IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

On 2/25/2022 at 3:13 AM, Estil said:

Am I reading this right?  They made six(?) PS3 Tales Of... games and at least 3(?) PS4 ones (only US disc releases count BTW)?  Now that's what I'd call prime trophy hunting (unlike the FF13 trilogy though these have many missables sadly 😞 )!

I think there are 4. Xillia 1 and 2, Zesteria, and Graces f. There's also the Symphonia Chronicles, which is a compilation disk. Tales of Symphonia is bar none my favorite of the whole series, so If you have yet to play that one, I recommend starting there. Xillia I thought was just super boring with some lame characters and I gave up after 5 hours or so. I mean, they gave it a sequel, so If it grabs you moreso than me, there would be lots of content for you to enjoy. 

Zesteria I thought was a beautiful and well put together game. I highly recommend that one.

This week I played:

Donkey Kong Land 2 for Game Boy - cleared the first 2 areas with all bonus and DK coins so far

Goldeneye 007 for Nintendo 64 - cleared all previously available levels on 00 Agent mode and cleared the Egyptian level on all 3 modes. I used a lot of save states though.

Pokemon Blue Version for Game Boy - cleared Rock Tunnel, Celadon Gym, Game Corner Basement, Lavender Town's Pokemon Tower, the north half of the docks below Lavender Town and caught that Snorlax.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 for Playstation 2 - cleared Dragon World once and got the Breakthrough capsule for Raditz. That's 14 of 29 Breakthrough capsules so far.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

I've been playing through Final Fantasy VI on the Super Nintendo for the first time. Just made it past the opera scene and making my way towards the Magitek Facility. 

The high reviews for this game are warranted. It's been a good play so far. I still feel like Chrono Trigger is a better time on the Super Nintendo for me. I'm just not a fan of random encounters.

12 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Would like to hear your thoughts on Elden Ring? Did you play Dark Souls or Bloodborne and did you enjoy those?

So I kind of got caught up in the hype of Elden Ring, I did remind myself before I bought it that I hate Souls games because of how hard they are, not because they are hard but because they require a large amount of patience that I just don’t have. For Souls fans this is an absolute must play, from what I played in the first three hours before I rage uninstalled it it improves on the formula on every end. You literally are dumped from the tutorial section into the main game with no direction at all. 

I did not like that this was online based so you can’t pause and more annoyingly quick resume didn’t work on Xbox Series X. FromSoftware says you should exit the game properly or you risk losing data. The graphics for me didn’t feel like a next gen game and I play on an LG CX that’s supports all the bells and whistles. 

10/10 would uninstall again though 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, a3quit4s said:

So I kind of got caught up in the hype of Elden Ring, I did remind myself before I bought it that I hate Souls games because of how hard they are, not because they are hard but because they require a large amount of patience that I just don’t have. For Souls fans this is an absolute must play, from what I played in the first three hours before I rage uninstalled it it improves on the formula on every end. You literally are dumped from the tutorial section into the main game with no direction at all. 

I did not like that this was online based so you can’t pause and more annoyingly quick resume didn’t work on Xbox Series X. FromSoftware says you should exit the game properly or you risk losing data. 

10/10 would uninstall again though 

Regarding the online and no pause stuff I'd just point out that it's been that way since Demon's Souls on the PS3 - no game in the series allows you to pause at all whether you're playing online or offline. The core functionality around the save files hasn't changed much or at all even since Dark Souls (in Demon's Souls you could force-quit the game to undo a death if you were quick enough about it). 

As a huge fan of the "series" I'm loving it - 40+ hours over the weekend.

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

Regarding the online and no pause stuff I'd just point out that it's been that way since Demon's Souls on the PS3 - no game in the series allows you to pause at all whether you're playing online or offline. The core functionality around the save files hasn't changed much or at all even since Dark Souls (in Demon's Souls you could force-quit the game to undo a death if you were quick enough about it). 

As a huge fan of the "series" I'm loving it - 40+ hours over the weekend.

I am curious how of this is really "online"? I played Dark Souls 1,2,3 all offline (Bloodborne too) because I love the feel of being alone in such a crazy, eerie, but beautiful world...

