IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

I think there may have been a topic like this over at the old NA, so I thought I'd bring it back.  As it reads on the can, this is about video game opinions you sincerely hold (not just posting one just for the sake of trolling/getting a rise out of people if you get what I mean) that are UNpopular among the overall video gaming community.  Of course I and I'm sure the respondents of this topic don't mean to purposely offend or upset anyone with these views but at the same please understand that the viewpoints being UNpopular is the whole point!  So without further ado...

1. Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 is actually an okay game - I mean you do basically the same thing you'd do in a Pac-Man game right?  Eat all the (in this case dashes), avoid the monsters/ghosts, eat energizers (no not the batteries) so you can eat the ghosts/monsters for bonus points and get as high a score as you can.  The main reason this game gets so much grief is that it's "not like the arcade"...well the first time I tried this an a Atari 2600 in general (1993) I was not at all expecting it to be like the arcade!  I mean if the NES version couldn't quite get the look/feel right (the Tengen Ms Pac Man OTOH most definitely did).  At least I could pick up and play this game as opposed to some of the other cartridges where, without the manual/overlays you have no idea what you're doing.  Thus I strongly disagree that 2600's Pac Man is anywhere close to being among the worst among 2600 games.

2. So far, I've chosen not to do online gaming - I know most everyone else seems to love it and I have nothing against it at all, but I personally just feel most comfortable with the old fashioned single player games where it's just me and the kitty going at my own pace.  Is that so wrong?  Or am I really out of touch with today's gaming? 😞

3. Honestly, I was not nearly as impressed with the Switch as most others were - I'm sure this was no big secret but for the first year or two, I was really not impressed with the Nintendo Switch even though everyone else seemed to love it dearly.  The games didn't look any different from Wii U ones, most of the blue chip games were just ports of Wii U games...and I'm glad that the system is finally learning to be itself.  There's already a Wii U.  I'm still very concerned that we won't get a proper new Mario Kart 9 for it. 😞  At least Animal Crossing is finally back though.  I DO in fact want to get a Switch at some point...but I think it's best for now to hold out for the Pro version (and you know it will come sooner or later).

4. Mobile/phone/tablet only games are the "bush leagues" of video gaming - Okay maybe this isn't all the unpopular a view (especially with the microtransactions getting completely out of hand) but still, I honestly thought most modern gamers were mostly okay with these and would've viewed my objections to these as just being a fuddy duddy video gaming traditionalist 😛  Well I use Everdrive cartridges whenever possible (to save on wear and tear on my cartridge collections and so I don't needlessly scratch or 'print any of my discs) so yeah, any traditionalist cred I would've had is already pretty much shot.

5. Nintendo sticking with cartridges for the N64 was not all that bad a move - As that sports show would say, here are the Top Five Reasons You Can't Blame...Nintendo for sticking with cartridges for the N64:

CONSOLE AFFORDABILITY: Although N64 cartridges were more expensive than PS1 discs, Nintendo made up for this in the affordability of the console itself. As CD-ROM technology was still fairly new in 1995 when the PS1 and SAT came out, they started out at $300-$400. Whereas the Nintendo 64 at launch was a mere $200 (plus $50-$60 for Mario 64). So while the games may have been a bit pricier, the console itself was much more affordable.

NO LOAD TIMES: Being the first ever major consoles that needed memory cards (though the Saturn could use a main battery) and the relative slowness of the CD-ROM drives, the PS1 and SAT were plagued by loading times which really slowed down the gaming experience. Nintendo knew this and was all the more reason they chose to stick with cartridges for faster smoother and (mostly) load time-free gaming.

ALMOST NO NEED FOR MEMORY CARDS OR OTHER ACCESSORIES: While memory cards are pretty much mandatory on the PS1, most of the blue chip Nintendo 64 games save right on the cartridge and either don't need memory cards at all or make them optional (for example, Mario Kart 64 saves the major stuff like cups and time trial times on the cartridge but you need a memory card for racing ghosts). Not to mention the fact the games save much faster than they do on a memory card based format. Furthermore, most of the Nintendo 64 games (except for Ocarina of Time, F-Zero-X and Super Smash Bros to name a few) don't even use battery backup, so there's no need to worry about the battery dying either. Furthermore, the N64 was the only console with standard four controller support in the Fifth Generation (and so was the GCN in the Sixth Generation); four player support needs an optional accessory on the PS1.

