IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

On 4/13/2020 at 12:53 PM, Richardhead said:

Most liquor stores will have club soda if you can’t get any at the grocery store.

That can depend on what state you're in, as until a couple of years ago, liquor stores in Tennessee weren't able to carry anything below a certain volume alcohol, even mixers.  After a new law was passed (which also allowed grocery stores to carry Wine as well as beer), that restriction was eased (allowing the local liquor stores to keep all sorts of mixers, soda, etc., on hand), but something similar could still be in effect in other places.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

That can depend on what state you're in, as until a couple of years ago, liquor stores in Tennessee weren't able to carry anything below a certain volume alcohol, even mixers.  After a new law was passed (which also allowed grocery stores to carry Wine as well as beer), that restriction was eased (allowing the local liquor stores to keep all sorts of mixers, soda, etc., on hand), but something similar could still be in effect in other places.

I think both Richardhead and Tabonga are in the same state, with the former working in a liquor store.

But that is odd that one in any state wouldn't carry mixers.   That's about as asinine as New Jersey liquor laws.

Using various approximations of the death rate, I calculated some total case #'s as of APRIL 14THS CDC #s in the US.

4% death rate = 653,100 cases

3% death rate = 870,800 cases

2% death rate = 1,306,200 cases

1% death rate = 2,612,400 cases

0.66% death rate = 3,958,181 cases

The last % was from a decently reputable, unpublished, article. Either way, testing is so low that confirmed cases don't really help us have an idea as to what is actually happening in regard to the rate of infection. 

14 minutes ago, cartman said:

Is this like universal basic income?

They prefer to call it a "stimulus check".

Remains to be seen whether it is a one-off or if they'll do another round of checks.

The federal boost to unemployment is a lot closer to UBI, in that they're paying out something like $600/week on top of normal unemployment payments.

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

They prefer to call it a "stimulus check".

Remains to be seen whether it is a one-off or if they'll do another round of checks.

The federal boost to unemployment is a lot closer to UBI, in that they're paying out something like $600/week on top of normal unemployment payments.

So every employed American will gets this deposit? How much is it?

Events Helper · Posted

1200 but you have to meet certain income criteria.  If you make too much you get nothing.  It is all on the irs.gov website.  Long story short, you get 1200 if you make less than "x" amount and it decreases after that amount by "y" increment per "z" dollars.  If you don't make enough and didn't file taxes you can get money by applying on the website.  Then there is the 500 for each qualifying child per household.

Edited by Jeevan

8 minutes ago, cartman said:

So every employed American will gets this deposit? How much is it?

1200 for individuals, 2400 for married couples, plus 500 per kid.

Phases out between 75k and something like 95k AGI for individuals, double that for couples. (Payment decrements every 1000 above the first threshold)

Would have made more sense to just pay 1000 to every social security number and do away with phase outs, because college kids are all screwed by the current arrangement, since even most working college kids are probably tax dependents of their parents, and the 18-24 age group of dependents are excluded and get nothing.

26 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

1200 for individuals, 2400 for married couples, plus 500 per kid.

Phases out between 75k and something like 95k AGI for individuals, double that for couples. (Payment decrements every 1000 above the first threshold)

Would have made more sense to just pay 1000 to every social security number and do away with phase outs, because college kids are all screwed by the current arrangement, since even most working college kids are probably tax dependents of their parents, and the 18-24 age group of dependents are excluded and get nothing.

1200 isn't all that much really it's gone pretty fast

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, cartman said:

1200 isn't all that much really it's gone pretty fast

Ya, agreed.  Really doesn't go far, but with the way that everyone is "pledging" not to shut off power/gas/cable/cell phones, it can come in handy when you need food or other essentials.  Fortunately right now, I am still employed, so I don't need the money.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

My brother “got his” only he didn’t...

His bank account that it was automatically deposited to has been closed and now his money is in limbo.

Lord knows what kind of red tape that money is behind now.

I doubt it is that big of a deal, beyond contacting the bank and having them send him a check or ACH'ing to a new account.

In this state the 1200 goes a ways, and when it's x2 and +500, while I'm still working...with only one small lost income of basically 600 take home a month anyway, that's like 4+mo worth of pay there.  But yeah, you live in the coastal areas it'll be chump change.  If this garbage continues beyond the middle of summer they'll end up doing it again because if anything no politician wants to get voted out in November when they've mandated in peoples minds their loss of a job, a home, a car, a living way of life.

I went to get some food today, my usual store was light on eggs, tp/paper towels and rice.  Other staples were moderate to solid which by that I mean milk, butter, canned goods, breads and the sort.  I guess around that store either they're well stocking that Kroger or people are being less asinine in the face of no actual shortages finally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Consider someone getting paid $7.50/hr. That's $300 a week and $1260 for 4.2 weeks which is about a month. 

Mine having a disability gets $15/hr about, but only works 15 hours-ish, so she'll bring in 150/wk that's where my math came from.

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

No.  People with cats are told to consume them, to help lighten the load on meat supply chains.

Elsadou-10cm-Troll-Doll-Leprocauns-Dam-d

PS: I know normally you're not supposed to "feed the trolls" but I just couldn't resist...

Edited by Estil

4 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

My brother “got his” only he didn’t...

His bank account that it was automatically deposited to has been closed and now his money is in limbo.

Lord knows what kind of red tape that money is behind now.

Funny thing, my brother in law has this same issue so he’s been trying to figure out what the deal is all day.  This came up.

31AE7430-C9AA-4FE0-9BC4-BCAED52EAE28.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Mine having a disability gets $15/hr about, but only works 15 hours-ish, so she'll bring in 150/wk that's where my math came from.

That makes sense. 1200 goes a long way around me too but 20 miles to the South or to the west it goes about half as far. That's the thing about the US, the standard of living and vary so much from county to county. I'm lucky enough to live in a cheap county and work in a rich one. 

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

There’s also the legislation that excused payments on student loans held by the Dept of Ed. As someone with that kind of debt and enrolled in the public service loan forgiveness program and on income-based repayment, the idea of that kind of relief is appealing but I’m hesitant to make use of it because even though they say I’ll get credit for those months either way, I’m afraid that when I finally hit the ten-year mark down the line they’ll say these were missed payments and that I’m not eligible for forgiveness.