IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

16 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

IDK, still seems kinda low to me. The last one was a 9.8 A++ for like 220k i think, so ~5x less for a 9.6 A++?

I was a buyer at <20k, too bad it didn't even come close to that 🤣

There are also Mario NES's like almost every week that sell for pretty high. This one just feels a lot more "special", you don't really see them in such a high grade (talking bout the standard edition here). Plus OOT is the greatest game of all time *runs*

I'm an N64 fan and OOT CE was actually the first game I ever graded myself, probably back in 2010 (85+ through VGA).  Before this Wata hype it was always CE or bust, it's called collector's edition for a reason.  I think those prices are extremely strong on the non-CE version.  If the non CE is rarer in Mint graded shape it can probably track close to CE prices at best, it should never leap frog.

Same thing with Majora's Mask, except that non CE is actually quite rare compared to CE.  Those are very similar boxes without the CE text on one, otherwise identical.  That's the case where pops could give the non-CE a price bump perhaps, but that one is much more scarce relative to the CE supply.  

Edited by jonebone
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, jonebone said:

I'm an N64 fan and OOT CE was actually the first game I ever graded myself, probably back in 2010 (85+ through VGA).  Before this Wata hype it was always CE or bust, it's called collector's edition for a reason.  I think those prices are extremely strong on the non-CE version.  If the non CE is rarer in Mint graded shape it can probably track close to CE prices at best, it should never leap frog.

Same thing with Majora's Mask, except that non CE is actually quite rare compared to CE.  Those are very similar boxes without the CE text on one, otherwise identical.  That's the case where pops could give the non-CE a price bump perhaps, but that one is much more scarce relative to the CE supply.  

interesting... i actually sent in a majora's non-CE recently that i didn't pay that much for, it's definitely not in the best condition tho

On 12/15/2021 at 4:52 AM, jonebone said:

Did pretty well I'd say, maybe was one of @ExplodedHamster under copies?  It's not the first time they've had high stuff in weeklies, they had a Castlevania go for $38k back in March on a Tuesday.  More recently was the GI Joe American Hero NES at $20k on the Tuesday directly after the signature.  That game had signature written all over it and should have bumped almost anything from the Halloween auction.

Yeah, it’s one of them. Don’t mind it in a weekly and thought it did well. That 85+ CE hit like 10k-12 in Goldin, so hard to complain (though VGA on N64 is such a crapshoot as they weigh wrap heavily). There will always be a huge difference between 9.6/A++ and 9.8/A++ for this title, plus that was the infamous July Auction (though I do think for this grade and title, that 228k price was reasonable and will grow long term). I do think a weekly limits the ceiling, but when you have 8-9 to go through (these were from that crazy casepack find), it’s understandable.

I prefer the standard, but democratic vote prob leans CE because shiny! I’m also not a huge fan of the game tbh. I put all my N64 time into Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64, and going back to try Ocarina was rough 20 years later. 

Edited by ExplodedHamster

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

Wow, unreal! Very strong prices across the board! The sealed market is still very healthy. 

So far from the information that I can gather. 

10 games selling for over 6 figures

37 games selling for over 5 figures

No 7 figure games? Yawn.

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

I've said this before, but the major sports games will eventually start commanding even higher prices across the board. The sports card hobby value centers around short prints /100 or less. When the pop report comes out for more platforms, these niche collectors will notice. Don't be surprised when you see once common sealed Madden games like 2004 with Michael Vick start commanding 4 figures or more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That 1.5m sale has skewed the sealed market so much that 5 figures now looks like a market cooling even though you could have bought any game in any condition for $10K or less 3 or 4 years ago within reason. I still think the bottom will continue to fall out of this though as popular titles see more copies come to market and the new investors continue to generally ignore legitimately rare stuff. I believe sealed Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda games are gonna have a nasty rebound here in the next few years compared to the record sales we're currently seeing. I don't think Mario 64 will ever break a million again... ever.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

That 1.5m sale has skewed the sealed market so much that 5 figures now looks like a market cooling even though you could have bought any game in any condition for $10K or less 3 or 4 years ago within reason. I still think the bottom will continue to fall out of this though as popular titles see more copies come to market and the new investors continue to generally ignore legitimately rare stuff. I believe sealed Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda games are gonna have a nasty rebound here in the next few years compared to the record sales we're currently seeing. I don't think Mario 64 will ever break a million again... ever.

true. the rare variants of popular IPs are more likely to cross a mil.

Uh oh:

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/02/02/Heritage-Auctions-John-Madden-Football-sports-video-game-record/5841643825224/

A sealed copy of 1990 video game John Madden Football for the Sega Genesis sold for $480,000, setting a new world record for the highest price paid for a sports video game.

Heritage Auctions said the video game, the first in a series of yearly releases of Madden football games for home consoles, fetched $480,000 in the auction, a new record for a sports video game.

okay someone needs to be THAT GUY here even if that guy is clearly a jerk

landmark games in nintendo franchises selling for 6 figures is still totally absurd but that would be one thing

madden though? football fans, some of whom are gamers, may care about Madden, but the gaming community in general hasn't even pretended to care in like 15 years.

If you wanted proof that the new collectors aren't "real gamers" you're never gonna find anything better than them thinking NO REALLY GUYS MADDEN IS A TOP TIER FRANCHISE. seriously?