IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

Journey sucks so bad. The fact that it won Game of the Year everywhere is either a testament to how bad video games were in 2012 or how pretentious everyone was feeling nominating a boring walking simulator with cool graphics as the best game. If I hooked up Taboo: The Sixth Sense so you could play it with a stranger with no voice chat, it wouldn't elevate Taboo: The Sixth Sense to game of the year.

Could've been a neat game with... you know... gameplay??

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Journey sucks so bad. The fact that it won Game of the Year everywhere is either a testament to how bad video games were in 2012 or how pretentious everyone was feeling nominating a boring walking simulator with cool graphics as the best game. If I hooked up Taboo: The Sixth Sense so you could play it with a stranger with no voice chat, it wouldn't elevate Taboo: The Sixth Sense to game of the year.

For a half-second I thought you were talking about the band. *Refolding switchblade and putting it back in my pocket.*

Edited by RH

5 minutes ago, RH said:

For a half-second I thought you were talking about the band. *Refolding switchblade and putting it back in my pocket.*

At first I thought he was talking about Journey Escapes for the Atari 2600. I didn't recall people thinking that's a great game.

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

This is how I feel about Untitled Goose Game. If I was more important, I'd think the world was playing some elaborate prank on me.

10 hours ago, BouncekDeLemos said:

You're supposed to list UNpopular opinions. 😉

Agreed; I found the Wii controls (especially the mandatory fishing parts) to be really frustrating 😞  It's so much easier to play the GC version, which apparently it was originally meant for, and the Wii controls were an afterthought.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chuppa said:

snes mario kart is terrible

I wanted my wife to play that game with me but in addition to being obsessed with this idea of having to have a steering wheel, she thought the graphics weren't "realistic" and the game was "too slow".  So yeah it turns out my wife is a graphics whore (as I already did a topic about at NA).  Then again, maybe she does have a point about it being "too slow"...after all it doesn't have BLAST PROCESSING!!!  And as you can see, without BLAST PROCESSING!!! not-so-Super Mario Kart just kinda coughs and sputters along 😞 

And that's just perfect for Montgomery Gentry...after all:

Color palette don't matter, no I don't need no mode 7
All that really concerns me is:

Speeeeeeed, an' how fast will it go
Can it get me over da'loops quickly 
Blast processing can it outrun that fat plumber
Yeah, what I really need
Is a blue hedgehog
An' a whole lot of speed

• Haha 1

The GameCube era had some fans disliking the changes to Zelda in Wind Waker (cel-shaded graphics). I personally loved it and still have fond memories. In fact, it’s the only Zelda game that I’ve actually completed!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GPX said:

The GameCube era had some fans disliking the changes to Zelda in Wind Waker (cel-shaded graphics). I personally loved it and still have fond memories. In fact, it’s the only Zelda game that I’ve actually completed!

I'm with you. I wish cell shading never went away. When it's done right, it can look really cinematic. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Wizards and Warriors 1-3 is one of the best trilogy on the NES!

I always WANTED it to be, because they're thematically really cool.

But the swordplay is so...badly...implemented.

If you mashed up the level design and concept of Wizards and Warriors with the swordplay of Faxanadu, it would be a 10x better game.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GPX said:

I seemed like the only one who really gave the new cel/toon Link the benefit of the doubt at the time.  And he must've done pretty well for himself seeing as how both the DS Zeldas are done in 'Toon Link style and he'd later get his own Smash character!

Also, I forget which gaming magazine it was but I was beyond irritated when they said that in this game "Epona's been put out to stud".  Anyone wanna take a guess why? 😛 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Estil said:

Agreed; I found the Wii controls (especially the mandatory fishing parts) to be really frustrating 😞  It's so much easier to play the GC version, which apparently it was originally meant for, and the Wii controls were an afterthought.

You're talking about Zelda TP right?  That game was aggravating with the reversed tacked on controls just to have a franchise launch title.  It's weird because you would think being able to aim easier and do this or that with the angle of the controllers would make it faster, smoother, easier.  It was very much the opposite.  I ended up getting the intended Gamecube release after the fact maybe a year later as a gift.  it was night and day just how god awful the Wii control was when I could blow through specific earlier moments in the game on the first pass and in a matter of minutes instead of having an hour of fury induced restarts (the burning cart and riding moblins sequence) comes to mind.

I'm with GPX too, cel shading is a great technique and in the 3D space it popped out from that art style has real staying power.  There's so much you could do with a cel animated cartoon style of look that allows you to easier hide the short comings of a system and polygon count using that method.  Side by side, Wind Waker looks like a living cartoon that doesn't feel out of place while Twilight Princess while nice looking, looks notably dated next to it.  I'm glad the BotW kind of went with a cel shaded style draw quality on that game as it gave it a nice shot to look nice for a lot longer.

• Like 1