IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

No Nintendo console belongs on an underrated console list. There, I said it. Nintendo is the most popular and positively received gaming company of all time. I really feel every console got the love or dislike they deserved. The first pick in that video is the GameCube. Sure, there was some doubt back in the day pre-release and some during the early months, but this console is not underrated. In fact it’s one of the more highly praised consoles that I’ve seen online. And look now at the prices skyrocketing all over the place. Just because the PS2 did better that generation doesn’t mean the GameCube was underrated. It isn’t nearly as looked down upon as other systems that deserve to be considered “underrated.”

|
|
I agree. But i think the reason some people look at the Gamecube this way, may be cause it's possibly Nintendo's console people less talk about. I wouldn't say it is underrated, but it could receive a bit more recognition, I see it as the console that brought Nintendo back to its roots, after the somewhat "experimental" N64.  

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

PS2 did better that generation doesn’t mean the GameCube was underrated. It isn’t nearly as looked down upon as other systems that deserve to be considered “underrated.”

PS2 is the best selling console not just of the generation, but of all time, next to that any console is going to look like a chump.  But I agree, the reception at the time and today has always been overwhelmingly positive for the Gamecube.  It really is the console for diehard Nintendo fans, that just didn't translate into mainstream success.  "Under-performing" would be a better term

42 minutes ago, CMR said:

Most indie games released today aren't as good as freeware windows xp games from fifteen years ago.

Wut? Bejeweled is not better than Hollow Knight

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamCuPS said:

I wouldn't say it is underrated, but it could receive a bit more recognition, I see it as the console that brought Nintendo back to its roots, after the somewhat "experimental" N64.  

I think the GCN is appropriately rated, not under or over. It really can't compare to what Sony pulled off with the PS2 but the GameCube holds its own in every major category. 

Objectively it has a goofy control, small discs, and is literally a cube. It couldn't complete with Microsoft in multiplayer shooting content, it completed ok with Sony in the single player immersion but ultimately the gaming scene was into mature content that GameCube fell short it. Don't get me wrong, it's there but in comparison to MS and Sony it was lacking.

What were left with is a a library that is as middle of the road as Nintendo in that era. Stuck between polished family content and market demands for edgy games. A console that had better video processing than modern TV's of the day could reflect. Cult classic games that helped define a genre of party games turned competitive. And I think most everyone who knows anything about gaming knows that about the GameCube. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I think the GCN is appropriately rated, not under or over. It really can't compare to what Sony pulled off with the PS2 but the GameCube holds its own in every major category. 

Objectively it has a goofy control, small discs, and is literally a cube. It couldn't complete with Microsoft in multiplayer shooting content, it completed ok with Sony in the single player immersion but ultimately the gaming scene was into mature content that GameCube fell short it. Don't get me wrong, it's there but in comparison to MS and Sony it was lacking.

What were left with is a a library that is as middle of the road as Nintendo in that era. Stuck between polished family content and market demands for edgy games. A console that had better video processing than modern TV's of the day could reflect. Cult classic games that helped define a genre of party games turned competitive. And I think most everyone who knows anything about gaming knows that about the GameCube. 

|
|
Some of the stuff you said could be applied to other consoles as well (like the N64). But overall I understand your point, since the scenario a console was made in is something to be considered.  

I have not much to add about the PS2, it is just such a complete console. The Gamecube followed a similar path to the PS2 when it comes to game library, but off course, with much less games. I see the Xbox as very different from both, more "western", lacking on the japanese side.  

Edited by DreamCuPS

Can't wait to get shot for saying this:

The SNES is overrated and gets too much attention - "Super Mario World is the best Mario game", " A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game", "Super Metroid is the best Metroid game", "Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 are the best Donkey Kong games", "Super Castlevania IV is the best Castlevania game." Seriously, whenever people are asked what their favorite game is in a series, the SNES's entries are almost always the favorite. It is literally the Mega Man 2 of video game systems. And as overrated as Mega Man 2 may be, I've heard/read almost as many people say "Mega Man X is the best Mega Man game."

