IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser (PC, 2015) - This is a really fun horizontal shoot 'em up by a Japanese indie dev.  It's in the style of 1960s/70s anime (like Astro Boy or Gigantor).  The game has a lot of character and the gameplay/mechanics/bosses are solid.  I'm about halfway through at the moment.  Good challenge but not relentless, and the charm and strong mechanics of the game makes me want to continue.

Eternal Darkness (Gamecube, 2001) -  This has been on my backlog for years, finally getting to it.  I never owned a Gamecube but this game always intrigued me. I'm currently about 8 hours in and it's surpassed my expectations.  Don't want to spoil it incase anyone hasn't played yet, but I'd recommend it if you've been on the fence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nesmaster14 said:

Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser (PC, 2015) - This is a really fun horizontal shoot 'em up by a Japanese indie dev.  It's in the style of 1960s/70s anime (like Astro Boy or Gigantor).  The game has a lot of character and the gameplay/mechanics/bosses are solid.  I'm about halfway through at the moment.  Good challenge but not relentless, and the charm and strong mechanics of the game makes me want to continue.

Eternal Darkness (Gamecube, 2001) -  This has been on my backlog for years, finally getting to it.  I never owned a Gamecube but this game always intrigued me. I'm currently about 8 hours in and it's surpassed my expectations.  Don't want to spoil it incase anyone hasn't played yet, but I'd recommend it if you've been on the fence.

Loved Eternal Darkness! Easily one of the best Lovecraft games out there (and there have been many)! I will not spoil anything, but I will say you will need to replay it a few times to get the "true" ending - worth it 🙂

• Like 1

This week I played:

Battletoads/Double Dragon for Genesis - completed as Billy (with savestates)

Donkey Kong Land for Game Boy- completed 100%

Mario Kart 64 for Nintendo 64 - completed all four 50cc races with gold trophies as Mario

Mole Mania for Game Boy- completed 100%

Tiny Toon Adventures for NES - completed with save states

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 for Playstation 2 - completed Dragon World mode once and got Goku's Breakthrough capsule

I'll let you guys decide, if you want to chime in.  Here are your options.

• Finish Metroid Dread
  • Phantasy Star IV (on Switch)
  • Shadows of the Empire (on N64, for the Complete N64 Library event)
  • Final Fantasy Legend (on GB, for the Complete Game Boy Library event)
  • Banjo-Kazooie (Switch.  Beat it, 100% as a kid, but I honestly don't remember much about it other than it being awesome.)

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, RH said:

• Finish Metroid Dread
  • Banjo-Kazooie (Switch.  Beat it, 100% as a kid, but I honestly don't remember much about it other than it being awesome.)

Some great games here, I'd probably say to finish Dread, unless you stopped playing it because you weren't enjoying it. As far as starting a new game goes, FF Legend is one of my favorite old RPGs (less so than FFL2, mind you), but I'd warn that there's at least one part where it's a significant effort to "puzzle solve" to proceed, otherwise you'd wanna use a guide when you get stuck, and the final boss is a huge difficulty spike.

Banjo Kazooie would be my second choice I think, re-experiencing the game is awesome, I did so a few years ago and it was thoroughly enjoyable start to finish.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Playing through DKC3 for the first time in 25+ years.

I'm actually thinking I must have played through just a single time.  Or at least only one time to full completion.  Because a lot of it is only vaguely familiar to me, and I'm usually pretty proud of my long term memory.

2 hours ago, RH said:

• Finish Metroid Dread

Phantasy Star IV is probably in my top 5 16 bit RPGs, right behind FF6 and Chrono Trigger. It's just the right mix of pacing and difficulty with a cool Scifi story. There's always something cool happening. And of course that awesome Genesis soundtrack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RH said:

• Finish Metroid Dread

The only one I've played is Metroid Dread. I didn't love it (see my short review in the backlog thread), but it's more enjoyable once you get all the power-ups and the last boss is probably the best part of the game.

Still trying to get into Guardians of the Galaxy but it's not really jiving with me for some reason. Combat isn't that great and there's a fair amount of nothingness from point A to B. Also, Rocket annoys the shit out of me in the game. Constantly bitching about something. 

If I end up moving onto something new, it'll probably be Returnal, Godfall, or Medium. At least until GT7 hits in a couple weeks because once that drops, I'll probably exclusively play that for some time. 

Since I finished up Cloudpunk on Switch a week or so ago, I started Carrion and am finally giving Earthbound a proper try. Jeff just joined my party and I'm digging it so will hopefully continue to see it through. 

