IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Aa far as cryptic games go, I beat Shadowgate and Deja Vu as a kid without any hints or guides, but I couldn't figure Uninvited out at all. I didn't finish that one until a few years ago with a walkthrough.

Its been a while but I think for Deja Vu I needed to look up what to do at the very end.  Shadowgate took MUCH longer.  I remember being annoyed at the globe cuz I had the right idea but you needed like the right item.  Not a knife but an axe.  Something dumb like that.  I think I beat Uninvited without anything though cuz its much shorter.  The issue that game has is a lot of the items are pointless.  In Maniac Mansion at least, very few of the items are pointless amongst all characters.  One thing other games should learn cuz thats so unnecessarily difficult. 

Edited by guitarzombie

1 minute ago, guitarzombie said:

Its been a while but I think for Deja Vu I needed to look up what to do at the ever end.  Shadowgate took MUCH longer.  I remember being annoyed at the globe cuz I had the right idea but you needed like the right item.  Not a knife but an axe.  Something dumb like that.  I think I beat Uninvited without anything though cuz its much shorter.  The issue that game has is a lot of the items are pointless.  In Maniac Mansion at least, very few of the items are pointless amongst all characters.  One thing other games should learn cuz thats so unnecessarily difficult. 

I thought Shadowgate and Deja Vu were fairly straightforward, but when I looked at the Uninvited walkthrough, I was surprised that you could clear the game without even going into half of the rooms. From what I remember, the solution to the maze was fairly cryptic as well.

21 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I thought Shadowgate and Deja Vu were fairly straightforward, but when I looked at the Uninvited walkthrough, I was surprised that you could clear the game without even going into half of the rooms. From what I remember, the solution to the maze was fairly cryptic as well.

Hmm I dont remember that maze.  Its been a long time.  Heres a tip for mazes I learned a long time ago if you're not familiar with it.  If you stick to one wall the whole time, you'll eventually find your way out.  So I probably did that.

1.Mega Man 2 is not the best Mega Man game, and it doesn't deserve all of the praise it gets

2.GameCube is one of Nintendo's better consoles

3.Handheld versions of several games are good and in some cases better than console versions

4.Not all movie-based games suck...not even ones that came out 12-18 years ago.

5.The GameCube version of Twilight Princess is better than the Wii version

6.If a game gets a remake or an HD Remaster, the originals are often still worth playing

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Estil said:

The appeal of "bringing the arcades home" was precisely the point of the release of the Genesis and their iconic "Genesis does what Nintendon't" campaign.  Oh boy did Sega aggressively market both the Genesis and Game Gear and mercilessly attacked and ridiculed Nintendo in their ads. 

I still think “Genesis Does” is the best video game ad campaign to date. Go watch it on YouTube and look at the comments. You still see Nintendo fans today (many of which were likely not even alive to see this commercial at the time) getting angry at that advertisement. From the 80s/90s. From a company that doesn’t make hardware anymore.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I still think “Genesis Does” is the best video game ad campaign to date. Go watch it on YouTube and look at the comments. You still see Nintendo fans today (many of which were likely not even alive to see this commercial at the time) getting angry at that advertisement. From the 80s/90s. From a company that doesn’t make hardware anymore.

Oh don't worry, Nintendo got Sega back good....

PS: I was in my 8th grade Social Studies class the first time I saw the second commercial during everyone's favorite show at the time, Channel One News! 😄 

Edited by Estil

40 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

1.Mega Man 2 is not the best Mega Man game, and it doesn't deserve all of the praise it gets

Which one do you think is the best? I've only ever played through 1 and 2. I rented 3 when it first came out but didn't really like it. 

Edited by BriGuy82

The Legend of Zelda being so cryptic is partly due to bad translation. In the Japanese version is was mostly straightforward where there was one sage in almost every dungeon who would tell you where to go next. Some of the English translations make absolutely no sense or have no relation to the original text either. Sure, some of it is still cryptic, but honestly most Adventure games or RPGs, both Western and Japanese, of that era were like that. I think that this is where tLoZ shows its age, but not that it is inherently a bad or awful game. Just compare it to one of its inspirations, The Tower of Druaga, and you will quickly notice that Zelda is much more approachable and fun.

