IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

33 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Really, though, it doesn't look like that. Being an adviser to a company is nothing like being a founder or an executive or director or even an employee. It means they might send you a mail occasionally and ask your opinion on something. You're not employed by them, you have no contractual relationship. It's a very loose 'relationship'.

agree with you now 20/20

i thought a new amazing grading comapny was coming online that dain supported and i never knew any of the other players until they tried to buy games from me but they arent offering even close to price charting

• Wow! 1

24 minutes ago, AdamW said:

I dunno. Depends a lot on the details. Still seems like kind of a nothingburger to me, honestly. As Dain said, he was giving WATA advice in areas he was knowledgeable about as a favour to Deniz, with whom he was friends. Doing that and then selling his collection to Jeff doesn't really seem especially noteworthy to me, personally.

Dude.... Pay attention. I'm talking about WATA. This has nothing to do with Dain selling his collection. 

October 2017 - Dain leaves Wata.

March 2018 - Emails from Wata with Dain listed as being involved (WHEN HE HAS CLEARLY SHOWN PROOF THAT HE WAS NO LONGER OFFICIALLY INVOLVED.)

Dain says he wasn't involved (just advising on the side). Wata says he WAS involved, per the email. Either Dain is lying right now, which I doubt, because why would he? Or WATA was using his name for their benefit in a manipulative and dishonest fashion.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

23 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Fair enough, let me distil out the key bits:

1. I think - I might be wrong on this - that WATA has clarified that the 2% charge on high value items is capped at a $100,000 value (so a $2,000 charge). If so, that part of the video could be clarified, as it says the charge on a $1m game would be $20,000. I don't fault you for this (if it's correct) as WATA's site does not explain this.

2. In the bit on the Carolina Collection, you quoted a blog post Jeff wrote in May 2020 and suggested he was a director at that date (that's how the video 'reads' to me, anyway). But - again as I 'read' it - your evidence for that claim was only the SEC filings, and those only show that he was a director up to 2018. Jeff has since claimed that he left WATA in January 2020, which would make that claim incorrect. I also thought you didn't quite substantiate the claim that the Carolina Collection thing rose to the level of "fraud", and that was the only concrete instance of "fraud" related to video games that you cited in the video, so personally I think putting FRAUD in all-caps in the title was unwarranted.

3. In the video I think you referred to Halperin and Ivy as being "found guilty" in the coin grading scandal. I don't think that's a correct description in technical legal terms (again, IMBW). I believe they agreed to settle a (I think non-criminal) case - that's not the same thing as being "found guilty".

4. Around 44:30 you cited an apparently unfounded rumour that Halperin funded WATA, which to me was sloppy practice; I'd prefer if you either included more solid evidence, or left it out. It seems Kotaku has since got a statement to the effect that Halperin was a minority shareholder of WATA from its founding up until the CU sale, so I guess you could just use that, now, as it seems to be an agreed fact.

5. I don't think you substantiated the claim that the high-end sealed market was affecting the lower ends of the market very well. High priced listings of SM64 carts are not evidence; people can list stuff at high prices all day long, the question is whether it sells, and those listings haven't been selling. Best as I can see, the highest price sold SM64 cart on ebay is 60 bucks. You didn't acknowledge that prices for almost every asset class in the world have gone up significantly since the pandemic.

6. Finally, I thought you failed to question the role of journalists when bringing up various articles that described the dentist as an "avid collector" or uncritically quoted Deniz and Jim. Surely their role could do with a bit of questioning there?

Thanks a lot!

1. Yes, Wata clarified. Doesn't change anything.

2. Yes, Jeff left the board in early 2020. So my example was inaccurate. I never said the CC rose to the level of fraud. Please, I implore you to really pay closer attention to what I said. I said there is a 'good argument' to be made that it is fraud, which there is. See end of point 4 in relation to title.

3. I use those words to quickly convey my point. It might not be technically accurate but it changes nothing, and it's substantially true (see defamation defences).

