IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

14 hours ago, OptOut said:

Just in case anyone was wondering, my Aunt has beat Corona and is out of hospital now! We're thanking our lucky stars over that one, fingers crossed that's the closest scrape our family will have with it, but who knows about the future... 

Oh that's great to hear!!! I'm glad Auntie Bear is doing fine then 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Just got home from target. Probably up to 75% masks now. Work not nearly as high, maybe 20% of people wearing masks that come into the gas station. If that.

Seemed like around 20-25% at BJ's (a wholesale club around here) when I went Friday.   I've avoided Walmart and Target and the like since this whole thing started.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Seemed like around 20-25% at BJ's (a wholesale club around here) when I went Friday.   I've avoided Walmart and Target and the like since this whole thing started.

I Will say that Target > Wal-Mart right now. The general crowd is much more civilized and bought in to the corona rules. I still avoid going, but we needed printer ink and homeschool supplies and a handful of groceries. Amazon is delaying non essential orders, so who knows how long stuff would take to deliver.

Administrator · Posted
6 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I Will say that Target > Wal-Mart right now. The general crowd is much more civilized and bought in to the corona rules. I still avoid going, but we needed printer ink and homeschool supplies and a handful of groceries. Amazon is delaying non essential orders, so who knows how long stuff would take to deliver.

From my experience, not that much longer.  I think they put that disclaimer in there so people don't bitch when their Prime stuff doesn't show up in two days, but I haven't had stuff take longer than a week yet (even with picking the no-rush).   They're getting to the non-essential when they get to it, which so far hasn't been much longer.   I think they thought stuff was gonna be super insane for them but they've figured it out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

From my experience, not that much longer.  I think they put that disclaimer in there so people don't bitch when their Prime stuff doesn't show up in two days, but I haven't had stuff take longer than a week yet (even with picking the no-rush).   They're getting to the non-essential when they get to it, which so far hasn't been much longer.   I think they thought stuff was gonna be super insane for them but they've figured it out.

That's been my experience in the Cleveland area.  I just ordered a PS2 mouse for a windows 95 PC. It will be here Tuesday.  Our last order of non-essentials was ordered Saturday and arrived Monday.

• Like 2

So US growth seems to be steady between 30k-34k per day. Anyone think this is an actual slowing of the exponential or that it's a result of limited testing. 

For example, if there's a 1/5 chance someone who's sick enough to get a test has it and the US capacity is 150k tests per day, then it'll always be around 35k new cases. With an n this large, will we see a statistic probably emerge?

Just got back from my first pre-order grocery pickup. Pictured: 4x vodka, gypsy tea, feta cheese, egg whites, peas & carrots, ground beef, salami, hot dogs, freezer bags (quart), cling wrap.

Not pictured (out of stock): corn tortillas, echinacea tea, eggs, broccoli, spinach, baking soda, sliced roast beef, freezer bags (gallon). 

8BD942BB-7631-4929-8304-76FBF449B5B0.jpeg

Edited by Link
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Strangest said:

My guess is lack of testing. I’d guess that just based on the fact that the tests are so limited and how poorly we’re handling it here in the US.

Think about it. If we test 300k a day, it would take 1000+ days to test the entire country. See the current testing rate I suspect it 150k a day, it would take 6 years to test the US. 

The logistics to effectively test the entire country on demand is unreal. It would need to be basically a diabetes test. 

12 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

So US growth seems to be steady between 30k-34k per day. Anyone think this is an actual slowing of the exponential or that it's a result of limited testing. 

For example, if there's a 1/5 chance someone who's sick enough to get a test has it and the US capacity is 150k tests per day, then it'll always be around 35k new cases. With an n this large, will we see a statistic probably emerge?

Almost certainly testing limitations.

Here in Ohio our state has done a great job slowing this thing down, but the dam is going to break soon because of how many other states are out of control.  I would honestly be shocked if people are back to work before June, optimistically things will be back to normal by July 1st.  Don't go to the store if you don't need to, and stay safe.  We are getting slaughtered in healthcare.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Anyone ever watch Chernobyl? That's what it feels like going out and about right now.

It really kinda does, doesn't it. It's fuckin crazy. 

Re: I only did 2 episodes of it. Everyone being super British kinda took me out of it. Like I didn't want them to be like Boris and Natasha caricatures of Russians, but when you see British TV actors whom you've seen on other shows seeming not much different from their normal work, it kinda throws it off. I was basically expecting the first cases of radiation poison to be dismissed as a case of the collywobbles.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:24 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

The logistics to effectively test the entire country on demand is unreal. It would need to be basically a diabetes test. 

I posted an article that touched on potential testing requirements in the other thread.

3 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Wow, makes sense, maybe a good thing?  Do rats serve a purpose in the chain?

Well they get rid of various detritus and serve as a food source for various predators.   But they are a disease vector and they destroy/contaminate  lots of food - especially in lesser developed countries. 

--------------------------

Just got back from the grocery store - during this whole fiasco it has been hard to get club soda (which Mrs. Tabonga is supposed to drink as a mineral supplement to a medical condition) - for some reason people grab that right after they loot the tp aisle - we did find the last six bottles at the third grocery store we went to.   It is kind of odd some of the things that are in short supply.