IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

9 hours ago, OptOut said:

As for my actual unpopular opinion, well... Here goes...

A Link to the Past is boring. Not a fan.

I think I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this one, lol! 😅

I haven't played through it myself but I never found it interesting during twitch streams.  It looks dull and the music doesn't do it for me.  You are not alone.

2 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Very good, yeah, this was a great idea. Honestly, there isn't much I love more than being able to respectfully discuss opposing opinions without it turning in to an argument, it's pretty fun 🙂

Yeah isn't it at lot easier to do that kind of thing on things like video games, sports, and so on than politics, religion, and the Great Pumpkin? 😄 

28 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yeah isn't it at lot easier to do that kind of thing on things like video games, sports, and so on than politics, religion, and the Great Pumpkin? 😄 

I’m a huge hockey fan and I’ve gotten into it with some rival fans on Twitter lol

Events Team · Posted
33 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yeah, although to be fair the rare times I can have a legitimate, respectful conversation about any of the latter ones I find to be the conversations in which I learn the most, both in general and about the other person.

I refuse to watch non-over dubbed anime. I have nothing against subtitles. I just can't stand 100% of all female voice acting I've ever heard from Japan. It's those high pitched, squeaky voices. To each their own, but to me that's nails on a chalkboard.

Unpopular opinion #2. I love to listen to game OSTs during work. First party Nintendo music always fits the games perfectly but as music to just listen to, 99% of their music just feels drab and boring. I think the best exception is Super Metroid, and maybe the themes of most Zelda games. Everything else is a snoozefest, except when you are replaying the respective game.

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, RH said:

I refuse to watch non-over dubbed anime. I have nothing against subtitles. I just can't stand 100% of all female voice acting I've ever heard from Japan. It's those high pitched, squeaky voices. To each their own, but to me that's nails on a chalkboard.

Unpopular opinion #2. I love to listen to game OSTs during work. First party Nintendo music always fits the games perfectly but as music to just listen to, 99% of their music just feels drab and boring. I think the best exception is Super Metroid, and maybe the themes of most Zelda games. Everything else is a snoozefest, except when you are replaying the respective game.

I also really love Video game OSTs. While it's not first-party, I think the Castlevania series has some one of the most... listenable, I suppose? Soundtracks out of any game franchise I've ever encountered. The music holds up extraordinarily well without the context of the games in my opinion. While I obviously love Zelda, I think the CV games take the cake for some of my favorite video game OSTs of all time.

1 minute ago, RH said:

As far as I'm concerned the only real anime is subbed anime (Rockman.EXE is a perfect example) because the dubbed (English voiced) kind is usually censored and edited and practically cut to shreds 😞  And what do you have against Japanese female voice acting?  I mean, they sound so cute... 😞  Much better than that MegaMan NT Warrior which I guess is okay if you didn't first watch the original Rockman.EXE subbed version, but the NT Warrior version makes the supposed 5th graders sound more like 9th graders!  And seriously, TORCHman?  MINI-BOOMERS???  Editing out all the parts where a character gets a (hee hee) cup check? 😞   It's like Kentucky Fried Chicken (which is better than you-know-what, *wink wink* I might add) without the skin!!

*ahem* Sorry for going off on a tangent like that but that second one, c'mon, you call that an "unpopular" opinion? 😞   Well except maybe whatever you define as "everything else is a snoozefest"...

1 hour ago, Estil said:

As far as I'm concerned the only real anime is subbed anime (Rockman.EXE is a perfect example) because the dubbed (English voiced) kind is usually censored and edited and practically cut to shreds 😞  And what do you have against Japanese female voice acting?  I mean, they sound so cute... 😞  Much better than that MegaMan NT Warrior which I guess is okay if you didn't first watch the original Rockman.EXE subbed version, but the NT Warrior version makes the supposed 5th graders sound more like 9th graders!  And seriously, TORCHman?  MINI-BOOMERS???  Editing out all the parts where a character gets a (hee hee) cup check? 😞   It's like Kentucky Fried Chicken (which is better than you-know-what, *wink wink* I might add) without the skin!!

*ahem* Sorry for going off on a tangent like that but that second one, c'mon, you call that an "unpopular" opinion? 😞   Well except maybe whatever you define as "everything else is a snoozefest"...

I'm not going to say that American voice acting is better.  Especially in the earlier days of US games, you either had that cutesy "sound" I've never liked, or painfully bad acting. But, if/when I have the option between those two, I can cringe through the worst bad acting spots, and accept the rest.  Just my personal opinion.

