IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

5 hours ago, The Strangest said:

I’m a huge hockey fan and I’ve gotten into it with some rival fans on Twitter lol

I gotta ask...I'm sure as a huge hockey fan you've heard of Blades of Steel right?  How do you think it'd be if the NHL had a "Blades of Steel rule" where only the loser of the fight gets sent to the 'box?  Well provided it's a fair fight of course.

I don't guess any other hockey video games have done anything like that since?  Not even as an option?

Edited by Estil

Events Team · Posted
52 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I have a problem with many fighting games now.

Super Smash Brothers - I don't understand this game, I knock my opponent off the play field into the pit and he just jumps off the air and back into battle. If I knock him off, he should die. Also I couldn't figure out the move set initially until someone told me I just have to use a direction and a button. The problem with that is it doesn't always work, sometimes it will shoot a fireball, sometimes it won't. Do you hold the direction and then press? Do you do both at the same time? I can't figure it out.

I can't comment on the other three, but I will say that the objective of Super Smash Bros. is to knock your opponent completely off the screen, not just the stage, however there is still a small portion off-screen in which your opponent can still survive, so you have to knock them pretty far. You have to whittle down their health enough to the point where you can do a powerful enough move that'll send them absolutely careening off the face of the Earth. Also, each direction you hold before pressing a button will make you do a different move, which is probably why you find the fireballs so inconsistent. So if you hold up and press a button, it'll do something different than if you hold right and press a button. Not to mention the fact that each character has their own move set and attacks, which further complicates things. But, to answer your question, generally speaking you hold a direction and then press the button, however if I remember correctly, doing both at the same time can also do different moves, but that may be different in the original compared to the one I'm familiar with.

Granted I'm basing all of this on my knowledge of the newest iteration of Smash Bros, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, however I believe most of this does apply to the original as well, assuming that's the one you're playing. If you're still willing to give the game a chance, I would definitely recommend sticking with one character for now until you get somewhat used to the mechanics of the game before branching out to other characters to see which one you enjoy playing as.

5 minutes ago, Chuppa said:

I only enjoy Mega Man 2.  Mega Man 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 were all horrible to me.  Tried Mega Man X and couldn't get into it either.  Want to try Mega Man 11 on switch but I don't know if I would enjoy it.

Not a chance...when possible only get the PS3/PS4 version so you get trophies! 😄  (I'm being half-sarcastic).  Still I would've thought you would've at least liked X1...you did know the boss order in the others right?

• Haha 2

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Chuppa said:

I only enjoy Mega Man 2.  Mega Man 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 were all horrible to me.  Tried Mega Man X and couldn't get into it either.  Want to try Mega Man 11 on switch but I don't know if I would enjoy it.

Oh hey, you actually just reminded me of an actually quite unpopular opinion I have: I don't really enjoy Mega Man games in general. Granted, I will admit it's been quite awhile since I've tried to play one, but I could never really get in to the originals or the X games. I gave both a pretty damn good shot, but I dunno. I just never quite got the hang of them.

It's bizarre too, because I really like the Contra games for example, and stuff like Cuphead, so I'm not opposed to the challenge, I just... I dunno, I just never really liked them, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Edited by ZeldaFreak
Additional clarification on how bizarre it is that I don't like Mega Man
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Not a chance...when possible only get the PS3/PS4 version so you get trophies! 😄  (I'm being half-sarcastic).  Still I would've thought you would've at least liked X1...you did know the boss order in the others right?

Yeah I knew the order I just never enjoyed playing them, after I died to something stupid I would just shut it off.  I don't know if it has to do with how awesome Metal Man is in Mega Man 2 and I would always do him first and just have blast with his weapon.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

1 minute ago, Chuppa said:

Yeah I knew the order I just never enjoyed playing them, after I died to something stupid I would just shut it off.  I don't know if it has to do with how awesome Metal Man is in Mega Man 2 and I would always do him first and just have blast with his weapon.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

I always did Airman first because one, that's actually the manual's recommended first level, and you get that handy dandy "2" Jet (later the Rush or as I like to call it "the Ditto Jet" in honor of one real-life Rush in particular 😄

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chuppa said:

I really only like the first two. Mega Man 9 and 10 were okay, but I didn't care for 4-6 and I never got into the Mega Man X games at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chuppa said:

That sparked some good conversation.  Here is another.

I enjoy FF7 and FFX.  However, I think Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II on dreamcast are just as good, even better, and no one ever talks about them.

Crazy Taxi is all you need on the Dreamcast.  The other games don't have The Offspring.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Super Mario Maker 2 - A great idea but poorly executed. Designers are given too much freedom with level design and it's like they feel they need to use every single option in one level. Blocks with Bowsers inside? Why? I wish the designs were more limited so the end result more closely resembles actual released levels and were more playable. Now when I turn on Twitch to watch someone play this game, it's 40 minutes of them dying in 4 second intervals. It isn't fun. I wish there was a way to get 100 levels of just pipes, pits and Goombas that I could play all night long, then it would be like a new Mario game every time I play.