That said, I was not a fan of Dark Souls 3, I felt it lost much of it's magic by the end, and I thought Nioh (1 and 2) were superior to Dark Souls in just about every way. Also thought Bloodborne was superior to Dark souls. I'm hoping Ring is more enjoyable than DS3 and I'm hoping the online component is not necessary.

Administrator · Posted
43 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm hitting up Hyrule Warriors 2.  Figure I'd wrap it all up before BotW2 drops.

It's a Warriors game alright.  Fun, but not busting through to the ranks of my favorite games.

Mine views doth align with thine.

• Agree 1

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition.

I'm taking a slight break from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, and found the "old version" of Final Fantasy VI to visually hard to play. The only downside to this experience is the fact that I did not get the Dark Knight Sword, even though I had high stats that should have made that possible.

Playing the Genesis Joe and Mac. This game is so good. I actually feel it's the closest game to Alien Soldier because it requires precision and is essentially a boss rush.

I've been playing off and on for weeks and finally made it to level 7. I kind of suck, but also it's not easy. Better people than me should speed rush this game.

IMG_20220304_100040_4.jpg

Edited by Californication

Administrator · Posted

Just beat Elden Ring. Took around 60 hours, so came up short of my first runs of most games by FROM. I didn't go out of my way to do EVERYTHING cuz that's what multiple playthroughs are for, but I did unlock the whole map, and made an effort to finish every boss I came across. 

Turns out you don't have to go STRAIGHT into NG+ and can keep playing post endgame, so I'm gonna respec for my next run. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 11:22 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

Sacrilege

I agree. Even though the issue was something they chose to not fix. With it being the fact that the only way to play the "old" version is to tolerate the small screen size. Which is not fun for me because my TV doubles and my PC's monitor, and I like to sit at a distance. 😩

In all cases they did nothing for those who owned the "old" version of either/both Final Fantasy V or/and Final Fantasy VI a free copy of their newest version. Or even a discount as a way to upgrade to the new version. Which are things other companies have done on Steam.

Which is why I am hoping 2022 has me return to Tokyo, and attend the Tokyo Game Show event. As opposed to visiting all of their businesses, events, etc. like I have done in the past.

Edited by FenrirZero

15 hours ago, Gloves said:

Just beat Elden Ring. Took around 60 hours, so came up short of my first runs of most games by FROM. I didn't go out of my way to do EVERYTHING cuz that's what multiple playthroughs are for, but I did unlock the whole map, and made an effort to finish every boss I came across. 

Turns out you don't have to go STRAIGHT into NG+ and can keep playing post endgame, so I'm gonna respec for my next run. 

I was under the impression that Elden Ring was supposed to be this HUGE game, and I figured it meant that it would be larger and longer than other Souls games. Is the open world similar to say Breath of Wild? Skyrim? Something else? Is it exciting or dull? At any rate, I am surprised it's such a relatively short game, although I'm sure DLC are in the works.

Screenshot-from-2022-03-05-16-42-52.png

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I was under the impression that Elden Ring was supposed to be this HUGE game, and I figured it meant that it would be larger and longer than other Souls games. Is the open world similar to say Breath of Wild? Skyrim? Something else? Is it exciting or dull? At any rate, I am surprised it's such a relatively short game, although I'm sure DLC are in the works.

Screenshot-from-2022-03-05-16-42-52.png

The main path is "short", but the world itself is massive. It's certainly more dense than BotW and more challenging by far. The story/lore is incredibly deep, the environments and enemies are wildly varied, it's an incredible game. I'd not let it's "shortness" put you off of it if you're interested in playing. Keep in mind too that I am VERY well acquainted with the series, and that puts me at a significant advantage - I basically rolled through most of the game like a kid in a candy store with very little trouble.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

It's about context. Most of my first playthroughs of a Souls game take around 80 hours. Though I've gotten much faster with time and experience. 

Considering this game is larger than usual, the fact that it took 3/4 of the time it's historically taken for a first play through, it was a "short" playthrough.

• Like 1