top seeded players to pick.
The seeding for Pools 1 will be as follow:

• Bracket 1: 1st place vs 16th place
  • Bracket 2: 2nd place vs 15th place
  • Bracket 3: 3rd place vs 14th place
  • Bracket 4: 4th place vs 13th place
  • Bracket 5: 5th place vs 12th place
  • Bracket 6: 6th place vs 11th place
  • Bracket 7: 7th place vs 10th place
  • Bracket 8: 8th place vs 9th place

The seeding for top 8 will be as follow:

• Winner of bracket 1 vs winner of bracket 8
  • Winner of bracket 2 vs winner of bracket 7
  • Winner of bracket 3 vs winner of bracket 6
  • Winner of bracket 4 vs winner of bracket 5

The games for Pools are below:
Pooyan (shooter)
Challenger (plataformer)
Kero Kero Keroppi no Daibouken (puzzle)
Ninja Hattori-kun (action)
Taito Chase H.Q. (racing)

The games for top 8 will be revealed at the end of the Pools phase.

Confirmed players:
@Dr. Morbis
@Krunch
@0xDEAFC0DE
@docile tapeworm
@bertsampson
@NESfiend
@Bearcat-Doug 
@Jeevan
@PII
@the_wizard_666
@FireHazard51
@mbd39
@Ausden
@MegaMan52
@JamesRobot
@Mega Tank

Good luck for all the players. Expect some nastiness in game selection for top 8 and for the grand finals.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Events Team · Posted

We have our game selections and the brackets are set.

@Dr. Morbis vs @Mega Tank - Pooyan
@NESfiend vs @Ausden - Chase HQ
@PII vs @FireHazard51 - Chase HQ
@0xDEAFC0DE vs @MegaMan52 - Kero Kero Keroppi no Daibouken
@mbd39 vs @JamesRobot - Pooyan
@bertsampson vs @the_wizard_666 - Kero Kero Keroppi no Daibouken
@Krunch vs @docile tapeworm - Challenger
@Jeevan vs @Bearcat-Doug Challenger 

The rules for the games are as follow:

Pooyan:

• Play till game over
  • Highest score wins.

Chase HQ:

• One life only. You may not use any continues.
  • Highest score wins
  • If you beat stage 7, take your picture at the capture screen

Kero Kero Keroppi no Daibouken:

• Play till game over
  • Highest score wins
  • If you make to world 8, stage 8, take your picture right before you finish it.

Challenger:

• Start at the default difficulty setting
  • 1 life only
  • Highest score wins
  • If you roll the score, take a picture before rolling it.
  • Score rolls at 6,553,500 points
  • You can loop the game as many times as you desire.

You may begin competing to see who will advance to the top 8.
Game on!

7 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

1st place vs 16th place? I'm going up against the champ at the beginning of the Tournament?

That's how brackets work.  We don't have divisions set up here to split the competition, so yeah, 1st vs 16th is the norm.

Also, you might move up...there's at least one confirmed to not be playing.

Edited by the_wizard_666

46 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I told @BeaIank I would only join in if we could play Antarctic adventures again.  She said that was totally fine!

I've never played it, but it looks like Slalom with a penguin. Can we play Frostbite for the Atari 2600? I'm pretty good at that.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

I told @BeaIank I would only join in if we could play Antarctic adventures again.  She said that was totally fine!

I am fairly certain this isn't true, but I am holding out serious hope that it is. And not because I won that week. Its just such an awesomely addicting game and one where playing for score makes it so much more fun. I don't want to wait til 2024 to play it again!

49 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I am fairly certain this isn't true, but I am holding out serious hope that it is. And not because I won that week. Its just such an awesomely addicting game and one where playing for score makes it so much more fun. I don't want to wait til 2024 to play it again!

Hopefully there are some NES games in the NES tournament sooner than later. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

So far, two players refused the invitation due to being very busy.
A round of applause for them for their valiant run in the VGS NES Weekly Contest!

This could really shake things up if one is in the top 8. @Jeevanmove to 7 would mean a morbus free round 2 and @Bearcat-Dougwould be forced to off his bestie in @docile tapeworm. Would be a strange site, like watching han and chewie in a head to head battle 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This could really shake things up if one is in the top 8. @Jeevanmove to 7 would mean a morbus free round 2 and @Bearcat-Dougwould be forced to off his bestie in @docile tapeworm. Would be a strange site, like watching han and chewie in a head to head battle 

If I move up to 7th, that would give me game selection rights in the first round too. @Dr. Morbis and @Krunch are the only players in the top 8 that haven't confirmed, but it looks like they haven't logged in since the invitations went out so the cancelations must have come from lower in the standings.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Not before I get one of these in

4693787B-35EC-4357-B60D-16FC97AA54A5.gif

Cheating isn't allowed! 😂

Cheating

- Cheating will NOT be tolerated in any form. This contest is based on trust and honor. Anyone found cheating will be banned from further competition.
- The use of point glitches to intentionally increase (or in the case of a low score contest, decrease) your score are frowned upon and not allowed in the contests.  If a point glitch is discovered that can create an unfair advantage, the rules for the game will be altered to ban the glitch.  Anyone suspected of using point glitches will have their score disqualified.
- If there is suspicion of a participant cheating, the contest moderators will review the case and the member may be asked to present further evidence of their score.  Further evidence includes, but is not limited to, video recordings and/or extra pictures.
- If you suspect another participant of cheating, do NOT call them out in the contest threads.  Please send a PM to the contest organizers and we will review the score.  Posting accusations in the contest threads creates unnecessary drama and stress for all involved and will NOT be tolerated.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

33 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

@Dr. Morbis and @Krunch are the only players in the top 8 that haven't confirmed, but it looks like they haven't logged in since the invitations went out so the cancelations must have come from lower in the standings.

This is some high level investigation. I love it!