DURABLY: Unlike disc based consoles where the discs must be carefully handled by the edges and kept in their cases (if you don't want them to be scratched all over), cartridges are much more sturdy and if some careless younger gamer just leaves them strung around all over the floor, that's not nearly as big of a deal as if they were discs. Like it or not folks, younger gamers were and are a key part of Nintendo's target demographic and know that they sometimes don't take as good care of games as more experienced, older gamers do. Furthermore, because of the lack of moving parts, Nintendo 64's (and most other cartridge based consoles) are very much built like Tonka trucks, built to last, while the PS1 (and PS2, and PS3...) can get DRE'd just from being bumped the wrong way.

COLLECTIBLITY: Of course, Nintendo wasn't even thinking about it at the time, but now that it's been almost ten years since the end of the Nintendo 64 era, many classic gamers (such as myself) have taken a liking to and are now collecting Nintendo 64 cartridges. For any disc based console, you pretty much have to still have the original cases (or put them in your own jewel cases), but for cartridges, you can just do cartridge only (and go online to read most of the manuals) and just have them in a shelf no problem! And personally, I think cartridges are more attractive, interesting collectibles than discs.

I might post some more later.

Edited by Estil

I am totally with you on points 2 and 4.

Online gaming isn't for me, but I love couch sessions with friends in local multiplayer.
And I can't find an iota of enjoyment in mobile games. Either the games are watered-down, crappy versions, overbloated with microtransactions and pay-to-win mechanics, not to mention ads. Or the controls just plain suck. Plus gaming on a mobile just feels wrong.

I'll add my own for good measure:
1. I don't really dig games based on nonsensical anime.
2. I find most puzzle games uninteresting. There are a few exceptions, like Tetris, Tetris Blast and Panel de Pon.
3. In spite of some glaring graphical and framerate issues, the N64 has one of the best and most underappreciated libraries in my opinion.

Edited by ifightdragons

2. I personally love the picross games.  You'll find two on the SGB (only the first made it to the US though) and one on the SNES (sadly JP only).

3. Shall I bring back my old "I don't get the whole "games hasn't aged well"" topic?  Though even at the time of the PS1's prime I did find the jagged edges and such to be quite weird when compared to much smoother crisper visuals of the N64, at least I did when I was on vacation with my HS baseball team at the time and they brought both system and each with a baseball game.  But I figured that was just the N64 being 64 bits (not to mention it came later) and the PS1 being only 32 bits.  After all like that math teacher tells us in the Jaguar commercial, do the math...64 is twice as good as 32, correct? 😉 

I still feel that Star Fox on the Super Nintendo still holds up to this day. At least for me. Low polys and framerate don't bother me. I even like it better than the Nintendo 64 version, and I actually love the 64 version. 

Also, I do not like Tifa's new look in the new Final Fantasy 7 remake. I feel that giving her stockings, shorts under her skirt, black undershirt... is kinda prudish. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BouncekDeLemos said:

I still feel that Star Fox on the Super Nintendo still holds up to this day. At least for me. Low polys and framerate don't bother me. I even like it better than the Nintendo 64 version, and I actually love the 64 version. 

Also, I do not like Tifa's new look in the new Final Fantasy 7 remake. I feel that giving her stockings, shorts under her skirt, black undershirt... is kinda prudish. 

Oh boy was I in awe of StarFox when it came out (sadly I didn't own very many games; I could only rent most of them back then), so much so I'd even get a chair and pretend like I was in an actual plane! 😄 Then again one of the Jeff Rovin books at the time warned that, while StarFox does have "interesting graphics", those who've experienced the upcoming/next-gen/whatever 32-64 bit flight sims might be a tad spoiled! 

Maybe that's the whole point, we have been spoiled by decades of progress it can be easy (especially for those who weren't born yet at the time) to forget just how ground breaking and cutting edge these games were in the mid 90s.  The 5th gen not only marked the first consoles specifically meant for 3D polygon graphics but in the PS1's case, the start of "talkies" (games that had actual voiced dialog (not just one or two lines worth at best like in the past) and animated cutscenes in the game, thanks to the CD-ROM having 10x more space than even the biggest N64 game)

• Like 1

I don't feel like the NES is all that great.  After about 5 games I drop off hard.  SMB3 is the only game I have felt compelled to beat when playing.  The gameplay generally doesn't interest me and the typical graphics do not help.  Plenty of good music though.  I will give it that.  Just keep Megaman away from me.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I don't feel like the NES is all that great.  After about 5 games I drop off hard.  SMB3 is the only game I have felt compelled to beat when playing.  The gameplay generally doesn't interest me and the typical graphics do not help.  Plenty of good music though.  I will give it that.  Just keep Megaman away from me.

