IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

Well just remember: no matter what anyone tells you, there is no “greatest RPG of all time.” Because Final Fantasy 6 already holds that title.

Oh I can think of a few contenders (at least in my book)...FF9, FF12, DQ5, DQ11...

Seriously though I couldn't even tell you what the best game is on each platform.  Even a top ten list would be quite difficult.  Shoot it wasn't until last year that I finally found a group/band I could say is my one and only favorite (ABBA; I can't believe Agnetha is already 70 and Frida will be 75 later this year!!)...which ironically isn't even in my favorite genres (classic country and 80s)!

Edited by Estil

2 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Well just remember: no matter what anyone tells you, there is no “greatest RPG of all time.” Because Final Fantasy 6 already holds that title.

Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger are two of those games, that are way overhyped imho. Sure they're great and among the best of their generation and still hold up really well, but they're not perfect and it seems like they overshadow every other (SNES) RPG, just because fans have to constantly hype them up so much. When I finally got around to play and beat Chrono Trigger one or two years ago I almost felt a bit cheated after constantly hearing how good it's supposed to be. The same with FF6 even though I've played and finished that one on the PS1. My probably unpopular opinions here are: FFV > FFVI and FFVIII > FFVII. FFX is my favorite in the whole series and FFX-2 at least had an awesome job and battle system, but was unfortunately marred by everything else being lackluster.

Likewise, Secret of Mana > Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3)

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 6:19 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Steelbooks are dumb. Pay extra money for a tin case to hold the game when the plastic one works just fine? No thanks. The standard ones also match the rest of the collection every steel case just breaks the flow and drives the OCD nuts.

I'm not a big fan of them either. I get them through sheer obligation when plastic cases aren't a readily available option. Slip covers for them do help a bit (maybe), but plastic cases are the best.

I'd much prefer something that's easy to read on the spine, matches the rest of the collection and possibly a full colored manual included. 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:19 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Steelbooks are dumb. Pay extra money for a tin case to hold the game when the plastic one works just fine? No thanks. The standard ones also match the rest of the collection every steel case just breaks the flow and drives the OCD nuts.

35 minutes ago, BouncekDeLemos said:

I'm not a big fan of them either. I get them through sheer obligation when plastic cases aren't a readily available option. Slip covers for them do help a bit (maybe), but plastic cases are the best.

I'd much prefer something that's easy to read on the spine, matches the rest of the collection and possibly a full colored manual included. 

I love steelbooks because they often have beautiful alternate art and they just feel substantial. That being said, I don't actively collect them because they get scratched so easily. And if I can't display them, there's not much point in owning them. I suppose you could get PET protectors (maybe Blu Ray size?), but I haven't looked into it since I try to stick to one obsession at a time (NES...).

Edited by DoctorEncore

Shmups > RPGs... Maybe?

I don't know, I've been so confused lately. I mean, I love my RPGs but when I game now, I find myself reaching for shmups over RPGs almost every single time. There easy to pick up and put down. Especially games that save your progress...

I don't know what's happening or who I am anymore.

I guess, SHMUPS FTW!

Edited by RH

How's this for an unpopular opinion...remember how Final Fantasy 15 was worked on and hyped for several years and released a few years ago to much fanfare?  Well, as I've already mentioned, I'm really not so sure about it because I don't like at all there's no chicks in the party not to mention all the dudes on the team look pretty much the same 😞  But that's a really stupid reason to pass up this game, isn't it? 😞 

I don’t like Xenoblade’s combat at all. I’ve bought and tried all three in the current series. The original, X, and 2. For the life of me I can’t get into battle system at all.

Also the little fanservice-y fetishized characters in the second one are cringey.

6 hours ago, The Strangest said:

I don’t like Xenoblade’s combat at all. I’ve bought and tried all three in the current series. The original, X, and 2. For the life of me I can’t get into battle system at all.

Also the little fanservice-y fetishized characters in the second one are cringey.

