IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

I've been bitten by the LucasArts Point-n-Click bug again, so I've been replaying Monkey Island 2 and will move on to Grim Fandango and then Curse of Monkey Island once that's finished. I love that I can just play those games for 30-60 minutes at a time and drop in and out as desired. Similarly, I've decided to try making my way through all the Space Quest games. It takes a bit to get into the Sierra adventure game mindset but once things start rolling, there's a real charm to those games that is hard to replicate.

I also lamented that I never got around to Conker's Bad Fur Day for last year's challenge, so I'm planning to fire that one up, finally.

As for more modern games, I'm currently waiting for the beta to return to service for VHS (absolutely fantastically fun game) and I'm keeping my eyes on the new Evil Dead game that's coming up but I'm not going to buy in until they reveal a bit more about the game play.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

I fired up Tunic on Series X yesterday and it is an absolute treat. At first glance the game seems kind of small, but you quickly realize the world is huge with endless secret passages and hidden rooms everywhere you go. I've already stumbled on at least five mysterious rooms that I have no clue how to activate.

The developers took a minimalist approach to exploration and it works really well. You're sent off in a general direction and given freedom to explore, collecting pages of the "instruction manual" as you go. The world is smartly built to funnel you towards the next objective without forcing you to do so.  The combat can be tough, but not unfairly so and I found myself picking up on enemy patterns pretty quickly.

It's a bit like Link to the Past mixed with Fez mixed with more forgiving Dark Souls and it works wonderfully. I'd definitely recommend people give it a shot.

• Like 1

So I'm starting up Tales of Symphonia on PS3 (I think I got all the Tales games on PS3/PS4) and I forgot just how cute and sweet Colette is and how, like myself has this habit of saying sorry too much...she even said sorry for saying sorry too much! 😄  And did their teacher seriously pick up Genis and give him a spanking???😮  Don't worry this is all at or near the beginning so I'm not really spoiling anything.

I don't suppose in any of the PS3/PS4 games there's not only cute kawaii chicks but any with cute catchphrases like Meredy's (from Eternia) "You bet!" or in this game's case "Justice and love always wins!"?  If only it was like that in real life... 😞 

I'm still playing 2 of the same games:

Pokemon Blue Version for Game Boy - I decided to go ahead and get more Pokemon after all. I played the slot machines to get enough coins to buy Porygon, then went back through catching all the wild evolved form Pokemon and extras of unevolved Pokemon where you can't find the evolved form of them in the wild. I used stones on the ones like that which needed those to evolve. I will still have to level up the ones that need to.

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64 - I played through 1 player mode on very easy with the rest of the default characters (Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox and Pikachu) then unlocked Luigi by re-completing Mario's break the targets game to trigger the battle.

On 3/19/2022 at 12:43 PM, Aguy said:

@DoctorEncore I started playing Tunic with my son yesterday. He's 9 and this is his first soulslike type of game so there was some explaining but we are both enjoying it. Also played a little bit of Shredders, which is good but I feel the controls are inconsistent.

4 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Beat the menu books in the cafe for Gran Turismo 7 so I’m considering that complete enough for me. I’m playing Tunic now because it’s on Xbox Game Pass and it’s a pretty neat Zelda clone that has combat more akin to a souls game which is awful but in a fun way. 

It's so good! I love how the game directs you in the right direction without forcing you down any single pathway. The gating is very organic and you can tell a ton of thought went into the design. It's extremely satisfying picking up a new page of the manual and finally figuring out how to use a mysterious item. It's also got that Celeste thing going for it where you suddenly discover abilities/powers you didn't even know you had; I'm a sucker for that mechanic.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

It's so good! I love how the game directs you in the right direction without forcing you down any single pathway. The gating is very organic and you can tell a ton of thought went into the design. It's extremely satisfying picking up a new page of the manual and finally figuring out how to use a mysterious item. It's also got that Celeste thing going for it where you suddenly discover abilities/powers you didn't even know you had; I'm a sucker for that mechanic.

Definitely a game for explorers and those not liking exactly what to do or when to do it lol

• Like 1

Breakthrough game tonight!