28 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm not going to say that American voice acting is better.  Especially in the earlier days of US games, you either had that cutesy "sound" I've never liked, or painfully bad acting. But, if/when I have the option between those two, I can cringe through the worst bad acting spots, and accept the rest.  Just my personal opinion.

I normally agree, except for Banner/Crest of the Stars anime dub being horrific. However, listen to this one.

• Confused 1

I have a problem with many fighting games now.

Super Smash Brothers - I don't understand this game, I knock my opponent off the play field into the pit and he just jumps off the air and back into battle. If I knock him off, he should die. Also I couldn't figure out the move set initially until someone told me I just have to use a direction and a button. The problem with that is it doesn't always work, sometimes it will shoot a fireball, sometimes it won't. Do you hold the direction and then press? Do you do both at the same time? I can't figure it out.

Street Fighter - Initially when I played this 20 years ago I couldn't believe what I was reading in the instruction manual was true. You have to hold a button for multiple seconds in order to do a move? What if I want to do a Sonic Boom quickly when a player is jumping? No, according to the manual, you have to hold the back button for a few seconds first, then you're ready to do it, so I'm constantly backing away from my opponents to always be ready. I don't understand this game.

Mortal Kombat 11 - The first 3 games in this series were the definition of my Friday nights when I was a teenager, this is all I played. I loved those 3 games then and I still love them now. Life got busy and I skipped all the ones in between but when 11 came out I was pumped to buy it and slaughter some computerized opponents. That is until I ran through the tutorial and it taught me about interrupts, counters and frame rate ratios, what the fuck is this? Every single move has a near, mid and far attack and the combo moves are now only 3 hits long. What happened to the Shadow Kick that just went halfway across the screen and wasn't adjustable? What happened to 11 hit combos? I literally played this game once to find out it sucks, a second time to confirm it and haven't touched it since. For someone that just wants to play it casually and remember 4-5 moves per character, it's too overwhelming for me.

Super Mario Maker 2 - A great idea but poorly executed. Designers are given too much freedom with level design and it's like they feel they need to use every single option in one level. Blocks with Bowsers inside? Why? I wish the designs were more limited so the end result more closely resembles actual released levels and were more playable. Now when I turn on Twitch to watch someone play this game, it's 40 minutes of them dying in 4 second intervals. It isn't fun. I wish there was a way to get 100 levels of just pipes, pits and Goombas that I could play all night long, then it would be like a new Mario game every time I play.

2 hours ago, RH said:

I prefer subs myself.  Sure a lot of the voices are high pitched but I usually don't care for English voice overs.  Something about them is often cringy to me.  Like they are trying to make a character "cool".  I would have really liked River City Girls to be in Japanese with subs for instance.

Can't argue with a lot of Nintendo soundtracks not being listenable outside of their games. I never listen to the Mario ones I have. Pokemon and Zelda are it.  I stick to Indies, RPGs, and couple podcasts for my VGM.

Edited by zeppelin03

15 hours ago, OptOut said:

As for my actual unpopular opinion, well... Here goes...

A Link to the Past is boring. Not a fan.

I think I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this one, lol! 😅

Agreed.  I try to play through it out of obligation but always get bored and give up. 
Original Zelda is the best Zelda.

31 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I have a problem with many fighting games now.

Super Smash Brothers

Street Fighter - 

Mortal Kombat 11 - 

Super Mario Maker 2 - A great idea but poorly executed. Designers are given too much freedom with level design and it's like they feel they need to use every single option in one level. Blocks with Bowsers inside? Why? I wish the designs were more limited so the end result more closely resembles actual released levels and were more playable. Now when I turn on Twitch to watch someone play this game, it's 40 minutes of them dying in 4 second intervals. It isn't fun. I wish there was a way to get 100 levels of just pipes, pits and Goombas that I could play all night long, then it would be like a new Mario game every time I play.

Regarding the first three, for someone who's a solo-only gamer, yeah there isn't much to offer in those one-on-one fighting games. 😞  I do like looking through the trophies in Smash on the GC and Wii (yes I cheated and got all-trophies saves for them; so sue me!)...though the fact that you cannot zoom in and out and see all the details in the Wii trophies like you can on the GC (boy was it an awesome tech demo at the time; not just the trophies but the first time I saw that intro, wow!) was a MAJOR let down. 😞 Too bad the days of a next-gen system could surprise and wow you the first time you see it action compared to its predecessor(s) is apparently long gone (PS4 intro/release vs PS3 comes to mind...)  😞 ).

As for Super Mario Maker 2...well they sorta had to come up with new features and such or there would've been no point in making a second version!  I will concede though it's really hard to find good non-gimmick levels (in any of the 'Maker games) among the player created ones.  And where the heck is our Zelda Maker?????

Edited by Estil