You should look into the more creative ones, where you have to solve puzzles. Some of those guys are clever enough that you want Nintendo to throw money at them to do the next Mario installments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Super Mario Maker 2 - A great idea but poorly executed. Designers are given too much freedom with level design and it's like they feel they need to use every single option in one level. Blocks with Bowsers inside? Why? I wish the designs were more limited so the end result more closely resembles actual released levels and were more playable. Now when I turn on Twitch to watch someone play this game, it's 40 minutes of them dying in 4 second intervals. It isn't fun. I wish there was a way to get 100 levels of just pipes, pits and Goombas that I could play all night long, then it would be like a new Mario game every time I play

Check out Mario maker 3ds. There literally 100 levels made by Nintendo that are very solid. It's a lot of fun tbh. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Makar said:

Whoaaa what??? That one had the most items I believe until botw. Tons of dungeons, a great world to explore. Solid game. Lttp is awesome! 

But anywho, what is your favorite Zelda if you don't like that one?

Well I prefer the 3D Zelda's to the 2D ones, I would probably say that OoT is my favourite when push comes to shove. But I also love MM and BOTW is neat.

My favourite 2D Zelda is A Link Between Worlds on 3DS... This is probably the weirdest part of the whole thing, I love THAT game... It's just way better in every way than the original, dungeons are better, combat is better, Link is faster, the graphics look great, I love the whole wall walking thing...

Anyway, for my NEXT trick:

I love Zelda: Spirit Tracks, possibly in my top 3 Zelda games! Chew on THAT one you guys! 🤣

14 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Well I prefer the 3D Zelda's to the 2D ones, I would probably say that OoT is my favourite when push comes to shove. But I also love MM and BOTW is neat.

My favourite 2D Zelda is A Link Between Worlds on 3DS... This is probably the weirdest part of the whole thing, I love THAT game... It's just way better in every way than the original, dungeons are better, combat is better, Link is faster, the graphics look great, I love the whole wall walking thing...

I love Zelda: Spirit Tracks, possibly in my top 3 Zelda games! Chew on THAT one you guys! 🤣

Haha man you are quite the interesting Zelda fan. Spirit tracks is nowhere near my top 5 list. I did enjoy lbw too. Oot is always a good classic. 

My top 5 are wind waker, botw, lttp, oot, and probably links awakening. 

19 minutes ago, OptOut said:

2 minutes ago, Makar said:

Haha man you are quite the interesting Zelda fan. Spirit tracks is nowhere near my top 5 list. I did enjoy lbw too. Oot is always a good classic. 

My top 5 are wind waker, botw, lttp, oot, and probably links awakening. 

Oh God! The Zelda-related opinions in this thread!

Phantom Hourglass is pretty damn good, but Spirit Tracks is just 🤮.

24 minutes ago, OptOut said:

IMG_3866.GIF

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Oh God! The Zelda-related opinions in this thread!

Phantom Hourglass is pretty damn good, but Spirit Tracks is just 🤮.

Phantom Hourglass was basically a tech demo, they really refined the movement, the puzzles and the action in Spirit Tracks. They also got rid of that stupid dungeon you had to redo like ten times, that was a real waste of time right there and dragged the whole game down IMO. Spirit Tracks really just elevated an average game that was Phantom Hourglass into a full blown epic adventure IMO.

Besides, the trains were AWESOME, I loved chugging along tooting the horn, customizing my train it was the BEST! 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Estil said:

I gotta ask...I'm sure as a huge hockey fan you've heard of Blades of Steel right?  How do you think it'd be if the NHL had a "Blades of Steel rule" where only the loser of the fight gets sent to the 'box?  Well provided it's a fair fight of course.

I don't guess any other hockey video games have done anything like that since?  Not even as an option?

Hmmm... I feel like it would incentivize the aggressors in hockey to go after the stars who rarely fight. I mean usually your team’s aggressor will step in to protect the star players from an aggro opponent, but still.

I like the current system. Both guys agree to the fight knowing they’ll go down for a few minutes after. And it’s usually not a bad deal for either team because usually the enforcers/aggressors aren’t very good hockey players or a liability on the ice, lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

Phantom Hourglass was basically a tech demo, they really refined the movement, the puzzles and the action in Spirit Tracks. They also got rid of that stupid dungeon you had to redo like ten times, that was a real waste of time right there and dragged the whole game down IMO. Spirit Tracks really just elevated an average game that was Phantom Hourglass into a full blown epic adventure IMO.

Besides, the trains were AWESOME, I loved chugging along tooting the horn, customizing my train it was the BEST! 😄

Not as awesome as these trains though 😄