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

Can't wait to get shot for saying this:

The SNES is overrated and gets too much attention - "Super Mario World is the best Mario game", " A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game", "Super Metroid is the best Metroid game", "Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 are the best Donkey Kong games." Seriously, whenever people are asked what their favorite game is in a series, the SNES's entries are almost always the favorite. It is literally the Mega Man 2 of video game systems. And as overrated as Mega Man 2 may be, I've heard/read almost as many people say "Mega Man X is the best Mega Man game."

That is true, but I'd say the SNES is accurately rated for the most part since those are still great games, even if they aren't the best in the series.

I completely lost interest in Mario/Zelda games after the Gamecube. Not sure why. 

I guess i just find it more of the same, even though i know each game has done things to spice up the gameplay. Guess i just grew out of them. 

Edited by Magus

1 hour ago, Magus said:

I completely lost interest in Mario/Zelda games after the Gamecube. Not sure why. 

I guess i just find it more of the same, even though i know each game has done things to spice up the gameplay. Guess i just grew out of them. 

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Wii and the only games I had for it were Wii Sports/Resort and Punch Out. I mainly used it for the virtual console. I just lost interest in Nintendo consoles after the N64.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

52 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Wii and the only games I had for it were Wii Sports/Resort and Punch Out. I mainly used it for the virtual console. I just lost interest in Nintendo consoles after the N64.

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64.

The only Nintendo console that I have hooked up is the NES. I also have a SNES but it's in a drawer collecting dust.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64.

The only Nintendo console that I have hooked up is the NES. I also have a SNES but it's in a drawer collecting dust.

I've got both hooked up since I've got a FXPAK Pro and I also use the SNES and Super Game Boy to play GB games. I don't even own a N64 right now. I had one back in 1996 and maybe owned 10 games. The Saturn was a better console than the N64 if I'm going to throw a hot take in here.

I say this as a person who primarily plays modern stuff on Switch, but... 

Switch gamers overhype and fellate almost any game that is a Switch exclusive. They consider any good game on Switch a freaking masterpiece. I think this comes from the Wii U era where Nintendo-exclusive gamers were constantly on the defense over Nintendo’s status as a console manufacturer and the software on their consoles.

• Haha 1

I think the Genesis is better than the Super Nintendo in most cases.

Animal Crossing New Horizon is not a good Animal Crossing game. The characters are completely devoid of life and the island setting is bad in comparison to a forest.

The Xbox line of consoles is a blight on the history of gaming and along with smartphones is the catalyst for everything wrong with video games today. 

On 6/6/2020 at 10:52 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Lacking on the Japanese side is true but they definitely had some appeal the the Japanese market. 

Dead-or-Alive-Xtreme-Beach-Volleyball.thumb.jpeg.133980666e71ac65ce4d86616702ddd2.jpeg

I liked that game back then. Granted I was probably 13 at the time.  I have since imported the PS4 game.  It's good. The tanline mechanic is a big innovation this time.

51 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I say this as a person who primarily plays modern stuff on Switch, but... 

Switch gamers overhype and fellate almost any game that is a Switch exclusive. They consider any good game on Switch a freaking masterpiece. I think this comes from the Wii U era where Nintendo-exclusive gamers were constantly on the defense over Nintendo’s status as a console manufacturer and the software on their consoles.

I can see this happening on Switch. A lot of the first party stuff is good but there is a fair bit of just ok stuff.  The Wii U had a lot of good first party stuff too.  Funny how that's what is filling in the library now.  Nothing worth going crazy about.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 1:33 PM, The Strangest said:

Since we’re on the topic of SNES...

The North American coloration of the SNES is better than the European design. The two tone purple on grey is simpler, sleeker, classier, etc.

Agree with this so much. The other version looks like a Fischer Price toy, and I always disliked that look.

• Like 2