• Like 1

I've been playing Q*bert's Qubes again lately on Colecovision.  I finally made it past the Hell-Realm otherwise known as Level 8 which requires 4 tic-tac-toes and sends an almost never ending onslaught of Sams to undo Q*bert's progress.  It froze up on me here on level 9 - 2 which also requires 4 tic-tac-toes, but mostly left out the Sams making things much easier.  It was the first level to repeat the required number of tic-tac-toes (not counting levels 1 & 2) but since the enemy spawn/behavior is different I don't think it constitutes the beginning of an endless repeating of the hardest level or two, as happens in arcade Q*bert.  Makes me wonder what levels 10 and 11 are going to be like.  It seems that no one on youtube has made it past 7-4 so if anybody around here knows what I have to look forward to on 10 give me a shout..

2:15:22 9-2 494,190 (freeze).png

• Like 2

Been playing Swords and Serpents on the NES for the last few days.  Still as fun as I remember, but some of the later stages have really been pissing me off with their level gimmicks while trying to map.  It's neat that they figured out how to do wrapping borders, but FFS, warn a guy, lol!  Based on the incomplete map I found in the back of my original manual, it looks like I only ever got part of the way through level 6 as a kid.  Right now I've been to 8 and technically found the stairs to 9 but didn't go down, as I haven't yet mapped all of level 8 properly and it was annoying me too much to keep doing this evening.  I have to say that I'm a little disappointed that all of the guides and such I have from when I was younger that reference the game are basically useless in regard to finishing the game.  Nothing discusses in depth how the magic spells work and what they all do, the Nintendo Power 4 Player Guide issue cuts off after level 5, and the big generic guide I've had forever just vaguely hints around at things.  Gee thanks guys, I could have gotten a shrug and "just pay attention to the clues, you'll figure it out" from one of my parents back in the day.  🤣

On 2/15/2022 at 9:33 PM, PII said:

I've been playing Q*bert's Qubes again lately on Colecovision.  I finally made it past the Hell-Realm otherwise known as Level 8 which requires 4 tic-tac-toes and sends an almost never ending onslaught of Sams to undo Q*bert's progress.  It froze up on me here on level 9 - 2 which also requires 4 tic-tac-toes, but mostly left out the Sams making things much easier.  It was the first level to repeat the required number of tic-tac-toes (not counting levels 1 & 2) but since the enemy spawn/behavior is different I don't think it constitutes the beginning of an endless repeating of the hardest level or two, as happens in arcade Q*bert.  Makes me wonder what levels 10 and 11 are going to be like.  It seems that no one on youtube has made it past 7-4 so if anybody around here knows what I have to look forward to on 10 give me a shout..

2:15:22 9-2 494,190 (freeze).png

Awesome work!  I've always wanted a home version of Q*Bert's Qubes, but nobody made one for the systems I have.  Surprised it didn't get at least a Nintendo version (instead we got Q*Bert 3 for SNES and a bunch of remakes of the original).

• Thanks 1

Has anyone played much with the Arcade Archives series?

I've spent way more time than I expected with "Kangaroo" on Nintendo Switch.  Crazy fun game that has only now been emulated properly (all the MAME records abuse incorrect behavior of certain enemies).

All-time first for me: I have the #1 spot on an in-game online leaderboard.  Scores are all pretty low, but this is a low scoring game, especially with game settings that only allow a total of 4 lives (start with 3, bonus at 10,000).

Still working on improving this score, but here's what I have so far, reaching level 5-3:

20220131_230957.jpg

20220131_230805.jpg

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted
45 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Has anyone played much with the Arcade Archives series?

I've spent way more time than I expected with "Kangaroo" on Nintendo Switch.  Crazy fun game that has only now been emulated properly (all the MAME records abuse incorrect behavior of certain enemies).

All-time first for me: I have the #1 spot on an in-game online leaderboard.  Scores are all pretty low, but this is a low scoring game, especially with game settings that only allow a total of 4 lives (start with 3, bonus at 10,000).

Still working on improving this score, but here's what I have so far, reaching level 5-3:

20220131_230957.jpg

20220131_230805.jpg

I've played all of the AA games released up to 2017, but none after that. 

7 hours ago, rdrunner said:

I've always wanted a home version of Q*Bert's Qubes

G-type just got me into the Atari 2600 version ala the Atari 2600 Leaderboard, which I've been playing online.  I would def. recommend both versions.  For me, having played the Coleco version a lot and the arcade version  once, it's like getting a bunch of unique levels added on to one of my favorite games.