3 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Lol, I rented double dragon 3 and mega man 3 and thought they both sucked. Speaking of sucking and double dragon, where's Bimmy Lee at? 🤣

Double Dragon 3 is just awful. Last I heard on Bimmy was that he got married and had a kid before the site change and I don't think he ever signed up here. He must have gotten tired of me beating him in Double Dragon 2 contests! 😂

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Double Dragon 3 is just awful. Last I heard on Bimmy was that he got married and had a kid before the site change and I don't think he ever signed up here. He must have gotten tired of me beating him in Double Dragon 2 contests! 😂

Yeah I haven't see him around at all. I hope he's doing good. Maybe one day when he gets his balls back he can play DD2 again.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:53 PM, NierAutomata said:

Dreamcast sucks, wasn't that revolutionary: 

I wouldn't say it sucks, but I don't think it deserves all the praise it gets. People act like it was the greatest damn console ever. Honestly, I can't think of one game that's worth buying the console for.

And, no, we do not need a Dreamcast 2. People need to stop with that garbage

4 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

The Legend of Zelda being so cryptic is partly due to bad translation. In the Japanese version is was mostly straightforward where there was one sage in almost every dungeon who would tell you where to go next. Some of the English translations make absolutely no sense or have no relation to the original text either. Sure, some of it is still cryptic, but honestly most Adventure games or RPGs, both Western and Japanese, of that era were like that. I think that this is where tLoZ shows its age, but not that it is inherently a bad or awful game. Just compare it to one of its inspirations, The Tower of Druaga, and you will quickly notice that Zelda is much more approachable and fun.

I don't understand why so many on the Internet were confused by the EASTMOST PENINSULA IS THE SECRET clue in the first dungeon (sorry labyrinth)...as a ten year old first playing at the time I knew right away it meant the eastmost peninsula on the map has the triforce piece.  Don't schools teach geography anymore? 😛  Now some clues, like IF YOU GO IN THE DIRECTION OF THE ARROW (2nd quest dungeon, forget which one), that's one that really doesn't make sense.  And geez how long did it take for someone to finally figure out for sure what 10TH ENEMY HAS THE BOMB meant?

As for the manual I remember a Zelda website from the late 90s who questioned things in the manual like "In the caves where people live are invisible closed doors".  Obviously what the clue meant to say was that the entrances to the caves are sealed and invisible (among the other trees, walls, etc) and need to be revealed with bombs, candle, whistle (2nd quest only).  But the way the clue reads it makes it sound like there's invisible closed doors inside the caves.  And I like how he pointed out that despite what the Zelda 2 manual reads, it makes no difference if you "put up a good fight or not" if you lose all your lives.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

2. I prefer Super Mario Allstars over the original NES games. There, I said it! One reason being the added save feature, that was brought up earlier here in regards to SMB3 on the NES. Also, I like the improved graphics and music. Also, I think you got more or unlimited continues in the SNES versions, so it made the games easier to complete. Which brings me to point number 3.

3. I don't like it when a game is overly difficult AND has limited lives and continues. One thing I like about the Mega Man or (most) Castlevania games is that you can try them for as long as you want without having to constantly redo the whole game over and over again. It just gets boring and wastes my time. Usually people tend to say that you have to "git gud" or maybe make fun of gamers that don't like these tough challenges or that they're just "casual" gamers and not "hardcore" like all those Dark Souls fanatics. But I don't like having to constantly repeat the easy levels so that I can have another shot at the really difficult levels or bosses. I'm wasting up to an hour on those old games just for another try. I prefer it when developers allow a wider range of gamers to finish their game, but maybe add something like a point feature for the real pros, so that they can have their desired challenge, too. And this difficulty debate neatly segways into point number 4.

4. I don't like arcade games. They're usually just short and shallow experiences that hide these facts by their insane difficulty. Of course this is due to the inherent business model and the desire to munch your quarters. But even today when I play on collections or other digital versions where I theoretically have unlimited quarters/continues I still can't get into them, or at least get bored really quickly. I also can't quite comprehend the appeal of "bringing the arcade home" which Sega seemingly tried to do a lot. Back in the day I only got one video game per year, maybe two if I was very lucky. 

(...)

|
|
I agree about 2 and 3, and at some extent about 4, too. As for Kirby games, I never got to play them very much. 

-

Another unpopular opinion of mine: I prefer the Nes versions of Double Dragon 1 to 3 than their original arcade versions. I like the graphics and sound of the first arcade game, but all of them suffer from poor gameplay and/or heavy slowdown, while the Nes games are quite good when it comes to 8 bit console games (but Im aware that many people don''t like the 3rd game on the Nes as well).

