IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 1

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

After a whole year of fierce battles, bantering, mad gaming skills, we have reached the 2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest TOURNAMENT!

@guillavoie and I will be your host through this incredible journey!

8 brave warriors stood up to the challenge that is ahead:

@PII
@mbd39
@Richardhead
@Dr. Morbis
@NESfiend
@BlackVega
@SuperJimtendo
@RH

They will have to prove their mettle in 2 rounds of tournament and at the grand final to prove who is the gamest player of them all here!

For the tournament round, each game will award points in the following fashion:

1st: 6
2nd: 4
3rd: 3
4th: 2
5th: 1
6th and over: 0 points.

On the final round, there will be more points to be gained.

For this week, our players will prove their skills at two games:

Representing the beat'em up genre, we have TOXIC CRUSADER!
The rules are as follow:

• Start on stage 5 using the password 7011 or a game genie code
  • Play till you die the first time or you reach stage 6
  • Point pressing is allowed
  • Highest score wins.

And for the Puzzle genre, we have Boulder Dash!
The rules are:

• Play the Volcano World on quest 02 using the password 827100 
  • Play till you lose a life or beat Volcano World
  • Highest score wins

For thanksgiving weekend, there will be no tournament round. Round 02 will start on the 26th of November.

May the gamest gamer win!

The contest ends Sunday, 11/19/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Love 1

Events Team · Posted

Toxic Crusader

1st BlackVega 99,900
2nd Dr. Morbis 24,500
3rd PII 4,400
4th Richardhead 2,300
5th SuperJimtendo 1,900
6th mbd39 1,700
7th RH 800

Boulder Dash

1st BlackVega 14,319
2nd PII 4,440
3rd Dr. Morbis 3,840
4th Richardhead 3,645
5th SuperJimtendo 1,570
6th mbd39 1,320
7th RH 630

TOURNAMENT SCOREBOARD

1st BlackVega 12
2nd PII 7
2nd Dr. Morbis 7
4th Richardhead 4
5th SuperJimtendo 2
6th mbd39 0
6th RH 0
  • Angry 1

14 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Bea, you’re a monster!!

Well, I will say that on my first trial, I was surprised at how Toxic Crusaders didn't feel hard.  It was just bland.   My current problem is that playing on the Analog Pocket, the d-pad is a bit too easy to "roll" and my key-entry isn't great.

I also found that with Boulder Dash, it really REALL suffered from the d-pad on the Pocket and I could just tell that it was a game that would be far easier on an actual NES.  This is because I feel like with BD, you almost have to hit a rhythm and you have to tap out each step.  If you can't hit it right, you don't get far.  The difference between an NES pad and the Analog Pocket pad made a real diffence.

I'm going to keep working at Toxic Crusaders, but I'm not sure I can do much better with Boulder Dash with my current setup.  It's a very precise game and I don't think I can hit it.  @Gloves, I really would have loved seeing your score on that one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, I will say that on my first trial, I was surprised at how Toxic Crusaders didn't feel hard.  It was just bland.   My current problem is that playing on the Analog Pocket, the d-pad is a bit too easy to "roll" and my key-entry isn't great.

I also found that with Boulder Dash, it really REALL suffered from the d-pad on the Pocket and I could just tell that it was a game that would be far easier on an actual NES.  This is because I feel like with BD, you almost have to hit a rhythm and you have to tap out each step.  If you can't hit it right, you don't get far.  The difference between an NES pad and the Analog Pocket pad made a real diffence.

I'm going to keep working at Toxic Crusaders, but I'm not sure I can do much better with Boulder Dash with my current setup.  It's a very precise game and I don't think I can hit it.  @Gloves, I really would have loved seeing your score on that one.

I’m playing on the nes and BD is just as laggy. 

• Agree 1

Paging @Dr. Morbis @mbd39 @NESfiend @BlackVega  @PII

lets get this show on the road. I know some of you are holding until the last moment.
I’ve posted my final scores.

I’m working 2 jobs(70 hours a week) and I’ve got mine up. Let’s see what you fellas got. 

Edited by Richardhead

1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

lets get this show on the road. I know some of you are holding until the last moment.

I’m working 2 jobs(70 hours a week) and I’ve got mine up. Let’s see what you fellas got. 

This week I was approved for OT at one job. So it’s actually 80 hours this week!

1 hour ago, Richardhead said:

I'm terrible at puzzle games so I'm sure as shit not holding on Boulder Dash.  I don't know if I'm even going to be able to beat the first level, but I'll try my damnest to beat your posted score... 😛

• Love 1