Honestly, unless someone grew up or at least was alive during the prime of the NES, then it's totally understandable that it wouldn't be the same.  Probably why I can't get into say, Atari 2600 as well as those who grew up with the console in its late 70s-early 80s prime.  I also didn't see hardly any appeal to the Genesis at the time (besides Sonic) compared to SNES, which is also a shame because I'm sure I'm really missing out compared to someone who, again, grew up with the Genesis and all its blue chips.  Conversely, I'm sure those who owned and grew up with the PS1 probably think just as if not more highly and nostalgically about it as I do about the NES/SNES...right?

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

Regarding N64/PS1 games not aging well, whether we want to admit it or not, those systems and games are to 3D gaming what the Atari, Intellivision and Colecovision is to 2D gaming.

Those systems were able to sell because video gaming was fresh and new. Many of us who can love and appreciate pre-Nintendo games overwhelmingly played them. Nostalgia has to play a factor in enjoying them, or at least a strong since of enjoying living history for the kids to young to have grown up with them.

I love the N64 and PS1! I think there are so many fun games for both and I do think there are a handful that still "hold up" for a younger generation, but we have to admit that games back then we're quite crude. So many of the console studios we're learning the ropes of 3D so their games were basic and they were still trying to make 2D gaming experiences in 3D environments. But by the time we got to the next generatiom, game devs had a good swing of what they were doing and really started to make games that I feel can be seen as "timeless" today.

Ironically, one of the most playable games from that first gen systems is SM64. I love many games on those systems but IMHO, that's one game that I feel was designed well enough to have mass appeal, even today. Disclaimer, I'm not counting 2D games that came out on the 64 or PS1. That's completely different.

• Like 2

The Zelda games on Gameboy and DS platforms suck. (Except ALBW, that was good.)

Super Mario 3D games are trash.

3 hours ago, Estil said:

I mean if the NES version of Pacman couldn't quite get the look/feel right

It’s pretty darn close though. As good an adaptation as Donkey Kong (from a technical standpoint. Never mind the missing level) or TMNT2. Better than Kung Fu or Contra.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

Ever play the heavy hitters? Samson, mighty final fight, zombie nation, Bucky O'Hare, metal storm? They're all top tier games. It's a shame physical only players have to shell out the big money to pay them. 

46 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Ever play the heavy hitters? Samson, mighty final fight, zombie nation, Bucky O'Hare, metal storm? They're all top tier games. It's a shame physical only players have to shell out the big money to pay them. 

I’m 50-50 on that short list. You’d make a better case with dank games. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Link said:

The Zelda games on Gameboy and DS platforms suck. (Except ALBW, that was good.)

You know I wasn't so sure about the whole stylus only controls for the DS Zelda either but for me I think they worked pretty darn well; I especially appreciated VERY much being able to mark/label stuff on maps...like mark "100" or "200" for example for each big green and big red rupee I find respectively.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

FPS games would all be better as third person perspective.

But then there would be no FPS games.  Surely you're not calling for the total extinction of a whole gaming genre are you? 😞 

While we're on the subject of FPS's, I don't know if this is really an unpopular opinion as such but I really was not happy about there being a multi-player feature in Metroid Prime 2, which I don't think belongs in a game/series that's suppose to be about a lone bounty hunter completing a mission that no one else (not even a whole team) can do.  The time/resources that went into that multi-player silliness would've been far better spent on the real game.

Edited by Estil

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

I like Kingdom Hearts 3 and Pokemon Sword. Someone come crucify me.

Those are two very big name/popular series...that doesn't sound like a very crucifiable (yeah that's probably not a word) opinion to me.

I've so far not chosen to do any of the Xboxes either...though I would do the original one if it is indeed an ideal MAME/arcade machine.

PS: In the OP, I reposted a classic post I made years ago.  Remember that sports show called Top Five Reasons You Can't Blame (which also was all about an alternate look at controversial sports issues)?  Well it's the Top Five Reasons You Can't Blame the Nintendo 64 for sticking with cartridge format.

Edited by Estil

24 minutes ago, Estil said:

Those are two very big name/popular series...that doesn't sound like a very crucifiable (yeah that's probably not a word) opinion to me.

