IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

21 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Wear masks, homemade or otherwise. Just wear something to cover your face. Everyone should be doing it sick or not bc with a 2-14 day incubation period, everyone should just assume they're sick and cover their damn face. 

Yeah, that is the big takeaway.  From the beginning we should have all gone full-blown-Asian-traveler and worn masks in public 100% of the time.

Much better potential to keep the asymptomatic carriers from spreading it to others when they breathe out.

1 hour ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

The power is currently out and it’s quarter end. I might have to go into the office. 😷

Edit: It’s back! Thankfully it was only an hour and a half.

WEN is running a deal on generators (found via slickdeals).

We need them rarely enough (even for all the storms/floods we get) that I've never bothered.

But $400 for a super-quiet/low-maintenance generator to run the freezer and fridge, and charge video devices for the kids, seems like pretty reasonable sanity-insurance before we get into hurricane season.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Thanks 1

My Dad bought me the Home Depot masks back in early February, at first I thought I'd never need it, but now I'm glad I did. Got out of work early today (where I'm basically isolated and no need for mask) and went to grocery shop with the mask for the first time, there is now a bouncer at the door, one entrance, and a limit of only 136 people allowed inside now. I had to stand in line for about 10 minutes and the lot wasn't even that full, I'm sure it's gonna start getting crazy. I hear Walmart might soon do the same. Probably about 30% of people wearing facemasks now and hardly saw anyone elderly in the store. The most alarming thing I saw was driving past a local credit union and the drive-thru line was about 5 times longer than it usually is, backing out all the way into the main rotary to town. I'd never seen it come anywhere close to that length. Usually I only buy about $20 worth of groceries at a time and go multiple times per week, but this time I finally changed my ways and got about $80 worth of stuff.

It sounds like Vermont is fully shutting off its borders to all neighboring states. Monitoring everyone in or out. If you are out of state and want in, they are automatically quarantining you two weeks. I'm worried about my Dad who lives alone in Vermont and will not be able to shop in New Hampshire now, which cuts out a huge chunk of the available stores for them, including the grocery stores who do orders and pickups. Vermont is pretty isolated when it comes to retail. I believe it's the only state that still doesn't have a Walmart store. If something happens to my Dad, I can't even do anything about it. Quite a few people in that situation right now. I have a friend whose Mom just died a few days ago (of something else I assume) and they couldn't do anything about it or be there for her.

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Skorp said:

Stay at home issued now to May 20th here. Just a few days ago it was May 4. Looking like June will be next. =/

They're absolutely gonna one month at a time it. It makes sense both because they don't know 100% - it's an ongoing and very new thing we're all dealing with, we have to go step by step. But also because if they come out now and say "We want you all to stay indoors as much as possible until next January" people will flip their shit.

26 minutes ago, Gloves said:

They're absolutely gonna one month at a time it. It makes sense both because they don't know 100% - it's an ongoing and very new thing we're all dealing with, we have to go step by step. But also because if they come out now and say "We want you all to stay indoors as much as possible until next January" people will flip their shit.

I wonder if the rate of domestic violence is going to increase as people are cooped up together for an increasingly lengthy amount of time - especially if they can fuel things with alcohol and dope (no offense to Richardhead since I know he works in a liquor store) that are considered essential.

I also haven't been able* to find a source that compares  rates of infection (however inherently unreliable those are) and fatality rates between states that have shelter in place edicts and those that don't.  I would think that those without shelter in place should be having demonstrably  higher rates by now  if the idea is efficacious.

*I haven't looked very hard yet though,

Edited by Tabonga

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I wonder if the rate of domestic violence is going to increase as people are cooped up together for an increasingly lengthy amount of time - especially if they can fuel things with alcohol and dope (no offense to Richardhead since I know he works in a liquor store) that are considered essential.

I also haven't been able to find a source that measures rates of infection (however inherently unreliable those are) and fatality rates between states that have shelter in place edicts and those that don't.  I would think that those without shelter in place should be have demonstrably  higher rates by now  if the idea is efficacious.

Have to keep in mind too though that having a shelter in place order, and the people following that order, are unfortunately two different things.

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Have to keep in mind too though that having a shelter in place order, and the people following that order, are unfortunately two different things.