4. You have no idea what my sources are. I showed AN example on the screen. I've heard that from multiple sources, and as confirmed it was correct. I clearly labelled it as a rumour, which is the opposite of sloppy imo. Rumours are unfounded by nature. I'm definitely interested if you have information about things I might have wrong etc, but I'm not interested in opinions about how I should or shouldn't produce my videos (respectfully :D)

5. I didn't substantiate it because it's not important or relevant. It's a tiny mention in my video about unethical business practices. People are trying to scam people, because someone hasn't been scammed 'yet' is irrelevant. Generally when it comes to points that aren't super impactful I won't care to justify my position on them.

6. The entire video shows quite clearly that journalists have been doing a poor job and are complicit in this. It doesn't need to be specifically stated (even though I specifically call out some of their behaviours). Calling a journalistic piece propaganda is directly calling out the journalist who wrote it.

Trust me, if you ever attempt to make 50 minute long videos like this, you'll get things wrong. It's impossible to be 100% accurate 100% of the time. I do a lot of work to ensure what I say is correct though. I can't go back and edit a video that is posted or anything. Those mistakes are in there for good!

Edited by karljobst
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

For me, the Digital Press guide including NES games legitimised the hobby, back in 200X, lol. It was also when the first debate over whether Sachens were part of a full set occurred.

Glad the entire community, from cart collectors to sealed, from casual Nintendo garage salers to hardcore everything completionists came together and agreed on one thing at least

No Way Meme GIF

• Haha 9
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, karljobst said:

2. Yes, Jeff left the board in early 2020. So my example was inaccurate. I never said the CC rose to the level of fraud. Please, I implore you to really pay closer attention to what I said. I said there is a 'good argument' to be made that it is fraud, which there is. See end of point 4 in relation to title.

4. You have no idea what my sources are. I showed AN example on the screen. I've heard that from multiple sources, and as confirmed it was correct. I clearly labelled it as a rumour, which is the opposite of sloppy imo. Rumours are unfounded by nature. I'm definitely interested if you have information about things I might have wrong etc, but I'm not interested in opinions about how I should or shouldn't produce my videos (respectfully :D)

5. I didn't substantiate it because it's not important or relevant. It's a tiny mention in my video about unethical business practices. People are trying to scam people, because someone hasn't been scammed 'yet' is irrelevant. Generally when it comes to points that aren't super impactful I won't care to justify my position on them.

6. The entire video shows quite clearly that journalists have been doing a poor job and are complicit in this. It doesn't need to be specifically stated (even though I specifically call out some of their behaviours). Calling a journalistic piece propaganda is directly calling out the journalist who wrote it.

On 2 - the key point is you called the video "Exposing FRAUD and DECEPTION in the retro video game market". To justify that title, for me, the video needs to actually expose at least one concrete instance of fraud in the retro video game market. If it doesn't, the title shouldn't make the claim that it does.

On 4 - well, yes, I do indeed have no idea what your sources are. That's rather the point. If you have solid sources, put them in the video; if you don't, citing rumours with no support only makes it look weaker. But yes, this is a matter of opinion, and fair enough if you're not interested in my opinion that mixing solidly supported fact (of which you had plenty) with unfounded rumour unnecessarily weakens the whole.

Thanks for the reply!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

While we're at it, let's bring back Stan and Portnoyd.  And maybe someone can dig up Hounder while we're at it...I'd still love an answer from him about why he screwed me and so many others over. 

I'm FB friends of Stan, I used to help do grunt work on his damned book back in the day.

In contact with portnoyd too, hahaha.

Sadly Hounder's been lost to the ages.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

Glad the entire community, from cart collectors to sealed, from casual Nintendo garage salers to hardcore everything completionists came together and agreed on one thing at least

No Way Meme GIF

The hobby is legitimized when adults collectors can show their game collection to other adults and are simply regarded as a game collector (as opposed to being laughed at and called a nerd)

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

There is a substantial difference between "found guilty" and "settled out of court".

There is a difference between earned distrust due to the apparent situation and someone literally being "found guilty".

