IGNORED

What are you best at?

T-Pac

I’m above average in most ball/racquet sports. The twist here is that I can play on either hand or foot, with my right side being more dominant and my left side around ~ 85% in comparison.

Probably my best sporting highlight that’s on the rare end: I’ve got consecutive strikes in bowling with both the right hand and the left.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
41 minutes ago, GPX said:

I’m above average in most ball/racquet sports. The twist here is that I can play on either hand or foot, with my right side being more dominant and my left side around ~ 85% in comparison.

Probably my best sporting highlight that’s on the rare end: I’ve got consecutive strikes in bowling with both the right hand and the left.

Oh, good answer.

I'm rather excellent at table tennis.  All about that power topspin.

In work I am an excel spreadsheet wizard.

I’m also very good at looking at very complex multi-faceted problems and coming up with practical and efficient solutions. I have an uncanny ability to build comprehensive business tools in Excel. Management really hates it because they want to use all of the newer software platforms that the company has bought but they can’t get away using my stupid spreadsheets because I am constantly adding new features that meet their needs and always improving the user interface to make complex things stupidly easy.

Also I’m pretty good at completely memorizing all the various instrumentals in a music sample really fast. And once it’s memorized then I never forget them. And I’m really good at whistling (at least I think so), it gets pretty annoying.

Edited by phart010
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Heck Yeeeeaaahhh! The VGS artist army is growing!

Ha! What little drawing talent I have, tends to be used mostly for evil. 😎

The thing that I'm best at is sniffing out which games will be worth a butt ton in the future, unfortunately this also comes with a curse! Unforeseen expenses that crop up constantly, and the inability to hang on to any of said games until they're worth a ton. 🤣 I'm right about 90% of the time, and I have 4 Amazon lists full of GC, PS2, DS & GBA games that cost a shit ton now to prove it. That's life! 🤑

I will draw from time to time as well. Wouldn't consider myself good, but it's probably the other thing that I'm best at. I mostly just use my mediocre drawing skills to draw smut and shit though. 🍑🍆 ✍️

Edited by Sir Centroid

I doodle n' stuff. Make art for friends, cover art for video games, that sort of stuff. 😛 

My style consists of a very anime inspired background, but with very eye-bleeding bright contrasting colors. I'm also very experimental and self-taught.

This one is cover art to a video game I'm making that I still haven't made a good dent on creating in the past 8 years. Still workin' on it though:
spacer.png
My version of Bowsette:
spacer.png
spacer.png
Couple of bunny girls. I drew one when I was a kid, and the other many decades later. Can YOU tell which is the one I drew a long time ago? :V
spacer.png

Commission art for a friend during national spooky day:
spacer.png

Art asset from my game if you can believe it:
spacer.png

I used to challenge myself to "edit out" all the text and logos from various video game box art. 
spacer.png

NES sticker label I made for Second Dimension:
spacer.png

Pirate girl. 
spacer.png

Eggman. Note the fuzzy dice. Very important detail.
spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 6

Events Team · Posted
53 minutes ago, BouncekDeLemos said:

I doodle n' stuff. Make art for friends, cover art for video games, that sort of stuff. 😛 

My style consists of a very anime inspired background, but with very eye-bleeding bright contrasting colors. I'm also very experimental and self-taught.

This one is cover art to a video game I'm making that I still haven't made a good dent on creating in the past 8 years. Still workin' on it though:
spacer.png
My version of Bowsette:
spacer.png
spacer.png
Couple of bunny girls. I drew one when I was a kid, and the other many decades later. Can YOU tell which is the one I drew a long time ago? :V
spacer.png

Commission art for a friend during national spooky day:
spacer.png

Art asset from my game if you can believe it:
spacer.png

I used to challenge myself to "edit out" all the text and logos from various video game box art. 
spacer.png

NES sticker label I made for Second Dimension:
spacer.png

Pirate girl. 
spacer.png

Eggman. Note the fuzzy dice. Very important detail.
spacer.png

Wow, love your art style! I really like how much the colors you use pop.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Oh, good answer.

I'm rather excellent at table tennis.  All about that power topspin.

