IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Thought you might.

And I don't know in what universe I would ever consider the typical viewer of a youtube video to be a "reasonable person", in the sense of how they interpret information.  That really seems to ignore everything we know about online media and the insanity of crowds. 

I believe I have a good understanding of how youtube viewers take in information because it's my career. You're not wrong, these things aren't the same. But if I said 'charged by the FTC for fraud' the impact on the viewers would be the same.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Well you certainly chose the right place to learn about games. I can’t think of a better place to go, the amount of knowledge in this community is probably unmatched. And in general, the people here are nice too

I really wanted to respond to this by swearing at you, as a joke, but I can't bring myself to do it. 

• Haha 6

41 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

While we're at it, let's bring back Stan and Portnoyd.  And maybe someone can dig up Hounder while we're at it...I'd still love an answer from him about why he screwed me and so many others over. 

Ahh yes Portnoyd, I was trying to remember his name. He would have a field day with this. He was calling out this stuff way before anyone else

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, karljobst said:

I believe I have a good understanding of how youtube viewers take in information because it's my career. You're not wrong, these things aren't the same. But if I said 'charged by the FTC for fraud' the impact on the viewers would be the same.

I guess my issue with this specific item (completely separate of my opinion of the people you're discussion) -- in the same amount of time in the video you could have told the literal truth, rather than make what is a technically false statement (which to people who DO know the difference, makes you look sensationalist and brings your other statements into question)

I just see no valid reason to not stick to the actual truth.

The average Youtube viewer, I agree, would make the (technically incorrect) leap from "charges" to "guilty", regardless.

But when you do it for them, actual discerning viewers don't really get a chance to decide that for themselves.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Someone please summarize what happened in the last 20 pages since yesterday. I gave up reading at the point where the ghost of Nintendo Age came back.

Karl Jobst did a 52 minute long video exposing fraud and market manipulation with WATA and Heritage Auctions. 

Some of the guys from NintendoAge showed up (most of whom are involved in the scam themselves) and tried to dismiss, ignore, or deny the facts in the video. Everyone else roasted them. Dain came in and showed that he left WATA before he sold everything off.

Back in the NintendoAge days, these people controlled the narrative, and now they can't. If this was a thread on NA, it would have been immediately locked and half of us would have been banned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eyeroll 6

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

I guess my issue with this specific item (completely separate of my opinion of the people you're discussion) -- 

1) you are making the assumption that your viewers won't know the difference (quite probably true)

2) in the same amount of time in the video you could have told the literal truth, rather than make what is a technically false statement (which to people who DO know the difference, makes you look sensationalist and brings your other statements into question)

2) Did it though? Most people aren't this pedantic. The video basically got universal acceptance. I haven't really seen any criticism of being sensationalist.  the great thing about the video is that it wasn't really my statements that get people upset. It's the evidence I present. My opinion really carries little weight. The video did exactly what it was intended to do, start a conversation about what's happening. It brought awareness to the situation, and almost everyone agrees something fishy is going on and it should be looked into.

This is definitely something we will disagree on, but if you are such a perfectionist that everything has to be literally true it will be a big hamper when it comes to creating videos with a narrative you want to express. 

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Zach said:

Karl Jobst did a 52 minute long video exposing fraud and market manipulation with WATA and Heritage Auctions. 

Some of the guys from NintendoAge showed up (most of whom are involved in the scam themselves) and tried to dismiss, ignore, or deny the facts in the video. Everyone else roasted them. Dain came in and showed that he left WATA before he sold everything off.

Back in the NintendoAge days, these people controlled the narrative, and now they can't. If this was a thread on NA, it would have been immediately locked and half of us would have been banned. 

That's certainly an "interesting" interpretation of events...

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, karljobst said:

2) Did it though? Most people aren't this pedantic. The video basically got universal acceptance. I haven't really seen any criticism of being sensationalist.  the great thing about the video is that it wasn't really my statements that get people upset. It's the evidence I present. My opinion really carries little weight. The video did exactly what it was intended to do, start a conversation about what's happening. It brought awareness to the situation, and almost everyone agrees something fishy is going on and it should be looked into.

This is definitely something we will disagree on, but if you are such a perfectionist that everything has to be literally true it will be a big hamper when it comes to creating videos with a narrative you want to express. 