The current trend in modern gaming culture is to spend more time complaining about video games than playing them. They’re able to justify this by blowing any flaws a game may have way out of proportion. These days, if a game isn’t a 10/10 it’s a 0/10, in the court of public opinion. The two games I mentioned have some flaws, but they’re not bad games. And they even exceed their predecessors in many areas. You wouldn’t know that if you read about them on a place like Reddit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Estil said:

1. Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 is actually an okay game -

1. I see your Pac-Man and raise you E.T. It's not a bad game, either, you just have to read the manual to find out how to play it. Once you do, it's no worse than other Atari 2600 games, and is actually quite advanced for a primitive console. Atari Pac-Man isn't bad, but it was disappointing, especially since other ports (Centipede, Asteroids, Space Invaders) were pretty good. Space Invaders actually exceeds the arcade in some ways (a huge plethora of custom options in particular.)
  2. SMB 3 is too damn long of a game without a battery save or a password system. Whoever thought that was a good idea was on the sauce. I don't give a shit that the warp whistles can move you through it faster, I hate skipping over chunks in games. I want to play through the whole thing, but I don't want my ass to be sore when I'm done. If Kirby's Adventure can have a battery save, so can SMB 3.
  3. Nintendo Tetris is superior to Tengen Tetris in most ways. Yes, Tengen had the multiplayer options, but for single player block stacking, Nintendo all the way.
  4. Tetris 2 isn't a bad game. It's not as good as classic Tetris, but it's an okay puzzle game. Loopz is pretty fun, too.
  5. LJN wasn't the worst publisher on the NES. It's middle of the road, in there with Acclaim, Mindscape, Data East, and even Bandai. Some decent games, some okay games, some dreck. THQ was probably the worst licensed publisher when looking at their overall library. James Bond Jr. probably the only game they had that approaches okay, and even it had some annoying aspects.

• Like 2

I dislike FF7.

8 minutes ago, Tulpa said:
  1. SMB 3 is too damn long of a game without a battery save or a password system. Whoever thought that was a good idea was on the sauce. I don't give a shit that the warp whistles can move you through it faster, I hate skipping over chunks in games. I want to play through the whole thing, but I don't want my ass to be sore when I'm done. If Kirby's Adventure can have a battery save, so can SMB 3.

Totally this. I played through the entirety of it with a friend years ago, and it took us close to 7 hours to finish it. We had to take a break and leave the NES on while we went out to eat in between. (In AVGN voice) What were they thinking?!

7 hours ago, Estil said:

Honestly, unless someone grew up or at least was alive during the prime of the NES, then it's totally understandable that it wouldn't be the same.  Probably why I can't get into say, Atari 2600 as well as those who grew up with the console in its late 70s-early 80s prime.  I also didn't see hardly any appeal to the Genesis at the time (besides Sonic) compared to SNES, which is also a shame because I'm sure I'm really missing out compared to someone who, again, grew up with the Genesis and all its blue chips.  Conversely, I'm sure those who owned and grew up with the PS1 probably think just as if not more highly and nostalgically about it as I do about the NES/SNES...right?

That makes perfect sense.  I had a NES with SMB/Duckhunt around the house as a kid.  They are the first games I played.  Over at a friends house I played SNES.  I have good memories of that and therefore much more interest.

5 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I've fired them up on an everdrive before.  Would play for  a couple minutes and move on.

Oddly I like a lot of indie games now that seem to pull from the 8 and 16bit era.  If it gets to close (The Messenger) I stop liking it again. 

I will say I played Splatterhouse for Famicom and enjoyed myself.  That is the only other nes game I recall beating.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:
  1. If only they had done something about those aggravating pits.
  2. To be fair Kirby's Adventure came out three years later (among the best NES graphics ever BTW).  I think the whistles were enough of a "work around" to the no battery.  Now, if we're talking major quest or rpg sorts of games yes the battery is a MUST.  But other than that I honestly like the password system.  Not only is there no need to worry about the battery dying (not that anyone was thinking that far ahead at the time) but you can do some creative tricks/codes with the password system that are not possible otherwise.
  3. I do happen to think the Nintendo Tetris looks better and more colorful
  4. I don't recall anyone really saying Tetris 2 was a bad game though.  Though I suppose it could've had a New Coke thing going for it.
  5. Hmmm, I'm not sure I would've noticed any consistently bad companies on the NES.  In fact I personally enjoyed the NES Simpsons games (though they are a bit too long for a game with no battery/password and the controls REALLY take some getting used to).

(actually these are my replies, sorry if it looks a bit confusing; I was trying to save space)

Edited by Estil