IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

22 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

This is from a big time sports cards collector/Youtuber who has recently entered the video game hobby.

Sums it up pretty well. The guys getting duped into this are speculators from other hobbies with only surface-level knowledge of video games. He's the perfect mark.

• Agree 2

I don't think anyone overlooks the point Retro Gamer Dad is making. It has been discussed for 184 pages in this very thread.

And let's not pretend that this isn't Retro Gamer Dad trying to get more views by riding the wave on a hot subject. It has both Karl Jobst and WATA in the title. And you see him holding a graded game on the thumbnail. Not that I mind, content creators put it out for people to see, that's kind of the point of content creating.

2 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I don't think anyone overlooks the point Retro Gamer Dad is making. It has been discussed for 184 pages in this very thread.

And let's not pretend that this isn't Retro Gamer Dad trying to get more views by riding the wave on a hot subject. It has both Karl Jobst and WATA in the title. And you see him holding a graded game on the thumbnail. Not that I mind, content creators put it out for people to see, that's kind of the point of content creating.

what?! i refuse to believe a content creator would cash in on the topic of the day. absurd.

also retro game dad is pretty cool. i'm not a huge fan of his videos yet just because he tends to talk about things i'm already familiar with. but it's fun seeing sealed/graded collecting go more mainstream at least.

On 12/1/2021 at 5:05 PM, Gloves said:

It hurts me a little bit inside to see a bunch of folks who honestly if we took all the money out of this, would probably get along really great!

On 12/1/2021 at 5:19 PM, Shmup said:

You know, I was thinking the exact same earlier. I feel like the money involved here makes people act so crazy. It's a bit disheartening (and a little sickening) that a lot of this boils down to money. I'm honestly glad that I have no interest in this side of gaming.

My perspective on this has been that the folks totally into it were fine in their echo chamber, some folks popped in to complain about the pricing and how it had started to affect all types and tiers of collecting, and then sudden backlash from a not insignificant amount of folks into the high end market about how would those folks know, it doesn't affect them, "yOu'Re jUsT jEaLoUs!!!!", etc., followed by the inevitable, irresistable, and corresponding backlash from people who either don't have the scratch (or aren't willing) to throw into a suddenly overinflated market that began leaking all over everything else.

Maybe everybody would have gotten together, maybe not, and yeah, I'd say to a degree the money aspect of it definitely had an effect, but I'd say a larger part of the disagreements has been due to the attitudes and posturing of some folks who have (or are willing to spend) versus folks who don't (or aren't willing to spend).  I know someone pointed out somewhere in the last dozen pages or so I had to scan through to get to this point that "this wasn't class warfare," but it kind of turned into that to a degree, as a bunch of it, at least the quick, non-detailed responses, basically came off as "hey, f you, you don't have the money to understand" followed by "hey, f YOU, I DON"T have the money to understand because of this balloon".

I don't, and rarely ever have had a ton of money to just up and throw at something, but I understand what a Ferrari is, its significance, etc., even though I can't afford to buy one (and wouldn't if I could).  Same goes for sealed, and even graded games.  I can understand and appreciate what they are even if they don't personally interest me and would mostly be out of my reach.  But when things grow naturally over the years then suddenly gain 10x, 100x, 1000x value often literally overnight?  Definitely fortunate for people who were in on the wave and wanted to make some money, but absolutely something fishy going on.

The whole line of absolute denial from folks with skin in the game has always felt the same to me as me giving side eye to folks suddenly, publicly announcing whatever current local game "honey hole" I'd kept quiet about.  Everybody knows what's going on and the folks with the potential to lose out on a sweet deal get upset at people hoping to or perhaps inadvertently moving toward bursting that balloon.  However, that admission never quite seems to come, with little real discussion occurring, and most responses either being inflammatory ("you don't collect these, so you don't know what you're talking about") or just going around and around in circles with ever more irrelevant and distracting minutiae being brought into the mix until the whole discussion/debate ends or gets dismissed because of how muddled and off topic it ends up.

While some folks seem to have been more forthcoming with it in the last few days' worth of posts, a simple or equivalent "you have a point" still isn't (and IMO, likely won't [ever] be) forthcoming from far too many on the "inside" of the sealed/graded part of the hobby.

Just my $0.02 about the non-owner/admin/mod mandated peaceful discussion (that typically isn't happening).

On 12/2/2021 at 9:34 AM, CodysGameRoom said:

Hey @doner24, I bet my dad could beat up your dad.

By chance, did either of your uncles totally work at Nintendo?  🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnimalHouse said:

Random search on HA, I couldn't help notice how much the price drop. Kudos to the 9.8 winner.

DW3 NES.jpg

Item #29033 on 10/31/21 was a Double Dragon 3, not a Dragon Warrior III 😉 

image.png.9caa08d40adc749566bbca49023f64c8.png

*edit* Only reason I looked was because I thought holy crap, how did I miss that one? lol, happens to the best of us

Edited by blarky
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I don't, and rarely ever have had a ton of money to just up and throw at something, but I understand what a Ferrari is, its significance, etc., even though I can't afford to buy one (and wouldn't if I could).  Same goes for sealed, and even graded games.  I can understand and appreciate what they are even if they don't personally interest me and would mostly be out of my reach.  But when things grow naturally over the years then suddenly gain 10x, 100x, 1000x value often literally overnight?  Definitely fortunate for people who were in on the wave and wanted to make some money, but absolutely something fishy going on.