It’s actually about all things spin. Figuring out what type of spin and how to play them is half the battle! I also played badminton and tennis quite a lot in the past, but now just sticking with tennis every few weekends. I think the pandemic has messed with my sporting schedules and lessened my mood for outdoor activities in the last year or so.

37 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Gaming and guitar would probably be my best 'talents' but I do both casually and nowhere near the caliber of many people out there.

I think I'm in the same boat with these two. For the classic Nintendo games, I generally do really well, but it's mostly from growing up with it - I only play sporadically these days, so I'm generally not doing perfect runs or anything, though I would do well compared to the average person.

For guitar, I definitely feel this way myself. After doing something for fifteen years, no matter how terrible you are, eventually you get to the point where you are somewhat decent. I play guitar quite a bit at times, but I'm definitely not a perfectionist so although I'm respectable, I've definitely met folks who are lightyears above me.

Cycling would be one of my talents. Endurance-wise, I can outperform my cycling buddy, who is five years younger and fit. I sit while climbing up steep mountain roads, and generally while out and about, if I say I'm tired, it just means that "my ass hurts from being in the saddle eight hours". There's definitely people out there who are arguably better at cycling than me, but it goes back to how serious one takes it - I'm overweight and not a nutrition guy, but I'm getting above average results, if I started properly training who knows where I'd be. Even if I haven't been out on a ride in months, I can still easily do about 100K on a whim.

Another talent I have is with languages. Again, I don't always use this talent properly since I work with it all day, and therefore I can get quite lazy when I get home, but I've always had a knack for picking languages up quickly, and making connections between related words and languages.

In fact, one weekend a few months back, I was bored and decided to hash out my own constructed language. I laid down the framework, i.e. a grammar, phonics rules, and also started creating a vocabulary set. Now since I've had a lot of time off work, I've had the time to flesh out the vocabulary set.

Hai! Mae leif ein Tahven duut mae marreiken raen. Mae du vat? Mae ze gonzon igiheis tikkr. Mae tik keitr en owd raen. Wuos ze huppis vat?Mae ze giahraen fiier raen. Ze muffr, feffr, en vuun bruuffr. 

Tjuu tiem oih!  Mae vil wuos dzae niu aenfierrmamfei tael, wuos kwepp vat? Fahr ze niu khearm mearklo. Tae ze nearm wan ze kweart onfaedierr. De pla’r eekha khierr sae nearm giu. De khearm ze lentskearp dzae haeskaen Tahven. Tae ekfi kwearm.  Vil gain!

I'm mostly a dumb NPC human, I'm not very talented these days.

I used to be a bit skilled at making silly music when I was a young whippersnapper. I seemed to have sort of an intuitive knack for arranging sounds together.

I also used to be really good at identifying mushrooms, but I haven't gone hunting in years. Too many tick bites, pesky little devil spawns. I still have some residual skill, but the old timers on Shroomery forums would smoke me. I used to take lots of mushroom pictures. Here is a beautiful picture of an Amanita Cokeri I took.

I suppose I am semi decent at photography, but like the other things I listed I'm just a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

08-25-06 amanita_cokeri2.JPG

• Like 3

On 6/6/2021 at 4:49 AM, CasualCart said:

Heck Yeeeeaaahhh! The VGS artist army is growing!

There's you two, @SuperJimtendo, @G-type, @Vectrex28, @BortLicensePlate, @Gloves, @Mumphy, @Sir Centroid, @OptOut, @Red, @BouncekDeLemos, myself, a bunch of the homebrewers, and a ton of other members I'm obviously forgetting. 

I swear we need to do some big collaborative art project here someday.

-CasualCart

Hahaha don't flatter me, I wish I was half as good as some of you are

Ah, I forgot one and it IS quite useful.  Unfortunately, I'm not as good at this as I was as just a few years ago, but I'm good at finding things that aren't mine.  And when I say I'm good at finding things, I mean I'm good at knowing, innately, where things are when they are lost.

When I was a little kid, my parents and grand parents would say if they ever needed something they couldn't find, they'd ask me and I could immediately go get it.  Books, tools, TV remotes, knick knacks... anything.  They attributed this to the fact that they called me a "plunderer" because I liked to explore every nook and cranny of the house.  They might have been correct but there is a different "skill" innate within the grey matter of my head that applies the logic of behavioral patterns of people and if figures out where they might have likely placed items.

