IGNORED

What are you best at?

T-Pac

On 6/7/2021 at 4:05 PM, phart010 said:

I wouldn’t say I’m level 70. I do work with macros, usually when I need to write a set of functions for doing something, I will just Google it to see what others Have done and how they did it.

The magic isn’t in knowing how to do things in Excel, it’s in persistently improving the tools in order to meet ever changing needs and constantly reducing complex tasks into very simple button presses. Knowing the ins and outs of these complex things are more business/engineering than programming 

If you can use vlookup, you're ahead of 97% of Excel users at the typical company. I have a couple times been called on to use my "actuarial skills" to create a formula for a marketing person to sum a column of numbers.

Since you're good at taking complex issues and coming up with good solutions, have you ever pressed to take on a managerial role?

On 6/4/2021 at 8:01 PM, Hammerfestus said:

image.jpeg.78693f998dafe5615aba932a06a70cb9.jpeg

On 6/4/2021 at 8:40 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

☝️

This is why the topic is great. It's not "What are you the best at?" It's "What are you best at?"

Everyone has something that is the best thing they do. It doesn't have to be better than someone else does it, just the best that you can do it.

For me, it's probably my job. I'm good at surgery and I'm good at taking care of people. I'm proud of it and I put in a ton of effort. Are there other people who are better? Of course. But I make every effort to be the absolutely best that I can be when it comes to my work.

Also being a dad. I'm 100% the best in the world at that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

If you can use vlookup, you're ahead of 97% of Excel users at the typical company. I have a couple times been called on to use my "actuarial skills" to create a formula for a marketing person to sum a column of numbers.

Since you're good at taking complex issues and coming up with good solutions, have you ever pressed to take on a managerial role?

I’ve tried for a couple of roles that involve management in an indirect capacity but unfortunately have been given the run-around. I pretty sure I’ve been pigeon holed as an engineer

Well, I cook professionally. I'm well past the point in my career of engineering elaborate multi course dinners because l never was that great at leading teams of 20+ people doing the work of an executive chef. I can work any station in any restaurant as well as anyone, though. Ironically, I make significantly more as a line cook than I ever have as an Executive Chef.

I also write the occasional short story. Ill post some if any are interested in reading them.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Well, I cook professionally. I'm well past the point in my career of engineering elaborate multi course dinners because l never was that great at leading teams of 20+ people doing the work of an executive chef. I can work any station in any restaurant as well as anyone, though. Ironically, I make significantly more as a line cook than I ever have as an Executive Chef.

I also write the occasional short story. Ill post some if any are interested in reading them.

I'd definitely be interested in reading some of your stories.

11 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Mixing drinks.

I've been wanting to get into this. I think it could be interesting since I like booze and I also like cooking and making other drinks (brewing coffee, tea, etc).

Any recommendations for getting started?

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Link said:

What are some of your favorites? I like the cocktails  🍹 

Depends what you're in the mood for.  A couple personal favorites are Alabama Slammers (equal parts Southern Comfort, Sloe Gin, Amaretto, and OJ) and the Cocaine Lady (equal parts rum/vodka/kahlua/irish creme/milk/coke).   Cocaine Ladies are like White Russians that'll really knock you on your ass.

Easy ones are Washington apples (Crown Royal and cranberry), or Captain and OJ.   Use 1 part booze and 2 parts mixer.

Also, unless you're making a layered drink, make sure you vigorously shake anything you make that has more than one kind of booze in it.

37 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I've been wanting to get into this. I think it could be interesting since I like booze and I also like cooking and making other drinks (brewing coffee, tea, etc).

Any recommendations for getting started?

Knowing the flavor profiles of different liquors, liqueurs, and mixers helps greatly.   That way if somebody has no idea what they want, you can ask them if they're in the mood for something sweet, sour, or strong.