The problem is everybody leaves out context. Everything went crazy in both collectibles and crypto since 2019. Jordan rookies went from 20k to a peak of 750k within 18 months, Charizards went from 15k to 350k, Black Knight Shards for Fortnite cards went from $100 to $55,000, Bitcoin went from $3800 to $68,500. And with Bitcoin, people openly manipulate (hello Elon Musk) and people think it's all fun and games. Or what about Gamestop and AMC? 

None of these spikes are sustainable at this rate, of course. People went crazy in games, yes. But they have gone crazy across the board. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

The problem is everybody leaves out context. Everything went crazy in both collectibles and crypto since 2019. Jordan rookies went from 20k to a peak of 750k within 18 months, Charizards went from 15k to 350k, Black Knight Shards for Fortnite cards went from $100 to $55,000, Bitcoin went from $3800 to $68,500. And with Bitcoin, people openly manipulate (hello Elon Musk) and people think it's all fun and games. Or what about Gamestop and AMC? 

None of these spikes are sustainable at this rate, of course. People went crazy in games, yes. But they have gone crazy across the board. 

I don't follow any of the other markets you're mentioning, so I'll take you word for it for the most part.

However, how does that explain all of the severe pushback on the contention/argument that these gains weren't organic, or really represent true, legitimate value?  Based on some of the conversations I see on here, Hertiage seems to play a big role in hyping up and selling all of the things you've mentioned, so I would think that would put more weight into the argument that markets they're involved in suddenly exploding basically overnight have something wrong (morally, ethically, legally, whatever) behind the scenes, not less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

I don't follow any of the other markets you're mentioning, so I'll take you word for it for the most part.

However, how does that explain all of the severe pushback on the contention/argument that these gains weren't organic, or really represent true, legitimate value?  Based on some of the conversations I see on here, Hertiage seems to play a big role in hyping up and selling all of the things you've mentioned, so I would think that would put more weight into the argument that markets they're involved in suddenly exploding basically overnight have something wrong (morally, ethically, legally, whatever) behind the scenes, not less.

Goldin has been the leader in sports cards, Pokemon blew up everywhere equally (Ebay, Heritage, Goldin [Goldin worked with Logan Paul, so maybe give them the edge]), Fortnite was almost entirely Ebay, and Bitcoin/stocks are, of course, Wall Street. This craze has been far from isolated to Heritage. Goldin chose not to do games at first, though now of course that the same company owns both WATA and Goldin, things have changed.

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, AnimalHouse said:

When searching video game sold $ off sites that scrap data from Heritage. Does the $ include tax, shipping and percent from type of payment used or just the sold $ w/ bp?

it's just the end price including BP. shipping is pretty minimal compared to the cost of the item, and you can hand them a reseller cert to get rid of the taxes.

6 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

i would be pretty pissed if i cosigned this and they decided to put it in a random ass weekly

image.png.dfdb52bbc1a882e4f0d9e1ec80105c11.png

Did pretty well I'd say, maybe was one of @ExplodedHamster under copies?  It's not the first time they've had high stuff in weeklies, they had a Castlevania go for $38k back in March on a Tuesday.  More recently was the GI Joe American Hero NES at $20k on the Tuesday directly after the signature.  That game had signature written all over it and should have bumped almost anything from the Halloween auction.

8 hours ago, jonebone said:

Did pretty well I'd say, maybe was one of @ExplodedHamster under copies?  It's not the first time they've had high stuff in weeklies, they had a Castlevania go for $38k back in March on a Tuesday.  More recently was the GI Joe American Hero NES at $20k on the Tuesday directly after the signature.  That game had signature written all over it and should have bumped almost anything from the Halloween auction.

IDK, still seems kinda low to me. The last one was a 9.8 A++ for like 220k i think, so ~5x less for a 9.6 A++?

I was a buyer at <20k, too bad it didn't even come close to that 🤣

There are also Mario NES's like almost every week that sell for pretty high. This one just feels a lot more "special", you don't really see them in such a high grade (talking bout the standard edition here). Plus OOT is the greatest game of all time *runs*

18 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

i would be pretty pissed if i cosigned this and they decided to put it in a random ass weekly

image.png.dfdb52bbc1a882e4f0d9e1ec80105c11.png

If HA only put low-value junk in the weekly auctions, far fewer people would bother looking at them. High value lots like this make people check the auctions every week. On top of that, if you ignore the July result, this was actually a pretty strong result; a 9.6 A++ Collector's Edition sold in April for $31,200 all-in, so this seems in line with that. For all we know the consignor was perfectly happy to sell this lot now, while we know the market is strong, instead of waiting however many months for the next available Signature auction, by which point the market may have cooled off even more. 

1 hour ago, Tetris said:

If HA only put low-value junk in the weekly auctions, far fewer people would bother looking at them. High value lots like this make people check the auctions every week. On top of that, if you ignore the July result, this was actually a pretty strong result; a 9.6 A++ Collector's Edition sold in April for $31,200 all-in, so this seems in line with that. For all we know the consignor was perfectly happy to sell this lot now, while we know the market is strong, instead of waiting however many months for the next available Signature auction, by which point the market may have cooled off even more. 

dang, that work work out better for me though, i tend to pick up a lot of the cheap items. though it's mostly pokemon i guess, hardly any games sell in the 100-200 range.