The FTC believed them to be guilty and charged them. I'm happy to agree on these facts, but I don't see the point of us arguing about what words you think I should have used in the video that's already posted? I believe my statements to be substantially true (i.e it would change nothing if I said 'charged by the FTC', vs 'found guilty') to a reasonable person watching the video.

• Like 5
  • Disagree 2

4 minutes ago, phart010 said:

The hobby is legitimized when adults collectors can show their game collection to other adults and are simply regarded as a game collector (as opposed to being laughed at and called a nerd)

I had a beautiful girl come over to record some music (shes a friend) and saw my shelf of high end NES games and said it was lit, or legit.  So now its legitimized for me.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry if some of my answers seem blunt. I didn't come here to argue. I came here to learn about any facts I've got wrong about collecting, or anything relevant. And also to give you my opinion/thoughts/reasoning. It's fine if you disagree but we probably won't get anywhere arguing about it.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, karljobst said:

The FTC believed them to be guilty and charged them. I'm happy to agree on these facts, but I don't see the point of us arguing about what words you think I should have used in the video that's already posted? I believe my statements to be substantially true (i.e it would change nothing if I said 'charged by the FTC', vs 'found guilty') to a reasonable person watching the video.

While I recognize that the government doesn't generally go off half-cocked when they file charges -- having charges filed against you is still NOT equivalent to "found guilty".  

And I think you give the average person watching your video way too much credit...George Carlin has a great stand-up bit about it.

I certainly don't trust Halperin, or his motivations, though.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I had a beautiful girl come over to record some music (shes a friend) and saw my shelf of high end NES games and said it was lit, or legit.  So now its legitimized for me.

Well, the last time I showed my collection off, I got a swirly and they took my lunch money, so now we're back at ground zero.

1 minute ago, karljobst said:

Sorry if some of my answers seem blunt. I didn't come here to argue. I came here to learn about any facts I've got wrong about collecting, or anything relevant. And also to give you my opinion/thoughts/reasoning. It's fine if you disagree but we probably won't get anywhere arguing about it.

Curious your thoughts about WATA using Dain's name in emails as late as March 2018 when he signed away from the company in Fall 2017.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'm FB friends of Stan, I used to help do grunt work on his damned book back in the day.

In contact with portnoyd too, hahaha.

Sadly Hounder's been lost to the ages.

Edit: Actually I'm not friends with Stan, though we did chat on FB recently. I just added him as a friend now, let's see what happens.

Sadly he didn't remember/recognise me when we last chatted on FB, but he was really iconic to me both pre-NA and then he recommended a Chinese language book to me on NA, which I later got as a Christmas gift based on his recommendation...great book as well.

Really a great guy, an inspiration to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

While I recognize that the government doesn't generally go off half-cocked when they file charges -- having charges filed against you is still NOT equivalent to "found guilty".  

And I think you give the average person watching your video way too much credit...George Carlin has a great stand-up bit about it.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I invited a Japanese lady friend over to mine over Taiwanense Valentine's Day, let's just say collections drop panties, we played SFC Final Fight and we had fun, lol, whatever that means. 😛

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

Thought you might.

And I don't know in what universe I would ever consider the typical viewer of a youtube video to be a "reasonable person", in the sense of how they interpret information.  That really seems to ignore everything we know about online media and the insanity of crowds. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, karljobst said:

Well you certainly chose the right place to learn about games. I can’t think of a better place to go, the amount of knowledge in this community is probably unmatched. And in general, the people here are nice too

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, karljobst said:

it's all good. I did say my notes were fairly minor ones. 😛 I guess I just tend to hold this kind of content to the same standards I've always expected from Proper Journalism, that's all - be strictly pedantically correct about all phrasing, don't speculate, double source everything, headline claims should be supported in the article, all that kinda stuff. I recognize you're not a professional journalist and Youtube content is not typically held to those standards. 😛 My recent summary reads more 'critically' because you asked me to just distill out the bits I was interested in responses to; that meant I cut out all the bits where I thought you had good points, because those don't need any response...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1