If you have far far fewer places to go that is going to naturally limit interactions.  So they would perforce be diminished even if not everyone plays along and evades things in whatever manner.  

Edited by Tabonga

21 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

If you have far far fewer places to go that is going to naturally limit interactions.  So they would perforce be diminished even if not everyone plays along and evades things in whatever manner.  

Or...you have far fewer places to go, so more people end up at those places than would typically be there, increasing density in those places from people not following instructions...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I also haven't been able* to find a source that compares  rates of infection (however inherently unreliable those are) and fatality rates between states that have shelter in place edicts and those that don't.  I would think that those without shelter in place should be having demonstrably  higher rates by now  if the idea is efficacious.

*I haven't looked very hard yet though,

Well, the suicide rate is going to tick up.  (already in evidence at the Air Force Academy)

18 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Or...you have far fewer places to go, so more people end up at those places than would typically be there, increasing density in those places from people not following instructions...

Depends on how many people feel a compulsive  need to go somewhere just to go somewhere.  In terms of "essential" stores the number of those should be relatively stable (in comparison to before) - people may wind up going to the grocery store* slightly more since they are less likely to go out for their food now (or go out while normally they would be eating while  working).  And maybe the large stores such as Target, Kmart and Walmart might see a slight up tick as some people go to get things (such as clothing) there that they would normally go elsewhere for.   

But I am willing to bet that overall the number of interactions (however you count them) has dropped drastically in those areas with shelter in place.

*Or go more often to scavenge for scarce things,

Edited by Tabonga

28 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Welp, guess I’m making a mask tonight.

PUT THE MASK ON NOW!!

This is actually an interesting 3D movie that was made in Canada in 1961.  (It was the first Canadian horror movie ever made.)

The movie is largely forgettable except for the excellent (almost psychedelic) 3d portions are what make the movie.  During the movie when the lead actor put on "The Mask" a voice would come on that said "Put the mask on now" - at which point the audience would put on their Magic Mystic Glasses to see the 3d effect.  I have a copy on laserdisc complete with 4 pairs of glasses - I think it has been released on DVD and BlueRay also.

download (22).jpeg

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I keep seeing people complaining that their rights have been taken away because they can’t go and browse Walmart or Gamestop aimlessly and endanger lives. I wonder if that argument works for them when they get pulled over for driving drunk too?

So you are saying any given person going outside their home is now as dangerous as driving while intoxicated?

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

Minneapolis yesterday closed all outdoor pools, beaches and waterparks through August 31st.

I can't nor will support the notion that Masks actually help anything more then what every other precautionary measure/instruction (i.e. social distancing, washing/sanitizing your hands regularly, not touching your face, etc) already do. If you are sick or have came in contact with someone who is and suspect you may be carrying, then just stay the fuck at home. I get that people still may or will need to go out and get things, but at this current time it should be easy enough to contact someone who would be willing to go out and do it for you given the circumstances... leave the masks for those who need them.

54 minutes ago, B.A. said:

So you are saying any given person going outside their home is now as dangerous as driving while intoxicated?

Well they (and myself) have to at least go to the grocery store sometimes right?  Though you may end up making man's REAL best friend very sad 😞 

39 minutes ago, Jfreakofkorn said:

So what is the current status of of infected and deaths so far with this virus in the US ? What state(s) has the most infected at the moment ( knowing that this change(s) daily ) ?

https://ncov2019.live/data

New York has the most cases, more than three times as many as the next state (New Jersey.)

Edited by Tulpa

Events Helper · Posted
47 minutes ago, Jfreakofkorn said:

So what is the current status of of infected and deaths so far with this virus in the US ? What state(s) has the most infected at the moment ( knowing that this change(s) daily ) ?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

I use this to check from time to time!

4 hours ago, B.A. said:

No, that’s a misconstrued interpretation of the point I’m making. Any person who goes out in public, is around others, etc. is carrying the risk of spreading a virus that kills people. That’s why people are being asked to stay home. 

People are bitching because they want to go out and do nonessential things, whining that the constitution of the United States says they can’t be stopped just because the police believe them to be endangering the public, because “muh rights.”

• Like 2