It's easier these days with the various flavored vodkas, the only flavors they had back when I was a bartender were vanilla and cherry.   You had to get creative with the liquers to get the flavor you wanted to bring out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Depends what you're in the mood for.  A couple personal favorites

All of those sound awesome. Personal favorites are exactly what I wanted to hear about; thank you.

For anyone else interested, I have a pretty good library of cocktail books, and the one I would most recommend is the Bartender’s Bible by Gary Regan. Good balance of accessible and comprehensive information, intro to equipment and types of liquor. Nicely sorted by type of drink and easily organized for easy future reference. 

Some of my personal favorites are Old Fashioned, Negroni (easy), Scorpion, Zombie (complicated). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Ironically, I make significantly more as a line cook than I ever have as an Executive Chef.

State of affairs, I guess. I’m on the sidelines and have seen that the service industry is weirdly dependent on poorly compensating the people who make the product or service by which the business exists. This is true across the board for most kinds of scenario at either end of the chain. 

I hope the pressure for change that the pandemic has brought about in this model comes to fruition. 

https://www.fastcompany.com/90640964/what-would-happen-if-the-world-stopped-shopping
Suppose that consumers worldwide suddenly paid heed to those critics who say we should buy fewer clothes as a way to lessen the impact of the industry. What would happen?

Maher paused. When he spoke, it was with the tone of one sharing a secret. “You know,” he began, “it wouldn’t be so bad.”

On 6/8/2021 at 7:26 PM, DoctorEncore said:

This is why the topic is great. It's not "What are you the best at?" It's "What are you best at?"

Everyone has something that is the best thing they do. It doesn't have to be better than someone else does it, just the best that you can do it.

For me, it's probably my job. I'm good at surgery and I'm good at taking care of people. I'm proud of it and I put in a ton of effort. Are there other people who are better? Of course. But I make every effort to be the absolutely best that I can be when it comes to my work.

Also being a dad. I'm 100% the best in the world at that.

Yeah? Well then where is your #1 Dad T-shirt that proves it?

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, Link said:

All of those sound awesome. Personal favorites are exactly what I wanted to hear about; thank you.

For anyone else interested, I have a pretty good library of cocktail books, and the one I would most recommend is the Bartender’s Bible by Gary Regan. Good balance of accessible and comprehensive information, intro to equipment and types of liquor. Nicely sorted by type of drink and easily organized for easy future reference. 

Some of my personal favorites are Old Fashioned, Negroni (easy), Scorpion, Zombie (complicated). 

We had the reference book in case somebody asked for an out of the ordinary one, but 99% of my bartender knowledge came from either drinking myself or watching other bartenders. 

Social Team · Posted

I have the amazing ability to really focus on doing something very detailed at a small scale.  Basically I can clean a M16/M4/M240B better than anyone.  This can carry over into other things but the military is where I learned I had this natural gift.  Now when it comes to larger items I'm absolute shit like cleaning the Kitchen.  I'll clean the fuck out of the coffee bur grinder but 2 hours later nothing else gets cleaned 😅

I'm also I'm the best ever at werewolf

colbert-mic-drop.gif?fit=650,365&quality

Edited by FireHazard51

23 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I'd definitely be interested in reading some of your stories.

You got it. They have all been shelved and could use additional proofreading and editing, but hey!

The line. A place where the hungriest and most ambitious of all aspiring chefs wish to find themselves on a Saturday night. And nowhere else in Hollywood would you find the most eager congregation of would-be chefs than The Silver Spire. One peek into the kitchen reveals the organized chaos of bleach white clad frantically grabbing all the items needed to stock their stations, looking like a flock of seagulls on a cloudy beach when a handful of popcorn is thrown in their direction. 

“Twenty minutes until service!” shouted Chef Williams with his booming, yet raspy voice, still smelling of the Turkish Silver he smoked after emerging from his office. He was an imposing figure in not only his kitchen, but even in public with the physical attributes and attitude of a hockey defenseman preparing to check his opponent to the ground. He always made a point to hold his team to the highest standards. He even followed up with them while in his office, with more security cameras in his kitchen to watch his staff than out in the dining room to watch his customers.