I think he’s just trying to give you a helpful suggestion so that you don’t give dissenters to the video technically false information that can be used against you in an attempt to undermine the useful information in your video.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

That's certainly an "interesting" interpretation of events...

lol you can live in denial all you want but it's literally what happened. The video is out. It's viral. Everyone is seeing it. WATA is being drug through the mud all over social media and there's nothing you or the rest of your little clique from NA can do to stop it. Get over it. 

• Like 4
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I think he’s just trying to give you a helpful suggestion so that you don’t give dissenters to the video technically false information that can be used against you in an attempt to undermine the useful information in your video.

Well in this specific case though I literally read the FTC ruling. I gave them the exact information. And if you watch people react to the video, they always respond to the LA times article or the FTC rulings well before my 2nd cents are put in after. Had I not have done that (showed and read the literal ruling from the FTC report), and I just said they were guilty of fraud. I would definitely take that criticism more seriously. I obviously wasn't trying to hide, be manipulative, or fool anyone. It's quite clear.

Edited by karljobst
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, karljobst said:

Look, I'm not into the YouTube video scene, so I don't know you from Adam.  But evidently (reading this thread, and other commentary) quite a few people actually do care about your opinion and the fact that you covered this topic.  Whether you want the responsibility, or not, of being an apparently trusted source of information, you seem to have stumbled into it.

I have no interest in creating "videos with a narrative I want to express", so it isn't particularly hampering to me to expect to be truthful and accurate.

So my main disagreement with your posts, that you seem to want to wave away as "pedantic", is that while you claimed to go to great lengths to supply factual information, you then chose to make statements that weren't accurate (and just wave them away as "well a 'reasonable person' would have jumped to that conclusion anyway").

Just didn't see a reason for it, personally.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Agree 5

5 minutes ago, Zach said:

lol you can live in denial all you want but it's literally what happened. The video is out. It's viral. Everyone is seeing it. WATA is being drug through the mud all over social media and there's nothing you or the rest of your little clique from NA can do to stop it. Get over it. 

What on earth are you talking about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3

Wild to see some old timers, great to see you around @Dain even if it’s not under great circumstances. I’ve since stopped being so bitter about the demise of Nintendoage and I hope you’ve been well. I never got to say it before but i appreciate all your hard work over the years and helping truly kickstart my love for video games 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'm FB friends of Stan, I used to help do grunt work on his damned book back in the day.

In contact with portnoyd too, hahaha.

Sadly Hounder's been lost to the ages.

19 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Edit: Actually I'm not friends with Stan, though we did chat on FB recently. I just added him as a friend now, let's see what happens.

Sadly he didn't remember/recognise me when we last chatted on FB, but he was really iconic to me both pre-NA and then he recommended a Chinese language book to me on NA, which I later got as a Christmas gift based on his recommendation...great book as well.

Really a great guy, an inspiration to me.

Stan really is a great dude.  he was one of the old-timers when I first joined the online community on NESWorld back in '03 or '04.  A lot of what I know in this hobby either came from him, or was contributed to by him.  I also kinda feel proud that I've contributed to his Atari collection.  When he was hunting Zellers releases I pulled a couple off the shelf for him.  I also remember him giving me some Master System recommendations when I got my borked console up and running and didn't know what to get for it.  Wish he was around more...think I've seen him on AtariAge a couple times while I lurk there.  Not sure if he's still around though.

I'll skip Portnoyd until the next bit...

Hounder really saddened me.  I have long said I don't care about the money I lost.  I considered him a friend, as did most of the guys he scammed.  He contributed so much to the community, from variant talk and rarity discussions all the way to contributing to the Sealed Contents thread (both by opening games himself and by selling sealed to myself for bro rates).  I always just wanted an explanation from the horse's mouth as to what happened.  One of those mysteries that I'm bound never to know the answer to, but I hope it was something major that drove him to it and not just simple greed. 

11 minutes ago, Zach said:

Ahh yes Portnoyd, I was trying to remember his name. He would have a field day with this. He was calling out this stuff way before anyone else

Oh I know!  I think the biggest problem with him is that he lacks tact and has an abrasive personality (at least online, can't speak to his offline personality).  I think a lot of what he's said over the years was bang on, but said in a way that even people who agreed with his positions would get pissed off about it 😛  Also, the Log Blog was pure gold!

• Like 2