IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Championship information

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Hello worthy players!

We should be moving on with the tournament, but I will be super extra busy in the next weeks and won't be able to run it properly.

So, I would like your feedback on this.

Should we run it between the end of US Thanksgiving and Xmas, run it in January 2024 or just go on and try to run it in the next three weeks?

The qualified players are:

@PII @Gloves @Bearcat-Doug @mbd39 @Richardhead @Dr. Morbis @NESfiend @docile tapeworm

On the call list, we have @BlackVega @SuperJimtendo @G-type @RH

Awaiting your feedback on this.

~Bea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

If this is supposed to be 2023 challenge then maybe we should all take our time and do it near the end of the year before xmas?? That is if I have a chance to speak here

In the end of the day doesn't matter much to me anyway. I only participated in a few games and didn't focus on these challenges very much because of lack of time

Edited by BlackVega

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'll make time whenever it happens, but if we could do it before year's end, that would be cool since it's the 2023 tourney, but I'll be in regardless, so no worries 🙂

No worries here, one of the main argument to starts the tournament later is to have it done between US Thanksgiving and the Xmas Holidays. Giving that it will most probably have 3 rounds, the tournament would start on 26 of November and ends by the 17 of December.

Edit : Okay, I see now that Bea actually proposed January 2024 in the OP, but I'd say it is highly unlikely we do that for the sake of keeping things in 2023. If she's still overwhelmed in late November, I'll naturally step in to starts things off for everyone to have this done and finished before the Xmas Holidays.

Put me on the list of what works for bea, works for me. I like the idea of playing before xmas. I also like the idea of having a round between xmas and new years, the most unproductive month of the calendar year - if that works for mods. Not exactly within beas parameters, but close. 

Events Team · Posted

It seems that the time between Thanksgiving and xmas is the preferable one.

And we will have time to do 4 rounds for the tournament. This is nice.

I already have a list of games in mind, but I will have to proof of concept the rules I am considering for them. I would run them starting next week, but I was dropped a truckload of new features to develop at work, so that would get in the way of running the tournament.

I will keep you guys posted and I will post the list of games we will run this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2023 at 10:25 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Same here, but I'll likely pass my spot to someone on the "on call" list to give a new player a shot at playing in the tournament. 

I’m playing since it’s between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Good thing you aren’t playing though. I would hate to knock you out early.

1 hour ago, Richardhead said:

I’m playing since it’s between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Good thing you aren’t playing though. I would hate to knock you out early.

I try to distance myself from the internet and focus on my family time between Thanksgiving and Christmas since my parents aren't getting any younger. From one former champion to another, I hope you to win another one this year.

• Wow! 1

• 3 weeks later...
Events Team · Posted

It is definitely good that we postponed this. Work has been even more busy than I expected.

There is a national holiday coming this week. I will be able to double check videos of the games I picked up to see if the rules I have in mind will work and post the details next weekend.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

I will be sending the invites to the eligible players starting on the 15th to confirm your participation on the tournament.

For the games, we will be using the following ones:
Arcade: Commando, with the use of the level select code to start on stage 7 (one life only) (https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Commando/NES_Walkthrough#Secret_codes)

Shooter: Galaga - Play still stage 31 (one life only)

Beat'em up: Toxic Crusaders - Starting on stage 5 - Password 7011 (one life only)

Puzzle: Boulder Dash, Quest 02 - Volcano World - Password 827100 (one life only)

Sports: Capcom's Gold Medal Challenge '92 - Events: 100 metres dash, Triple Jump, Javelin Throw, Shot Put, Weight Lifting,

Action & extra game for finals: It is a secret for everbody.

May you training commence!

• Like 3

On 10/8/2023 at 10:10 AM, BlackVega said:

If this is supposed to be 2023 challenge then maybe we should all take our time and do it near the end of the year before xmas?? That is if I have a chance to speak here

In the end of the day doesn't matter much to me anyway. I only participated in a few games and didn't focus on these challenges very much because of lack of time

You did pretty well when you did play so don't sell yourself short.

Administrator · Posted
13 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did you and @Gloves end up sitting out too? @PII is probably already making room on his trophy shelf with all of us out. 😂

Unfortunately real life has been an issue lately requiring a lot of my time, too much to play any game competitively.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Unfortunately real life has been an issue lately requiring a lot of my time, too much to play any game competitively.

Same here so I wanted to give one of the new guys a shot. I haven't played either of these games anyway so I doubt that I would have had the time to give it a proper effort.