IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

17 minutes ago, Estil said:

You can't count on all the blue chip Wii U games being ported to the Switch...so you need to keep your Wii U around regardless.

We are real close to them all being ported.  I'm willing to bet the last couple show up to fill in the release calendar over the next year or two.

8 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

We are real close to them all being ported.  I'm willing to bet the last couple show up to fill in the release calendar over the next year or two.

I'd prefer the Switch to be itself.  Make its own exclusive games/history.  There's already a Wii U.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Estil said:

I'd prefer the Switch to be itself.  Make its own exclusive games/history.  There's already a Wii U.

I've been happy keeping my Wii U in the box and playing all this on switch.  I would rather see the 55 million switches have a chance at checking out these great games than it being limited to those of us who bought them last gen.  Besides the switch is getting plenty of unique games to go with these rereleases.

The WiiU was a mistake wrapped in more than one failed decision that doomed it before it even arrived on the market.  I agree, it should be kept in a box.  Switch is what lacking the 2 games 3DS got instead, ZombiU, and I guess that last couple of Mario titles and Pikmin 3 isn't that it from first party stuff now?  Nintendo gave up on that thing after like two years, yet only as much as to keep it around like a zombie, an undead machine they let shamble until the Switch was ready.  Releases and quality waned, they didn't puff it up but kind of let it just rot like a corpse, yet never would or could lower the price like consoles traditionally do because it was such a disaster the margin wasn't there to afford that luxury.  The fact people still stand up for the thing and even revere is just seems perverse as it really has no value remaining once the last scant few games get jerked away from it out of their own IP catalog.  Not sure I've ever said it here before, elsewhere sure, but screw the WiiU.  I've had their hardware since 1985 and it broke 30 years of trust to the point had the Switch been a console I would have refused to buy it for at least a year or two plus until I knew they didn't screw up again.  I never gave up faith on the handhelds, thankfully it is one and magnificent at that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Estil said:

Like the Metroid manual encouraged in its manual, games in those days if it was the kind that needed a map you were expected to draw/make one as you go along.

Yeah, back then you drew maps by hand.

My dad and I found everything in Zelda ourselves, both quests.  It took some patience and note taking, but it wasn't some insurmountable feat.

16 hours ago, Estil said:

Like the Metroid manual encouraged in its manual, games in those days if it was the kind that needed a map you were expected to draw/make one as you go along.

I think that made the games more fun back in the day. Now anyone can just pull up a map online which kind of ruins any feeling of accomplishment you get from finishing the game all on your own.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think that made the games more fun back in the day. Now anyone can just pull up a map online which kind of ruins any feeling of accomplishment you get from finishing the game all on your own.

But back then there wasn't nearly as much a backlog of games you see.

I have gone on record as saying I do very much appreciate the kind of games where you truly get your money's worth, like these major blue chip rpg/quest sorts of games where you can easily get at least 40-50 hours or even up to double that sometimes!

12 minutes ago, Estil said:

I have gone on record as saying I do very much appreciate the kind of games where you truly get your money's worth, like these major blue chip rpg/quest sorts of games where you can easily get at least 40-50 hours or even up to double that sometimes!

I think it still depends on the game.

I'd rather get a 30 minute game that I enjoy and can replay than a 40 hour game that is boring. (And I realize definitions of boring differ.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I think it still depends on the game.

I'd rather get a 30 minute game that I enjoy and can replay than a 40 hour game that is boring. (And I realize definitions of boring differ.)

All the more reason I do "blue chips" first.  That is the ones that are most well known like the DQ or FF series or the blue chip RPG/quest games on SNES and so on.  And then what happens when your 30 minutes are up though? 😞  Obviously in that sense I'm not counting puzzle sorts of games that are meant to be played in short spurts.

9 hours ago, Estil said:

And then what happens when your 30 minutes are up though? 😞 

If it has replayability , you can play it for as long as a single RPG. I've easily logged 40+ (probably a lot more) on something like Ninja Gaiden.

I just don't see a game being 40 hours long being any indicator of quality. Plenty of borefests are 40 hours long, even some of the "blue chips." Not every FF was gold.

Edited by Tulpa

23 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

If it has replayability , you can play it for as long as a single RPG. I've easily logged 40+ (probably a lot more) on something like Ninja Gaiden.

I just don't see a game being 40 hours long being any indicator of quality. Plenty of borefests are 40 hours long, even some of the "blue chips." Not every FF was gold.

I know, FF8 was way too confusing and "unorthodox" for my taste. 😞  Same goes with FF2.  It makes me feel really stupid because I bet most gamers when these games first came out had no trouble adjusting to the eh, different rules and welcomed the changes as a breath of fresh air. 😞 

But yes, your last statement is true for all video game/movie/TV series...they all have the good, the bad, the ugly...and every once in a great while, if luck is really on their side, something truly great. 🙂

Edited by Estil

21 hours ago, Estil said:

All the more reason I do "blue chips" first.  That is the ones that are most well known like the DQ or FF series or the blue chip RPG/quest games on SNES and so on.  And then what happens when your 30 minutes are up though? 😞  Obviously in that sense I'm not counting puzzle sorts of games that are meant to be played in short spurts.

This probably counts as an unpopular opinion, but I think RPGs in general are boring and tedious.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

This probably counts as an unpopular opinion, but I think RPGs in general are boring and tedious.

Did you always feel this way? As I get older I'm much more drawn to shorter skill based games rather than RPGs.

17 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Did you always feel this way? As I get older I'm much more drawn to shorter skill based games rather than RPGs.

Yeah. I basically grew up in arcades during the 80s, so I was used to fairly short games. When the NES came out, I stuck to the same types of games. I finished Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy, but that was basically due to not having a lot of options as far as new games. I got Final Fantasy II/IV for Christmas when the Super NES came out and finished it, but that was the last RPG I played until Final Fantasy VII for the PlayStation. Now I just don't have the time or energy to play something that would take me a month to finish.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

When I was a kid, if I stopped playing an RPG for a while, I would just restart it.  Now I just pull up the last save file and go from there.  There are games I will go months without playing then just jump right back in.  Surprisingly, I rarely ever get lost.

7 hours ago, CMR said:

When I was a kid, if I stopped playing an RPG for a while, I would just restart it.  Now I just pull up the last save file and go from there.  There are games I will go months without playing then just jump right back in.  Surprisingly, I rarely ever get lost.

I had to stick with them until they were done. If I quit a RPG without finishing it, I would have just moved onto something else and never got around to playing it again. 

13 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Same here. I was a huge RPG fan when I was in high school and college because back then I had the time to play them (I still am, in theory, I just don’t have time anymore). Now I’m more drawn to platformers, side scrollers, puzzle games, etc.

11 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Same here. I was a huge RPG fan when I was in high school and college because back then I had the time to play them (I still am, in theory, I just don’t have time anymore). Now I’m more drawn to platformers, side scrollers, puzzle games, etc.

I'm just the opposite.  Me being skeptical of the turn based battle system kept me from doing RPGs until 2013 and I really regret putting it off so long

1 hour ago, Estil said:

I'm just the opposite.  Me being skeptical of the turn based battle system kept me from doing RPGs until 2013 and I really regret putting it off so long

Well just remember: no matter what anyone tells you, there is no “greatest RPG of all time.” Because Final Fantasy 6 already holds that title.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1