The same for Combatribes, I prefer the Snes version than the arcade one. The original game is probably one of the most difficulty games ever, sometimes you'll have trouble simply trying to walk three steps in a row, since you're always surrounded by several enemies that are in general way faster than you. There's no much space to think, and I really dislike that. Ah, and you had to insert coins in order to regain your lost HP...     

Edited by DreamCuPS

Graphics Team · Posted
14 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

3. I don't like it when a game is overly difficult AND has limited lives and continues. One thing I like about the Mega Man or (most) Castlevania games is that you can try them for as long as you want without having to constantly redo the whole game over and over again. It just gets boring and wastes my time. Usually people tend to say that you have to "git gud" or maybe make fun of gamers that don't like these tough challenges or that they're just "casual" gamers and not "hardcore" like all those Dark Souls fanatics. But I don't like having to constantly repeat the easy levels so that I can have another shot at the really difficult levels or bosses. I'm wasting up to an hour on those old games just for another try. I prefer it when developers allow a wider range of gamers to finish their game, but maybe add something like a point feature for the real pros, so that they can have their desired challenge, too.

Well said, Gaia. This speaks to my soul, dude.

This is why I think Bucky O' Hare has such a perfect format - the challenge is tempered by approachable segments with unlimited attempts.

-CasualCart

6 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I can believe this.  Similar to Simons Quest

11 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Hmm I dont remember that maze.  Its been a long time.  Heres a tip for mazes I learned a long time ago if you're not familiar with it.  If you stick to one wall the whole time, you'll eventually find your way out.  So I probably did that.

I looked it up and besides the path that I don't recall any hints for in the game, you have to know to leave flowers on the grave to get to a door, put the hawk in the cage, open the cage in front of the monster to get the jewel and use the telemaze spell to get out. How anyone could figure all that out on their own is beyond me.

12 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Decades later I still think F-Sega when I see that come up in respect to that era then (not now, don't care, they're as you said, finished).  Yeah it was a 50/50 fanboy situation, but the other was a life long dislike of patently lying in ads to sell your stuff instead of actually trying to talk your product up.  When you have to resort to namecalling, stretching the truth or fabrication about another company to peddle your wares it says a lot enough to me not to buy.  Their smears kept me off paying Sega any money for their hardware up until the late 90s.  Felt the same about other stuff, some like Pepsi I still won't drink though.  I was happy when Sega dropped the snark and pushed some better ways of things like with the Dreamcast which I did buy, also picked up the Nomad direct from Sega's online website in the period along with a few games too.

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Decades later I still think F-Sega when I see that come up in respect to that era then (not now, don't care, they're as you said, finished).  Yeah it was a 50/50 fanboy situation, but the other was a life long dislike of patently lying in ads to sell your stuff instead of actually trying to talk your product up.  When you have to resort to namecalling, stretching the truth or fabrication about another company to peddle your wares it says a lot enough to me not to buy.  Their smears kept me off paying Sega any money for their hardware up until the late 90s.  Felt the same about other stuff, some like Pepsi I still won't drink though.  I was happy when Sega dropped the snark and pushed some better ways of things like with the Dreamcast which I did buy, also picked up the Nomad direct from Sega's online website in the period along with a few games too.

I adore both companies, and while you do have some valid points, I don't blame them at all being angry with Nintendo's monopoly-type practices.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I looked it up and besides the path that I don't recall any hints for in the game, you have to know to leave flowers on the grave to get to a door, put the hawk in the cage, open the cage in front of the monster to get the jewel and use the telemaze spell to get out. How anyone could figure all that out on their own is beyond me.

Im gonna have to watch a playthru cuz I don't remember any of that haha

5 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I adore both companies, and while you do have some valid points, I don't blame them at all being angry with Nintendo's monopoly-type practices.

I find their monopoly practices which had well had began and entirely eroded in that time not relevant to why they'd lie their asses off in an ad.  The Genesis clearly could out-do the NES, and the SNES stuff that was just sad and no monopoly at that point.  By the time the Genesis arrived developers started to jump ship and ignored Nintendo trying that junk along with various court threats/battles.  The ads were just straight up disinformation and shock value to get attention they desperately wanted and it worked fairly well on quite a few given how long it took the SNES to overcome them.