IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

As mentioned in another thread I'm back to playing Breath of the Wild.  I'm attempting to finally 100% it.  

I'm simultaneously playing through Skyward Sword HD, but that's more of me helping my kids as they get stuck.  My kids are enjoying it which is great, but it's really frustrating me.  It could have been a really fun game if it wasn't designed around motion controls.   

13 hours ago, avatar! said:

Although they got rid of the necessity for motion control, it's still awkward?

You have the option for motion control, or using the right analogue stick to determine the angle of the sword swing.  The problem is that the analogue stick reacts to your input about as accurately as the motion control does which means it's a crap shoot as to whether Link swings his sword in the direction you intended.  The problem is that the game is designed around being able to swing your sword in a variety of directions both in puzzles and in combat, so they can't just replace the sword swinging with a single button press.  

The other major issue is the camera which can only be described as broken.  I know the original camera is built around motion controls as well, and since the right analogue stick controls the sword, it's can't control the camera at the same time as well, but there were still better options than what was presented in the game.  When you push the "lock-on" button near an enemy, you better be absolutely sure you are facing the enemy head on or you will turn your back to the enemy and open yourself up for an attack.  It makes the camera controls in Mario 64 look modern by comparison.  

The game itself seems well designed.  The story is enjoyable.  The graphics are acceptable, and the level design feels fun despite the many motion based puzzles.  The game is unfortunately a product of its time and that time was during the motion control era.  😐

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm still chipping away at Mario 64. I really don't like this game but I feel like I need to play through it at least once. The camera and controls are just so, so terrible. Currently sitting at about 55 stars. Also working on Halo Infinite which is fantastic. I think I'll wrap these both up in the next week.

• Like 1

Since I'm doing the game play log on AtariAge I figure I ought to just echo my progress portion of the post here since I'm playing a lot of different things. The past week I have done:

Dragon Warrior for NES - beat the Dragonlord with my character at only level 20 this time. I was only doing 5-15 damage per turn but was still able to wear him down and kept using Healmore to survive.

Mario Paint for SNES - just played the flyswatter mini game

Super Mario All-Stars for SNES - cleared all levels of all four games

Super Off-Road for SNES - played  for a little over an hour until I felt like playing something else and created a save state to pick up from later

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES - played through the whole game.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 for PS2 - continuing to beat Dragon World mode over and over again to get all the breakthrough, fusion and rare capsules. Goku, Gohan, Vegeta and Trunks (Future) are my most used characters.

I finally got Breath of the Wild to 100%.  This was my first time accomplishing it, although I was somewhat close in my original playthrough on the Wii U.  

In addition to the 100% in game completion, I've done nearly everything else that can possibly be done in the game which isn't included in the 100% in game counter.  That includes

• Completing all main quests, sides quests, shrine quests and memories (including DLC)
  • Finding all armor and upgrading each piece of armor 4 times (including DLC armor)
  • Finishing the Hyrule Compendium
  • All Mini Boss Medals 
  • Maxing out all inventory slots
  • Completely upgrading the Sheikah Slate 
  • Upgrading the Master Sword to maximum

The only thing in the game I'm missing is one of the horse saddles which requires a 1:15 time in the obstacle course.  My best is only 1:18 and I find this stupid obstacle course to be one of the few infuriating things in the game.  I also have not acquired any of the Amiibo armor or horse gear since I don't own any Amiibo.  I doubt I will ever bother with that since upgrading the Amiibo armor requires 160 star fragments and farming that much would not be fun.  Oddly enough I actually enjoyed finding all 900 korok seeds.  That part was surprisingly relaxing.  

20220116_004347.jpg

• Wow! 3

Started up Metroid Dread. A few first impressions:

1. As others have mentioned, the controls don't feel entirety intuitive. I'm not sure if it's the mapping or the movement but it feels slightly off.
  2. The game is fast which I love. High mobility in Metroidvanias is really important to me.
  3. I can't shake the feeling that this doesn't really feel like a $60 game. In a world where there are multiple interesting indie Metroidvanias released every year, just having the Metroid name attached isn't enough. We'll see how it shakes out as I get further into the game.
  4. The Switch is really showing its age. The game looks fantastic in portable mode, especially on an OLED screen, but it does not hold up when you put it on a nice 4k display. After a year of playing really sharp looking Series X and PS5 games, the sub 1080p resolution of Dread looks terrible.

Overall I'm enjoying the game, but I don't see it beating my other 2021 favorites (Halo and Psychonauts).

Editorials Team · Posted
11 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I finally got Breath of the Wild to 100%.  This was my first time accomplishing it, although I was somewhat close in my original playthrough on the Wii U.  

In addition to the 100% in game completion, I've done nearly everything else that can possibly be done in the game which isn't included in the 100% in game counter.  That includes

• Completing all main quests, sides quests, shrine quests and memories (including DLC)
  • Finding all armor and upgrading each piece of armor 4 times (including DLC armor)
  • Finishing the Hyrule Compendium
  • All Mini Boss Medals 
  • Maxing out all inventory slots
  • Completely upgrading the Sheikah Slate 
  • Upgrading the Master Sword to maximum

The only thing in the game I'm missing is one of the horse saddles which requires a 1:15 time in the obstacle course.  My best is only 1:18 and I find this stupid obstacle course to be one of the few infuriating things in the game.  I also have not acquired any of the Amiibo armor or horse gear since I don't own any Amiibo.  I doubt I will ever bother with that since upgrading the Amiibo armor requires 160 star fragments and farming that much would not be fun.  Oddly enough I actually enjoyed finding all 900 korok seeds.  That part was surprisingly relaxing.  

I'm 50 hours into BotW and have never heard of most of the things you mention haha (though it's also been a few years since I played it)

After ten years, my neice and I beat twilight princess. We started playing the game together when she was three. We could only play the game when we were both together at my mother in laws house. 

When we first started she would hold a wii remote and think she was playing while I would do everything. After she caught on to that, she would hold the nunchuck and I'd hold the wii the wii remote. That was probably the slowest progress through at that point. Looking at our last save, it had been almost two years exactly since the last time we were able to play. We had made it to Hyrule Castle at and saved. 

It didnt take long to climb the castle and defeat ganon. She was the one to have the final duel with ganon. It's been a long, fun, ten years to finish the game. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I'm a long ways into Ultima IV and the grind is brutal. The avoidable overworld encounters in Ultima III were a game changer! There's a great exploration-based RPG buried under this nonsense, it's kind of unfortunate. Reminds me of Sweet Home in that sense.

NES or PC version?

I finished Tales of Symphonia 2. Not super pleased with the end, but neither was I pleased with the majority of the game. Which is a shame, because there was a lot to like about it. But it was always known to be mediocre, especially when compared to it's predecessor. No matter though. On to the next!

Working on the story mode for Soul Calibur 2 for GC. I really enjoy the hack and slash mechanics for the soul caliber fighting engine so far. A bit button mashy, but still good. It's a good fighting game for inexperienced players.

28 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

NES. I started on Apple II but got lazy and didn't want to deal with the freeform conversation system where everyone says "I don't know" when you try to ask about something, so I figured I'd play it for the VGS thread.

I thought Ultima V (PC version) was everything Ultima IV should be and more. I hope one day those are re-imagined for a new generation.

Ultima-IV-Quest-of-the-Avatar-1985-scree