IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

3 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

That's because you are making it sound silly in your head. 😩

Gamer = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamer

"A gamer is a proactive hobbyist who plays interactive games, especially video games, tabletop role-playing games, and skill-based card games, and who plays for usually long periods of time. Some gamers are competitive, meaning they routinely compete in some games for money, prizes, awards or the mere pleasure of competition and overcoming obstacles. In some countries such as the UK and Australia, the term "gaming" can refer to legalized gambling, which can take both traditional and digital forms, through online gambling. There are many different gamer communities around the world. Since the advent of the Internet, many communities take the form of Internet forums or YouTube or Twitch virtual communities, as well as in-person social clubs. Originally a hobby, it has evolved into a profession for some. In 2021, there were an estimated 3.24 billion gamers across the globe."

For example... Me.

Me + Gamer = TRPGs that have both game mechanics and people I can get along with. Because of this, I am willing to do super-long campaigns as long as my PC is alive. (R.I.P. Joe Disposable! 😭) And CRPGs like the main Dragon Quest series, and others that have turn-based game elements.

Me + Player = All other games that are enjoyable to me (i.e. sports and racing games, and the occasional Action-Adventure game). This side of me is one that wants to play with both players and gamers alike. With Madden players/gamers getting to hear about my time I tried to call my then best friend, but instead called the then Los Angeles Raiders locker room by mistake. 😅

Again, it is only "silly" because you are twisting the facts. While ignoring the fact you never aske me about my own history involving sports games. Which, ironically, makes your claims silly.

The reality is that both have the option to either buy or rent. Gamers will more likely rent a game if there is an alternative to their preferred genre. And a player will more likely buy because they do not have the time to rent. With the difference being that gamers will buy their preferred game when they can, while a player will do what they can in hopes of playing it.

I can go on, but I have a very long history when it comes to this. And is why I aim to buy digitally when games I am interested in are on sale. Something you never asked about for some reason in hopes of understanding me better. 😅

And the rest of the world says otherwise.

Because it comes down to devotion, not the amount of time you play. And those who call themselves gamers are the ones trying to make the most out of their hobby. Just like how a PS1 otaku will own every print variant of every game, while a PS1 collector collects what they want.

Let me point out that Daigo Umehara is a professional gamer. This is what a hardcore gamer can become if they can handle the level of stress needed to go this far. A player is somebody who does not need your appraisal, and instead does what they want to do in hopes of keeping their interest (in games like Madden) both fresh and fun.

That is fine and dandy if we were talking about the fact that Madden is the perfect game for people who play tactical games. 🙂 But realistically? People who opt to be players do not have the same lives as those who opt to be devoted gamers. Your dismissals have you ignore that important fact.

Atop of the fact you never asked me about my history in regards to sports games. (love Konami's NPB games) As well as those who devote their time to Madden games. (I would love to play a game with one.)

Because if I had to simplify this, being a gamer is similar to being a parent. While being a player is like being a grandparent who has lives of their own. Both have their benefits, and saying otherwise is just plain... Silly. 🙂

did you know anyone can edit wikipedia pages? 😬

it's about as reliable as an urbandictionary entry. lol

1 minute ago, inasuma said:

did you know anyone can edit wikipedia pages? 😬

it's about as reliable as an urbandictionary entry. lol

Yes. And if you knew me, you would know that I don't post links to anything that sound like an oxymoron. 😅

For example, I have not promoted a single grading company that sells their own graded games on eBay. Because those who did that type of thing are the "moron" in oxymoron. 😉

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

I have never once heard the term "player" as used to describe people commonly referred to or referring to themselves as "gamer".

That's because you never around me when it was one of the few non-troll-like conversations I got to be a part of. 😅

I mean the way I use it is very basic, non-offensive, and has helped me feel better about myself in communities like this one. 😅

Then again... I bet you have not heard half, or most, of the things said about me simply because they don't agree with the way I see things. 😅

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Also, who is RENTING video games in 2022? Blockbuster Video went out of business a fuggin' decade ago at this point!

People in Japan. Along with those who have "Mom 'n Pop" video rental stores that also carry video games. Which I am sure there are a few tucked away in Los Angeles County (which is south of where I live). And those who rent from Red Box, which might still rent out video games. But I have not looked that up since early 2021.

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

This conversation is utterly ridiculous! 😆

And has me feel like anything I say is worth insulting just because nothing I say is worth the time needed to be understood. Which itself is not the worst I am dealing with, but is also not making it fun being here either. 😑

• Haha 1

oMan how the mighty have fallen, eh?! This thread was once the most epic one on the site!