For instance, many times my wife has called me at work and asked me "I have to go! Do you know where my keys are?"  I take a deep breath, I don't think about it and I just sit there and let the subconscious do the work.  In a few seconds I'll give her three choices, of which 99% the time I'm correct.  Now you might be thinking it's just the most likely places or the last place I saw it.  Well, maybe it's the latter but I rarely can help her from a conscious recollect.  It's an intuition.  My wife also rarely does the same thing, the same way twice and it's just a quirk of her personality (I hope you enjoyed those carnitas... you'll never have them again!)  Anyway, she puts her purse and stuff down all over the place, and there are very few things that are used every day that have a "home", which is why it's easy for her to miss place her keys or other things. 

Instead of my brain remembering where everything is, it knows my wife very well and can intuit with high accuracy where she might have placed something, and it's likely all based off of analyzing paths she's recently taken around the house to do certain jobs or to get to point A to B when she last likely had the given lost item.  My mind just pulls in all of the likely data from the last few days and spits out highly probable locations of where she's likely placed things based off of her habits of selection.

I can do this somewhat with my kids too, but they are a bit random when they throw stuff down and they don't think about it.  They just throw stuff when they are done with it.  There are also times when I draw a blank.  Usually those are the times when my wife or we have been out in public and someone has left it somewhere outside the house.  Those places are hard to discern, but usually as a last resort I'll throw out "could we have left it some where?"  My wife's brain is good at putting the pieces together outside the house.  When I'm stumped, 75% of the time, it's been misplaced outside the house.

On 6/5/2021 at 9:37 PM, phart010 said:

In work I am an excel spreadsheet wizard.

I’m also very good at looking at very complex multi-faceted problems and coming up with practical and efficient solutions. I have an uncanny ability to build comprehensive business tools in Excel. Management really hates it because they want to use all of the newer software platforms that the company has bought but they can’t get away using my stupid spreadsheets because I am constantly adding new features that meet their needs and always improving the user interface to make complex things stupidly easy.

I learned some VBA to simplify the input of my Figure/comic/books collection. I created a macro that brings up a form where I can input my information, or select info from per-defined drop down list. All my info the gets added to the proper column on the sheet.

I just wish I could add the picture to the caption in this same step vs. having to run a separate macro. 😐

It sounds like you're like a level 70 Excel wizard, and I'm like a level 5. 😂

I guess I can say computers/troubleshooting is another thing I'm good at.  I don't program, but I do build and maintain.  Building a computer from parts, remote into the laptop across the room, or re-purpose an old laptop as a print server seems all seem trivial stuff to me. To the non-IT people in my family: I'm the level 70 wizard.

7 minutes ago, Robot_Ninjutsu said:

I learned some VBA to simplify the input of my Figure/comic/books collection. I created a macro that brings up a form where I can input my information, or select info from per-defined drop down list. All my info the gets added to the proper column on the sheet.

I just wish I could add the picture to the caption in this same step vs. having to run a separate macro. 😐

It sounds like you're like a level 70 Excel wizard, and I'm like a level 5. 😂

I guess I can say computers/troubleshooting is another thing I'm good at.  I don't program, but I do build and maintain.  Building a computer from parts, remote into the laptop across the room, or re-purpose an old laptop as a print server seems all seem trivial stuff to me. To the non-IT people in my family: I'm the level 70 wizard.

I wouldn’t say I’m level 70. I do work with macros, usually when I need to write a set of functions for doing something, I will just Google it to see what others Have done and how they did it.

The magic isn’t in knowing how to do things in Excel, it’s in persistently improving the tools in order to meet ever changing needs and constantly reducing complex tasks into very simple button presses. Knowing the ins and outs of these complex things are more business/engineering than programming 

Edited by phart010

Moving the queue. Whether it’s at retail, warehouse, or phone calls, the common thread of most jobs I’ve had is that I find and exploit efficiencies to consistently process high volumes. Quota is 10? I do that on a bad day. On a good day I’ll hit 25.

• Like 1