It took me awhile to get used to Tales of Symphonia's combat system but I'm glad I did because it was one of the most awesome, most "surprises" kind of game I ever played.  Let's just say there were so many little things in that massive six megabyte (or 48 megabit as the preferred unit of data measurement at the time) game (tied with Star Ocean for biggest SNES games ever) that showed me just how super the Super Nintendo can really be! 🙂 

Gee you make that last statement sound like a bad thing, hee hee 😄   EDIT: *looks up characters* Eh, where are these fanservice-y fetished characters you speak of?  The ones in the main cast/team/party look pretty run of the mill/par for the course as far as these kind of games go.  Maybe I should give the first one a go, a couple of the chicks in that game do look really cute 🙂

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

I've driven by that sausage plant in simpsonville over the years a lot, but I've never once eaten their food.

And Xenoblade, I had the 3DS one and it took awhile to kind of get comfy with it.  It so fakes you out like it's live combat but it's still turn based with choices but live in that respect too so it's kind of strange to say the least and an acquired taste.  I got fairly comfortable with it dozens of hours into it, but I never did finish the game as I got tired of playing it every night on 3DS in bed and started falling asleep with it so it was put up, then sold years later.

On 5/13/2020 at 3:52 PM, The Strangest said:

This. 100%.

I think the game looks amazing and I like the wide open worlds almost as much as BotW.  But I can't get into the combat and the pseudo-dating style of the game, plus that one characters robotic... "toy".  

20 hours ago, Estil said:

It took me awhile to get used to Tales of Symphonia's combat system but I'm glad I did because it was one of the most awesome, most "surprises" kind of game I ever played.  Let's just say there were so many little things in that massive six megabyte (or 48 megabit as the preferred unit of data measurement at the time) game (tied with Star Ocean for biggest SNES games ever) that showed me just how super the Super Nintendo can really be! 🙂 

Gee you make that last statement sound like a bad thing, hee hee 😄   EDIT: *looks up characters* Eh, where are these fanservice-y fetished characters you speak of?  The ones in the main cast/team/party look pretty run of the mill/par for the course as far as these kind of games go.  Maybe I should give the first one a go, a couple of the chicks in that game do look really cute 🙂

I liked the characters in 2. Sure there were some skimpy outfits but it doesn't seem any different than RPGs from 20 years ago.  I  say that as I look at the Mythra and Pyra figures I imported.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is my only experience with the series.  I thought it was great and look forward to working my way through xenosaga and gears.

21 hours ago, Estil said:

I wouldn’t knock anyone who is into that sort of thing, but it’s just not for me. If sex appeal in a game is connected to some element of the experience, I’m all for it. But if there’s comically/unrealistically large anime t*tt**s flopping around for no reason, I’m a little annoyed that I have to try and explain it to my girlfriend who is laughing at me and what she now thinks is my taste in games.

To each their own though.

EDIT: But like this for example. I’m not entirely convinced the person who designed/programmed this character has ever seen a woman in real life.

B8787644-D030-436C-B4DB-8894CD627F1E.jpeg

Edited by The Strangest

The Great Fairy Sluts/Whores/Hookers from the N64 games have a similar outfit (which even at the time I didn't get why they made them like that; Great Fairies should be majestic angels like in LttP) but at least the one you pointed out isn't nearly as freaky looking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've driven by that sausage plant in simpsonville over the years a lot, but I've never once eaten their food.

And Xenoblade, I had the 3DS one and it took awhile to kind of get comfy with it.  It so fakes you out like it's live combat but it's still turn based with choices but live in that respect too so it's kind of strange to say the least and an acquired taste.  I got fairly comfortable with it dozens of hours into it, but I never did finish the game as I got tired of playing it every night on 3DS in bed and started falling asleep with it so it was put up, then sold years later.

Is the 3DS one a different game or just a port of the Wii version?  And you need to get'cha some of that gooooooood Kentucky sausage!  I wonder why at one time they took such pride in their sausage "not being watered down"...yet for whatever reason, their sausage now does in fact have water. 😞 

Edited by Estil

4 hours ago, Estil said:

Is the 3DS one a different game or just a port of the Wii version?  And you need to get'cha some of that gooooooood Kentucky sausage!  I wonder why at one time they took such pride in their sausage "not being watered down"...yet for whatever reason, their sausage now does in fact have water. 😞 

3DS is just a Wii port, pretty solid one, minimal changes if I recall right and it actually is a rare one where the NEW 3DS is required to even turn it on as it uses that doubled up guts it has to pull the game off.