We had the battle of the WATA bros vs. CHUDS, the first million dollar video game sale, Karl Jobst single handedly demolished the HA/WATA scam, and even the second coming of Dain!

Now we're scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to figure out if people who play Madden still rent their games from Blockbuster Video! 🤣

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

And has me feel like anything I say is worth insulting just because nothing I say is worth the time needed to be understood. Which itself is not the worst I am dealing with, but is also not making it fun being here either. 😑

Dude, no one is insulting you here. If you take plain disagreement as an insult to you, that's not really on the other person, that's on you.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, OptOut said:

Dude, no one is insulting you here. If you take plain disagreement as an insult to you, that's not really on the other person, that's on you.

Dude, you obviously do not know me if you have to say that. 😑

All I said is that players are not the type to take games as seriously as gamers. This twisted into claims that I somehow do not see those who play Madden games as gamers. While everything that has me say why I treat both terms as two different things being snubbed. Despite the fact I also had something that has me try to agree with the snubber being tied to who I am. Which itself is also snubbed because I made the mistake of answering their question.

So if you think the fact my life, which is tied to why I tried to say that people can be both a player and a gamer, is worth disagreeing with is a disagreement, and not an insult... Feel free to just say so. Otherwise, realize that the person you are defending does not care about those facts for their own reasons. Hence the insult.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

Otherwise, realize that the person you are defending does not care about those facts for their own reasons. Hence the insult.

I'm not defending, nor attacking, anyone.

You're a good dude Fenrir, I like you a lot! I didn't mean to insult you, so if I have I'm sorry!

But, I have different opinions to you about various terminology you have used. You should feel free to use your words as you wish, and I don't seek to take that freedom from you.

I will continue to air my own opinions on the matter, however, as I am free to, just as you are. 🙂

Edited by OptOut
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

Read the categories and type/demographics section of that Wikipedia article. Madden players don't fit in any of those categories? Seems to me they indeed should fit into several.

For fuck sakes, stop accusing me of claiming that Madden players are not gamers. I never once said that people who play sports games are not gamers. 😡

Here is what I said: Players have their reasons not to be gamers. Meaning that the game in question is more of a casual hobby when compared to their more deserved interests. Which literally tells you that if there is a game they love, they can also be a gamer. As in the fact you ignored: People can be both if they choose to be.

Which has me agree with you, since there are reasons to treat people as both. As opposed to treating those that play games differently as a taboo. I have been treated like that, many times, and I want to believe that you are better than them.

• Wow! 1

5 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I'm not defending, nor attacking, anyone.

You're a good dude Fenrir, I like you a lot! I didn't mean to insult you, so if I have I'm sorry!

But, I have different opinions to you about various terminology you have used. You should feel free to use your words as you wish, and I don't seek to take that freedom from you.

I will continue to air my own opinions on the matter, however, as I am free to, just as you are. 🙂

Thanks. And I apologize for the fact that people tend to presume that I am more like my genetic cousin, Arthur Conan Doyle, during his spiritualism days. When in reality I was that way in the past.

By that I mean I am trying to not be a stubborn ass to anybody here. Because I am trying to save that energy for the day I have a son who wants to have Deniz's hairstyle.

As for opinions, all of that is fine. I just find it to be both unethical and unfair to twist another person's point just because it is not agreeable. Especially after the person is wiling to give their opinion/view as a way to answer a question.

And I love you too (even if you are not my type). 😉

• Love 1

@FenrirZero

Dude, I agree with what others have pointed out. This is semantics and a complete waste of time, and I feel silly for engaging in it at all. You seem like a nice guy and you are clearly very knowledgeable and passionate about video games. 

And so you understand where I am coming from here, I have gone my whole life not fitting in anywhere. Too nerdy to hand with athletes, not skilled enough at games to hang with serious gamer, too skilled to hang with casual gamers, etc. The term "real gamer", which wasn't even brought up by you in the first place, you just took up it's mantle, strikes a nerve to me as someone who has gone through as much rejection as I have. I consider myself a gamer, but some people may disagree with that and I just need to accept it. We disagree philosophically about what is a gamer and that's okay.

I apologize for making you upset. It is not my intention to troll anyone here. VGS is a great community, and I wish to keep it that way.

Can we agree to disagree?

• Like 2

I understand the allure of the box and the Wata slab, but you can get the CIB of the actual game in the same condition for likely the same price. But you get an actual game and manual with it. Heck you could probably get a sealed version of that for a little more than double that amount. It's not the white buffalo Ken Griffey Jr. Presents...but still.