IGNORED

What are you best at?

T-Pac

Investing I would say is something I seem to be good at. Since 2008 I’m averaging 25% yoy. I don’t work in finance though so it’s all my own money and unfortunately I started at a very low base so I’m not a millionaire or anything.

However I did have a very big deposit for my house and it’s allowed me to get quite a few expensive games for the collection 😉 it takes a lot of work to get those returns, I spend most days reading reports, finance books or financial news for at least two hours.

I think most people can be good at something, they really just need to follow these things 1) be passionate about it 2) devote a lot of time to it 3) strive to be the best if that’s your thing but also learn to accept that you can be fantastic at something but not necessarily the best in the world and that is still ok too.

• Like 4

Graphics Team · Posted
14 hours ago, Rocketship Evan said:

Comics!

DSCF2382.JPG

14 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Drawing, I guess. 

FB_IMG_1608057053527.jpg

Heck Yeeeeaaahhh! The VGS artist army is growing!

There's you two, @SuperJimtendo, @G-type, @Vectrex28, @BortLicensePlate, @Gloves, @Mumphy, @Sir Centroid, @OptOut, @Red, @BouncekDeLemos, myself, a bunch of the homebrewers, and a ton of other members I'm obviously forgetting. 

I swear we need to do some big collaborative art project here someday.

-CasualCart

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Graphics Team · Posted
14 hours ago, RH said:

For someone who's been in the industry for almost 20 years, I'm a fair software engineer. To me, this doesn't count.

Naturally, the abilities I'm good at are quite random and are mostly useless and are party tricks at best. Let's see, I'm good at identifying ethnicities. Seriously. Even when someone has a Mom and Dad from diverse regions. I'm also good at guessing people's ages. Useless.

But I am practically a savant of remembering actors and actresses and where I first saw them, but not by name. Nope! Most actors managed to get their start in made for one-off TV episode appearances, TV b-movies or kids movies.  My wife is often shocked at how we can be watching a movie and someone who's a tertiary character will come on and I'll be like, "Oh, I think that man was the kids in 'obscure movie made for kids in 1992.'" She'll go check IMDB and 95% of the time I'm right.

In regards to people, this same ability works with past relationships. My mind is packed full of useless moments of interactions with people from the past 35 years of my recallable memory. In my late 20s, I had to learn that it freaks people out when they were an acquaintance in High School but  I can remember, word for word, the one interaction I had with them 15 years ago. They don't remember my face or name, and I can give them very specific details of moments of their life from long ago and it kind of freaks some people out.

But... BUT, can I remember any of their names? Not a one. It makes the whole skill mostly useless. If I could just start a conversation with "Hey Jake, I'm Richard... from Xyz College...", it would be a beneficial skill, but since I can never remember a name, it's useless and makes conversations awkward.

This is awesome. 'Useless' talents are the most fun for sure.

Are you good at remembering birthdays, too? I had a friend like that, and I always thought it was neat that his memory was so dialed-in on something so specific haha.

-CasualCart

5 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

This is awesome. 'Useless' talents are the most fun for sure.

Are you good at remembering birthdays, too? I had a friend like that, and I always thought it was neat that his memory was so dialed-in on something so specific haha.

-CasualCart

Nope, but that would be nice. Dates are a tough one for me.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
18 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Crocheting. I've been doing it for over ten years now and I think I make really nice items now. I'm always trying something new to expand my skill, there is so much to learn. 

Now we need some photos of your best crochet work!

Does crochet strain your eyes? I've considered getting into stitching as a hobby away from computer screens or reading to give my eyes a break more frequently.

-CasualCart

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I haven't been drawing anything really for the past nearly 20 years, but here's a couple of silly doodles I did for the VGS survivor contest (where our entry placed dead last :P)

qQsbKGh.png

6S4aySZ.png

• Like 5

15 hours ago, RH said:

For someone who's been in the industry for almost 20 years, I'm a fair software engineer. To me, this doesn't count.