Can't remember if I've posted in this thread, so I might be repeating myself, but:

The Grand Theft Auto games have absolutely no appeal.
And I'm talking the entire series, not just the 3D entries, but every game since the start. The only one I'll give a slight pass is GTA5 because they actually managed to make the environment varied enough to actually make it feel like you're going somewhere while running the same repetitive errands over and over again for various unsympethetic people. It feels like work, and I don't enjoy feeling like I'm working when playing games. I'm supposed to have fun.

People will tell you that the game is not about the missions, but about freestyling it and having fun wrecking things in the city. But then why the hell design the game all around those missions?? I might accept the approach if I could see what was so funny about knocking down random people in the street, but I still don't see the appeal.
I can enjoy wanton violence if it's designed with a fun twist, and it's not like I mind playing the bad guy. But just stealing stuff, and punching and shooting random people? I'm not sure humans are supposed to find that kind of stuff funny. The games have always been a really awkward combination of realism and this incredibly lazy attempt at "satire" that just doesn't sit well with me at all. And I've played a surprisingly large amount of them through in an attempt to somehow "get it".

At the end of the day, I can't fault anyone for enjoying the games. Everyone to their own. But why every new announcement in the series is always followed by the biggest amount of hype I've ever seen for any video game series ever, I just can't grasp. People should really save that for something that's actually exciting and enjoyable to play.

Edited by Sumez

I feel about the same, but not entirely.  GTA3/Vice City and the gta3 mini (aka gba's gta advance) actually didn't feel like work most the time.  Often I just found it more fun as you said with the world being not busy work and I did feel like I was doing something while going somewhere.  I think a good part of it was the Godfather and Miami Vice draw pulling me into it, and largely because I didn't rush it so I spent more time just being a dick and clubbing people with a bat or being malicious with cars and stuff to vent some annoyances of the work hours of the day.  GTA in the big picture sucks, and it has bothered me badly enough I can't even enjoy sandbox games of that style anymore either, the last attempt being the red dead release and it was a big ass chore with some horrible time limit events forced in the story that put me into selling that and quitting entirely.  It's no fun with a game becoming a job in itself, an unholy chore of life sucking poor choices.

I didn't either at first, didn't care either.  I had tried the earlier overhead stuff and felt it was disjointed and awful.  Had it not been for a co-worker at Midway at the time having it and playing it religiously on break I'd never have bothered at the time.  I thought the controls were not the best but functionally good in more places than not, but what really got me was on PC where I could quick snap aim at anything with a mouse and use classic FPS style pc controls, then it got fun for venting.  I think the games had more going for it NOT doing what you were suppose to other than the minimum just to make sure the various areas were unlocked eventually.  That and well wanting to be a complete ass, using the TANK code if not just eventually finding it later in the game was a must.  The amount of cop cars, swat, FBI, etc you could wreck was amazing.

4 hours ago, DarkTone said:

I've barely played FF7 or ocarina of time, because I find both games meh. I recognise how important both titles are in gaming history, but neither game means anything to me. 

I'm just the opposite, I really regret not getting into that and other RPGs back when I was in college...heck FF7 came out when I was in HS for Pete's sakes, on the same year as South Park I think!

• 3 weeks later...

A certain popular YouTuber put out a “most underrated consoles of all time” video and my unpopular opinion is going to be a disagreement with two of his choices (or his fan’s choices, as he had them rank things I believe).

No Nintendo console belongs on an underrated console list. There, I said it. Nintendo is the most popular and positively received gaming company of all time. I really feel every console got the love or dislike they deserved. The first pick in that video is the GameCube. Sure, there was some doubt back in the day pre-release and some during the early months, but this console is not underrated. In fact it’s one of the more highly praised consoles that I’ve seen online. And look now at the prices skyrocketing all over the place. Just because the PS2 did better that generation doesn’t mean the GameCube was underrated. It isn’t nearly as looked down upon as other systems that deserve to be considered “underrated.”

The Wii U was also on that list. I’ve already made my opinion on the Wii U clear in this thread. I don’t think it is underrated. I think it is correctly rated. The first party games were good, but a console can’t be held up by first party alone. Therefore the overall performance of the console is remembered correctly, in my opinion.

• Like 4