IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

20 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Well they get rid of various detritus and serve as a food source for various predators.   But they are a disease vector and they destroy/contaminate  lots of food - especially in lesser developed countries. 

--------------------------

Just got back from the grocery store - during this whole fiasco it has been hard to get club soda (which Mrs. Tabonga is supposed to drink as a mineral supplement to a medical condition) - for some reason people grab that right after they loot the tp aisle - we did find the last six bottles at the third grocery store we went to.   It is kind of odd some of the things that are in short supply.

Most liquor stores will have club soda if you can’t get any at the grocery store.

• Like 1

What happens when the lockdown is lifted next month? The virus is still out there will people forget and go back to the old ways. Do you guys and gals think large gatherings and events will come back such as flea markets and comic cons or will people still be afraid of what is going on with no end in sight.

13 minutes ago, MisterGoomba said:

What happens when the lockdown is lifted next month? The virus is still out there will people forget and go back to the old ways. Do you guys and gals think large gatherings and events will come back such as flea markets and comic cons or will people still be afraid of what is going on with no end in sight.

The virus will still be there, the public will be encouraged to go out, people will do so gleefully (not that they have been staying home anyway), the virus will spread further, but we’ll be told the economy is more important, etc. Most of us who weren’t sick before will likely catch it. That’s my guess.

I can’t imagine if this were a very severe situation like a foreign invasion. People would be instructed to keep their lights off at night or to not drive their cars into town needlessly and they would defy it at every second like they do now. This country is full of morons with no self-discipline, we wouldn’t last if this were any more severe than it is right now.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

Wow, makes sense, maybe a good thing?  Do rats serve a purpose in the chain?

All animals do to an extent. Even wasps. I’m a big proponent of the fact that wasps are extremely beneficial to the environment and not as bad as people say they are. Somebody @ me about it.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MisterGoomba said:

Trump actually has no authority to lift lockdowns. That's up to the individual states and local governments. Some that have a high percentage of his supporters may follow suit, but I suspect most will keep the lockdown in place.

Rural areas haven't seen the worst of this yet, so lifting lockdowns early is courting disaster for them.

The lockdowns are working in states that had them going when the virus first hit here.

28 minutes ago, MisterGoomba said:

It will go back to normal...slowly. I think it will be sometime until we can have large conventions or concerts.

Which are my main sources of income/entertainment unfortunately.  I have cabin fever soooo bad.

7 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Didn't think that was a secret.

That is the only practical approach, given the length of time to a vaccine.

Yeah that's no surprise, and I know I'm being cold saying it, it couldn't happen sooner.  Yes I know I'm talking death here, but given the low percentage of people it will ultimately kill either in a short time, or dragged out like ripping off a band-aid one hair at a time, it will either way.  Vaccines and the rest you're likely looking at 2021, and unless you really want the global economy wrecked, people are just going to have to deal and return to life.  People, sheeple, whatever, in mass are stupid, obvious statement there right?  They'll get fed up with it and you'll see more and more people defying and just going out either way because well cabin fever.  It probably would be a better thing to end the lock downs next month or June at the latest.  Sooner people get infected, and for many not realize it, or just think it's a few days of the blahs to a fever/cold that lasts a week or two until it's totally behind them and that'll be it.  Sure it's nastier than the flu fatalities, but it's not ebola either or anything on the level of that.

And while we're at it, think enough nations will finally get a backbone about it and do something about China.  Them defending the CCP to the death literally here has come to not just screw them, or the region (like with SARS1 vs 2 now), but instead the planet, and it sickens me as history seems to play out so far the WHO seems to be in their pocket playing some defense game.  They really should be held accountable.  No I don't think you'll see some large united coalition roll them over and try and take out the CCP, none of them have the brass or will to do that given the losses that would occur, but some kind of punishment is well deserved.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah that's no surprise, and I know I'm being cold saying it, it couldn't happen sooner.  Yes I know I'm talking death here, but given the low percentage of people it will ultimately kill either in a short time, or dragged out like ripping off a band-aid one hair at a time, it will either way. 

Would you rather die by it tmrw or in 5 mnths? I'm not saying you're wrong but it's a logic vs heart situation.