“George!” Chef boomed. “Will you be ready on time?” George was one of his main cooks and primarily handled seafood on his sauté station. Chef was observing George wobbling with imperfect equilibrium, his face unshaven and uniform wrinkled. Clearly, he had been partying with reckless abandon the night before with his eyes glazed and bright pink like a smashed strawberry doughnut. “Yes Chef!” George obediently replied knowing full well that in Chef Williams’s kitchen, there only ever was one correct answer to a question he asked. George knew he was nowhere near prepared to handle the rush tonight. He had no sleep and was hoping the combination of coffee and Red Bull energy drinks would wash away the alcohol and Vicodin he unwisely consumed the night before. He pushed forward with his prep list and cleaned his station, simply hoping for the best. Or at least a better fate than the lobsters he boiled alive earlier in the night.

“Intern!” Chef roared. “What’s your situation?” La’quelle methodically finished arranging her salad prep for the Garde Manger station. While she did not cook anything, she always hoped to impress Chef with all her knife cuts, her speed, and her ability to artfully present every plate to chef for his inspection before it makes its way to the dining room. She was wiping her cutting board and removing her dirty mixing bowls when she heard her given name. “I’m ready to go chef,” she answered right back. Being a young female culinary arts student in a famous restaurant, La’quelle had to cut her teeth and learn over the shoulders of the men 15 years her veteran. None were keen to show her what they know, understanding that she was chomping at the bit to start mastering the stations they struggled to master themselves. While she lacked the time in the kitchen the others did, she made up for it in looking the part of the seasoned professional. Her chef coat was finely pressed with a hot iron, complete a perfect crease that connected her shoulders. Her hair was braided tight and confined to her uniform toque, with not a single strand escaping. Her black shoes shined like a new moon on a clear night with a fresh layer of polish she laid on before her shift. The only blemish was a black drop of balsamic vinegar on her right thigh that splashed from her mixing bowl while whisking together her salad dressings. “Work a little cleaner next time,” snarked Chef, knowing full well he played hard to please.

“Listen up everyone. Our Four O’clock seating is arriving now and a Food and Wine Magazine critic is with them. I want everyone on their stations immediately! Salad course is a go!”

The whole kitchen buzzed like a hive of worker bees. The first orders rushed into the kitchen and the dinner service began. “Intern! Pick up three beets and a charcuterie!” Chef commanded like a Union field general. “Yes Chef! Three Beets! Charcuterie!” She always made it a point to recall the full order so Chef knew she heard him. One of the things taught to her in culinary school was to overcommunicate instructions as the guest will never be happy if she were to make the wrong item, or worse yet forget it entirely. She swished the mustard crème around the Charcuterie appetizer with the grace, charm, and simplicity of a company logo. “Thank you, Intern. These will do.” La’quelle knew this was the closest thing to a complement she would ever hear. “You’re welcome, Chef,” she said clearly ask she walked back to her station after delivering them for inspection.

“Don’t be too proud of yourself. You still can’t cook! A one-armed retarded monkey can swish a puree.” George quipped. He had been working in the Silver Spire’s kitchen long enough to know exactly how loud he needs to be for Garde Manger to hear him, but Chef not to. Internally, he knew he was going to struggle. His brain was working on a two second delay from the rest of his body, like a video game controller that was not properly synced up. While he drank heavily on the regular occasion, he never took a Vicodin before. He put his sauté pans on his range top and cranked them to high, awaiting Chef’s orders. 

“Sauté! You are gonna get hit!” Chef yelled out. “Fire me three lobster entrees, two scallop appetizers, four shrimp entrée, and one halibut. I need the scallops to time out with Garde Manger!” “Yes Chef!” George replied. George pulled out his scallops, seasoned them and put them aside while his pans heated up. He rushed to put the lobsters in the pot of butter to slow poach it while he readied the halibut and shrimp. “George! What are you doing!” Chef started barking, knowing George was unlikely to have a good night. He pondered solutions while he continued to yell instructions. “I said I need those appetizers first! Cook them!” 