Naturally, the abilities I'm good at are quite random and are mostly useless and are party tricks at best. Let's see, I'm good at identifying ethnicities. Seriously. Even when someone has a Mom and Dad from diverse regions. I'm also good at guessing people's ages. Useless.

But I am practically a savant of remembering actors and actresses and where I first saw them, but not by name. Nope! Most actors managed to get their start in made for one-off TV episode appearances, TV b-movies or kids movies.  My wife is often shocked at how we can be watching a movie and someone who's a tertiary character will come on and I'll be like, "Oh, I think that man was the kids in 'obscure movie made for kids in 1992.'" She'll go check IMDB and 95% of the time I'm right.

In regards to people, this same ability works with past relationships. My mind is packed full of useless moments of interactions with people from the past 35 years of my recallable memory. In my late 20s, I had to learn that it freaks people out when they were an acquaintance in High School but  I can remember, word for word, the one interaction I had with them 15 years ago. They don't remember my face or name, and I can give them very specific details of moments of their life from long ago and it kind of freaks some people out.

But... BUT, can I remember any of their names? Not a one. It makes the whole skill mostly useless. If I could just start a conversation with "Hey Jake, I'm Richard... from Xyz College...", it would be a beneficial skill, but since I can never remember a name, it's useless and makes conversations awkward.

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Facial recognition super power!

I too can identify actors from bit parts or even TV commercials.  I'll see someone and be like "He/She was in <blank> commercial/movie years ago".  My wife will check IMDB/whatever, and 95% I'm right.  The biggest problem I have is remembering *WHERE* I've seen people sometimes.

And I'm the same with names.  I can remember a face, 80% of the time know where I saw the face, but can't remember the name at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robot_Ninjutsu said:

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Facial recognition super power!

I too can identify actors from bit parts or even TV commercials.  I'll see someone and be like "He/She was in <blank> commercial/movie years ago".  My wife will check IMDB/whatever, and 95% I'm right.  The biggest problem I have is remembering *WHERE* I've seen people sometimes.

And I'm the same with names.  I can remember a face, 80% of the time know where I saw the face, but can't remember the name at all.

This is awesome to hear! I'm not alone! I'M NOT ALONE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Graphics Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Pretending I'm good at something

22 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I haven't been drawing anything really for the past nearly 20 years, but here's a couple of silly doodles I did for the VGS survivor contest (where our entry placed dead last :P)

qQsbKGh.png

6S4aySZ.png

Looks like you've proven yourself wrong haha. More cartoooooooons!!!!!

-CasualCart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

There's you two, @SuperJimtendo, @G-type, @Vectrex28, @BortLicensePlate, @Gloves, @Mumphy, @Sir Centroid, @OptOut, @Red, @BouncekDeLemos, myself, a bunch of the homebrewers, and a ton of other members I'm obviously forgetting. 

-CasualCart

Good idea. 

49 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Now we need some photos of your best crochet work!

Does crochet strain your eyes? I've considered getting into stitching as a hobby away from computer screens or reading to give my eyes a break more frequently.

-CasualCart

40 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

pics or it didn't happen

Pics it happened :)

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

here's one of my more recent watercolors

626643572_ScreenShot2021-06-05at5_57_46PM.thumb.png.8ae15747253bbcf7f439fe6ef91718df.png

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 4

Guests · Posted

Fun topic @CasualCart Love your illustrations dude, they always put a smile on my face.

For me it's art: illustration and graphics design, not good at much else 😂. Currently I'm working on a short surreal VR experience together with my brother and a friend. For anyone interested, you can check it out at: https://anananasstudio.se/

I like to try out a little bit of everything and I've attached an image showing some game related stuff I've worked and am working on. I'd be up for a collaborative art project, sounds like a fun idea! 👍

mumphyArt.jpg

Edited by Mumphy
Not sure why it's uploading a mini version of the image. Ah well :)