IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

4 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I can't speak to the years before me, but I feel that during my tenure at least, for the later years of NA, that the portrayal of the staff being overzealous and ban-happy is quite unfair if I'm being honest.  The staff that was in place that I remember, tried very hard to keep things going well, balancing out freedom with preventing toxicity.  And it is largely due to a lot of said time and effort, that forum communities are kept from becoming toxic and overly negative.  Nobody wants to ban people or over-moderate.  I NEVER got that impression / vibe / understanding from the culture over at NA, including BA and everyone else on staff.  I also don't recall butting heads with Dain or seeing arguments with Dain on the issue.

I didn't even want to drag myself into any drama in this thread, but I feel I have to support Brian at least somewhat in this regard.  Again - I can't speak to all of NA's existence, but at least for the last several years, I don't feel Dain's description was really accurate, and I always felt very supported by Brian and the rest of the team.

I hope this will be just a brief distraction.  Everyone at VGS has worked VERY hard to try to start fresh, and look forward and not backward.  So I really hope to not see this recent chain of discussion devolve into complaints or issues regarding NA.  

Only thing I'll say about the moderating was the inconsistency, and that some users (ie me) got some preferential treatment.  I never got so much as a warning, despite some of my posts being objectively worse (at least in my eyes) than some that got people banned.  I doubt that was a universal thing, as many mods did a hell of a job, but it was something I noticed from my position on the outside.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

im like the kid that was always in detention.  did he do anything really that bad? no, hes just an idiot.

Oh muh guh, I'm dying here... This both fits you perfectly and I KNOW that kid.

Edited by RH
  • Haha 1

Guests · Posted
15 hours ago, Richardhead said:

Can I be Paul?

@Dain Whatever happened to Paul? Is he on here or did he check out after NA?

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

thats why i have to give a nod to ba and capt morgan. somebody gotta hit this guy in the freakin noggin a couple times a year even if the second one isnt deserved maybe necessary 🙂

I enjoy your antics which is why @Gloves will never make me a mod of any kind. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Shane7951 said:

@Dain Whatever happened to Paul? Is he on here or did he check out after NA?

This wasn't directed at me but I can answer anyway as I talked to him last weekend. He kind of checked out before the end of NA as he got tired of the drama (advice maybe I should consider). He's doing really well though, focusing on his health, dropping a bunch of weight. He seems more like the happy dude he was when I first got to know him.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

@Paul signed up a while back, but didn't stick around.

Yeah, I remember. I remember when he was getting those beat up Mario games graded. Might be wrong but I feel like one of the last ones of that collection was posted and shown off here. @Paul
 come on in, the waters great!

• Agree 1

Guests · Posted
Just now, B.A. said:

This wasn't directed at me but I can answer anyway as I talked to him last weekend. He kind of checked out before the end of NA as he got tired of the drama (advice maybe I should consider). He's doing really well though, focusing on his health, dropping a bunch of weight. He seems more like the happy dude he was when I first got to know him.

That's awesome, @Paul was a really good dude so I'm glad to hear he's doing well.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Go ahead and get a score in. I set the bar low this week.

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

damn it man! if im gonna get beat i want it to be you 😞 

All the scores I've seen haven't impressed me enough to bother.

• Agree 1

NA definitely had a reputation for being ban happy at one point in time.  However, I feel that the staff had moved away from that during the last 3 or 4 years of the site.  But reputations tend to stick around even when things change and they don't apply any more.  That's why NA had a ban happy reputation even up to the end, even if it wasn't justified.  And since the staff near the end wasn't overzealous in the ban department, I believe that's why we were able to start fresh here at VGS without those issues.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I'll parrot others and say I'm glad of this too, even if he and I might have argued once or twice. Self-improvement should always be respected and I'm happy for him.

• Like 5

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, B.A. said:

You mean he didn't instantly cut all ties with you when you came over here?

Glad to hear he's doing well at least.