George said nothing while dropping oil in the pan. It began to smoke up a touch. He quivered a bit internally as he knew he overheated the oil, but he was more afraid of keeping Chef waiting any longer. He laid the scallops in the burning oil and immediately transferred them to the oven to hide the burning smell. “I can always cover the dark spots with some extra sauce,” he muttered to himself as he started prepping the shrimp entrees. 

“George, these salads can not wait for your scallops any longer! I need them now!” Chef ordered. A well-known food critic dining in always made him meaner and stricter than he was already famous for. Chef Williams used some of the most delicate lettuces in the world for his salads, and the ones waiting to time with the scallops needed only one more minute before the dressing caused it to wilt and be not servable. George waited until chef was focused on another cook and he dove for the oven. The scallops he found were burnt on one side and raw on the other, an example of poor cooking technique used. While Chef was distracted, he buried the raw parts inside the carrot puree component since that would be the hardest part to hide.  He then ladled extra blackberry gastrique over the top, hoping the dark sauce would cover the scorch. He brought them over to Chef for inspection. He has worked for chef long enough that he doesn’t always receive thorough critique of his work anymore, if at all. He was one of the more trusted cooks on the hot line, though he was far from trustworthy this time.

“This is not right! Too much sauce! Sloppy puree presentation! Take this back and do it again!” George knew he was caught, he threw the dish into the trash and began to work on a fresh scallop appetizer, one that was not burnt. On a hunch, chef walked over to inspect the trash as this was a very unusual thing for George to do. “You have the nerve to serve these scallops to a food critic?! Get off the hot line!”

George was stunned. “Chef, I’m sorry I burned that, it won’t happen again.” “You are absolutely correct it will not happen again. La’quelle will be working sauté for the rest of the night, and if you want to continue working for me, you will make my salads. Understood?”

La’quelle was not used to hearing he name called out. Not her real name anyway. She had always been known as “Intern” since her first day on the job six months ago. She turned her head at all the commotion behind her and look up at Chef as if to ask his permission to finally have an opportunity to cook. “Intern!” he directed, “Didn’t you go to school for this?! Do as I say and work sauté now! I need you to make me a scallop appetizer yesterday!” La’quelle nodded and called back her order. “Scallop appetizer on the fly, yes chef!” She cooked and presented them perfectly. While she walked the appetizer over to chef, she spilled a drop of gastrique onto the left hip of her chef coat. “This appetizer is good, but work a little bit cleaner next time,” Chef snarked as he followed the waitstaff out to deliver it to the critic’s table.

The dinner service of the rest of the night went smoothly with no returned dishes, though food left the kitchen a bit slower than usual. It was La’quelle’s first night on sauté after all. The critic’s table raved about the food, and even brought Chef Williams outside to take pictures. The meal was such a success, he was going to have a feature in Food and Wine Magazine.

When he finished with the magazine crowd, he stormed back into the kitchen and walked over to the sauté station, where La’quelle was busy cleaning it up to look like it had never been used before. “They need some entrees to take pictures of for the magazine cover. Make me a halibut and a lobster.” While she readied the pans to cook them Chef added, “you will be working sauté Mondays and Tuesdays going forward, understood?”

When chef left the kitchen to meet with the magazine again, George walked over to La’quelle and dumped his cherry energy drink over the station, making it look like an arctic red tide across her cutting board. He glared down and muttered, “you are not taking my station from me, understand?” She gave him the look of a champion, smiled and said, “Don’t get mad at me that you picked a bad night to suck at your job.” There was a rumor started that Chef was going to open a second restaurant in San Diego and she wanted to be the chef there. That was over a year away though, and first she needed to make her way down to work the stations of the rest of the line. 

I do like the development of La'quelle and George as characters and I think their rivalry has a lot of potential if I ever get around to expanding on their stories. 

• Like 1