Maybe someone like Morgan Freeman from Lean on Me could remind those who insist on flagrantly ignoring the whole social distancing thing that if they get the virus, the could get acute respiratory distress syndrome! *everyone blank faced as they don't know what that means*

That means you can hardly breathe!!!

Edited by Estil

Administrator · Posted
21 hours ago, MisterGoomba said:

I still think you'll see things slowly open back up with new rules, whether it be smaller capacities, masks, appointments, etc.   I think barbers and salons should open first with those rules.

As far as your sporting events, concerts, and larger gatherings, those are going to be much trickier.   One of my friends mentioned that he would be surprised to see any video game or comic cons happen this calendar year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I still think you'll see things slowly open back up with new rules, whether it be smaller capacities, masks, appointments, etc.   I think barbers and salons should open first with those rules.

As far as your sporting events, concerts, and larger gatherings, those are going to be much trickier.   One of my friends mentioned that he would be surprised to see any video game or comic cons happen this calendar year.

Yeah, I'm pretty curious about sports, concerts and such into the fall and winter. We can't just keep extending this lockdown indefinitely and I think people will slowly begin to revolt (many already are). It'll be interesting to see how organizations/gov'ts will deal with lifting restrictions for these high attendance events. I guess many of the roughest hit places may actually be the ones to lift restriction the fastest assuming immunity after first infection.

22 hours ago, Tanooki said:

just going out either way because well cabin fever. 

The people who are going to get it, are going to get it. 

There are simulations that, with strict social distancing we could get away with only 20 - 40% of the population becoming infected and getting away with herd immunity. 

One huge issue is the kids. They don't really get sick from it, thank god, but they spread the disease. So effectively you could have a basically hidden outbreak in a school but only see it in the staff and the parents. 

As someone who works in a high school, I don't think we'll see people gathering in a school until there's a vaccine or a an effective treatment simply bc of the #'s of exponential growth you can see in that situation.

Every student has the potential to infect 1 to 2 parents. That's kind of growth would tear through the population and be a worst case scenario imo.

22 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Would you rather die by it tmrw or in 5 mnths? I'm not saying you're wrong but it's a logic vs heart situation.

Well if it was going to happen, might as well get it over with, and I mean that in the big picture, not just myself.  Sooner the better then those who are invulnerable to it, or at least get sick like a really shitty flu for a couple few weeks and it passes lives on fine, all the better.  I'm so over the trending burned into the ground comments on distancing this and social that...at least I'm doing it as my wife is compromised to some degree.  As RGG there said just above, kids are basically functionally bulletproof it appears, so the old joke of schools and children being disease factories to make their parents sick seems to hold with this too.  I don't agree with the fact schools will stay closed up, it just won't work so well, especially if suddenly someone has to quit a job to teach a kid from home since they won't do it on their own, especially the younger they are.

What do we think we know ultimately?  There's no affordable or practical way to test everyone at all, so these numbers we get fed daily are pure bullshit, and scaring the hell out of people as some countries are just doing it more than others so it's all crap skewed data.  What is the assumed known, that likely 4 of 5 people already are exposed, have it, had it, or for that couple percent died of it, and that was said like 2-3 weeks ago so is it now like 9 out of 10?  Who knows?  The gov't isn't living some fantasy either, shit today Newsom in CA said they're going to relax stuff in stages around the state and it's one of the highest, and Cuomo in NY along with the new england states did so days earlier.  They know it's a wash along with a dog and pony show, a shit show, that's ruining the economy and scaring the crap out of everyone to irrational behaviors and beyond.  And the real cost?  2-3% death rate, and an economy in the shitter for how long?  And despite gov't threats and stipulations around bailout bucks, should we really feel everyone still has a job on the back end of this?  Hopefully most/all do, but I wouldn't count on it.

And again, who's to blame, the CCP playing shadow games, delay tactics, LIES, smoke and mirrors, the blame game, and now trying to act like saviors with their faulty equipment for a price.  Screw em.  I want to see the CCP punished hard, and it appears the world is gearing up for it thankfully.   No not actual war, but a financial one it appears.  The US, Europe, parts of Asia and others are now talking of coercing or forcing depending on their nations laws, of pulling their factories of production out of China to back home or elsewhere so they don't see money from it.  No better way to destroy that system and head of the snake in a place like that than cut off their funding.