Just shy of 300k on 4 lives puts me ahead of the pace set by the marathon world record of 921,800, where the different settings would instead allow for a total of 17 lives.

Not like I plan on finding time to do a marathon game or anything, but yeah.  Happy with the score!

20220323_235033.jpg

20220323_234821.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Pokemon Blue Version for Game Boy - obtained more Pokemon thru in-game trades and evolution via leveling up.

Spider-Man/X-Men for SNES - completed the game

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64 - played 1 player easy mode then normal mode with the 3 lives limit as Mario to unlock Ness. Played 1 player very easy mode as Luigi then Captain Falcon.

Defender (via Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits for SNES) - played a few times on default settings and didn't get very far. I changed the dip settings to max starting lives, most frequent bonuses, and difficulty going up each level. Made it to level 47 by abusing smart bombs.

Full M.U.G.E.N games:

Cartoon vs Anime MUGEN - played thru arcade mode as Mario on difficulty 1 (Easy). What a crazy story ending.

Dragon Ball MUGEN Edition 2007 Ver 2.0 - played thru arcade mode as SonGoku SSJ2 (Who we usually refer to as Super Sayian 2 Goku) on difficulty 1 (Easy) after failing to complete it as Goku DB (who we usually refer to as Kid Goku). The first full MUGEN I tried back in 2007 when I discovered it, it doesn't hold up that well considering how unbalanced it is when you select a weaker or normal character and have to fight an OP character.

Dragon Ball Z MUGEN Edition 2011 (Hi-Res) - I really made an effort to test this one out, using multiple forms of Goku. It seems pretty well done compared to the others I tried this week. I ended up finally beating arcade mode on difficulty 1 as Goku SSJ2 (even barely beating Goku SSJ4 by spamming the ki blast).

Dragon Ball Z Sparking 2010 - this one wasn't as good as the other two IMO. I tried playing difficulty 1 as Goku Supersaiyajin and the first fight ended up being against Raditz who was overpowered. This one also displayed in a small window instead of fullscreen unlike the others. It also has a disclaimer saying it is a demo and wasn't supposed to be redistributed!

I did a round about of games to some end today, PCE Mini tried out Sapphire, kind of don't get the 1000s in attraction to that one, it's ok.  Then there was more time on Gradius and another.  Then went over to Kirby's new Switch game but after doing a round of SMB1 as I guess you get coin for it on those switch missions.  Then I hit the eshop a bit as I have some gold expiring, then couldn't find anything.

6 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

Love that game. A true test of patience and masochism in some of the final stages but truly a masterpiece of NES game play. When I finally beat Dracula, it was the kind of feeling that only comes with true grit and determination.

I finally finished up Dead Space (360). That game has some great moments and I'm looking forward to the sequels and remakes.

Other than that, I've just been focusing on Tunic. It's an amazing little game. The world and design are so beautiful that they are basically the main character of the game; you are just a little side character running around interacting with them. My only real complaints are that the combat gets a bit repetitive towards the end and magic feels a little underpowered (or at least under-supplied). Otherwise it's a superb adventure. Highly recommended to everyone here at VGS.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 9:50 AM, Webhead123 said:

Love that game. A true test of patience and masochism in some of the final stages but truly a masterpiece of NES game play. When I finally beat Dracula, it was the kind of feeling that only comes with true grit and determination.

Oh absolutely. I think I've completed it ONCE honestly. I remember the game not working with my Game Genie as a kid and getting pissed LOL. I believe I beat it once clean back in 2015-2016 over winter break. It's my fave Castlevania entry on the NES for sure.

Administrator · Posted

Started playing Tunic since it's come highly recommended and I get it "free" with my Xbox Game Pass on PC. It's got a nice art style, and the gameplay is decent. I've made it a bit extra hard for myself unintentionally by playing with keyboard controls, which are far from optimized. 

I'll play some more tomorrow but actually bother to plug in a controller so it's more playable; don't wanna walk away disliking the game for bad controls I chose to use for no good reason.

• Like 2