IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

23 hours ago, Gloves said:

It's about context.

Yup, understood.  Mostly just lamenting how many months it would take me to beat these types of games on my usual 30-60 minute gaming sessions.

If I was ever going to play one, it would be Zelda BotW, but that would probably take me half a year (or longer) at my rate.  And that would have to be with a walkthrough and skipping all side quests.

Edited by rdrunner

Administrator · Posted
31 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Yup, understood.  Mostly just lamenting how many months it would take me to beat these types of games on my usual 30-60 minute gaming sessions.

If I was ever going to play one, it would be Zelda BotW, but that would probably take me half a year (or longer) at my rate.  And that would have to be with a walkthrough and skipping all side quests.

When FROM releases a new game I basically drop everything else I'm doing and do nothing else but eat, sleep, work, and play that game for a good few weeks. I'm over 100 hours now. 

I only played one game all week, and I played it a lot.

Pokemon Blue Version for Game Boy

Progress:

I worked my way down to Fuchsia City from the docks south of Lavender Town and played through the rest of the game, getting the Legendary Birds, beating the Pokemon League, catching Mewtwo and catching more random Pokemon.

Next I'll probably try to finish Donkey Kong Land 2 and more Nintendo 64 games.

• Like 1

Elden Ring update

Have uninstalled and reinstalled at least 4 times now. Rage levels at all time high. That f’n Erdtree Watchdog. After about the 4th reinstall I realized my dude was rolling much slower than he should. I was overweight, once removing the extra gear and getting to the right weight the fight was a breeze. Still wandering around digging the game now that it isn’t actually impossible. 

Ordered Gran Turismo 7 because GameStop still had 25th Anniversary Editions available. 

• Like 1

Finally finished up Horizon: Zero Dawn and The Frozen Wilds DLC. Really enjoyed that one and will get my thoughts up in the backlog thread.

Other than that, I've just been playing a bit of Halo Infinite with friends. Planning to get back to Dead Space and Myst to finish off my leftovers from last year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'm on ng++ of Elden Ring. Still breezing through. 

I bet FROM is still updating and tweaking things. In a few months they'll probably make it so that bosses have 45% more health and do 50% more damage because of "challenge"...

Clint Eastwood Go Ahead Make My Day GIF

On 3/5/2022 at 3:55 PM, Gloves said:

The main path is "short", but the world itself is massive. It's certainly more dense than BotW and more challenging by far. The story/lore is incredibly deep, the environments and enemies are wildly varied, it's an incredible game. I'd not let it's "shortness" put you off of it if you're interested in playing. Keep in mind too that I am VERY well acquainted with the series, and that puts me at a significant advantage - I basically rolled through most of the game like a kid in a candy store with very little trouble.

The only way anyone would consider it short, is if they just made a bee line for the 10 or so mandatory bosses and skipped over entire zones worth of content.  But anyone who tries that on their first playthru is going to be bounced hard without leveling, gearing up, and becoming very familiar with the game and its systems.

It is hard not to stumble on something "awesome" just rolling around the world.  I can't count how many times I said "that is awesome."  What was the last game that did that?

Zones are huge and littered with pocket dungeons, bosses, unique loot, and secrets.  Very little feels like filler.  I imagine those who take their time, will easily spend 100+ hours and still have new things to find and do.

Still working on Arcade Archives Kangaroo.  Been slowed down by real life, but I've had enough time to master the harder loops.

Biggest breakthrough is I found a strat for round 3 that always works (the one with the cage on top of the big pile of monkeys).  I was getting murdered here on loop 4 and higher, thinking it was random.  Turns out that there is a winning pattern here after all.

I can now reach loop 9 when I don't point press, and that was on a sloppy effort.

Now, to find a completely free hour to do a Hi Score Mode run with point pressing.  Hard to do that without sacrificing sleep!

Beat Lagoon yesterday.

I was totally hoping this game would be better than its reputation and that people were just whining about the attack range so that I could be a total snob towards the unenlightened masses but...no, no, this game just mostly isn't very good. There's some good music and I generally liked the boss fights and was amused by how the game seemed to enforce "either cheese the absolute hell out of this fight, grind a ridiculous amount, or lose" for some of them but that's about it.

Edited by MagusSmurf
  • Haha 1

This week I've been playing:

Donkey Kong Land 2 for Game Boy - I played from the 3rd area to the end of the game, getting all the Kremcoins and DK coins and completing the lost world.

Gex 64: Enter the Gecko for Nintendo 64 - I played through the whole game, getting all red remotes and gold remotes. I was only missing some of the hidden silver remotes.

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64 - I've played through 1 player mode as Mario, Donkey Kong and Link on very easy mode, unlocking Captain Falcon first and then Jigglypuff.

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond - got the Oak's Letter event item and played through the second gym

Pokemon Shining Pearl - got the Oak's Letter event item and played up to the forest before the second gym