IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Maybe in Changhua it's different, but from my understanding, this is what happens in Taichung:

For kindergartens and primary schools / buxibans, if a class has one person with the virus, that class all gets sent home for ten days quarentine, even gotta do a PCR test.

If two kids in the school (i.e. different classes) get it,the whole school shuts down for ten days, does quarentine, PCR test, etc.

Repeat, etc.

I wouldn't mind one day, but ten days a pop is gonna add up fast, especially when the government is encouraging it to spread by telling people just to get on with life.

Well this is a part of my confusion, because I'm hearing different things from different sources. My understanding currently is that if we had a case here we need to be closed for a day to do tests etc. and we can reopen the following day.

But, fact is, we have hundreds of kids here, there is BOUND to be a case here sooner or later, so I have no idea how it's all going to play out when it really happens.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Well this is a part of my confusion, because I'm hearing different things from different sources. My understanding currently is that if we had a case here we need to be closed for a day to do tests etc. and we can reopen the following day.

But, fact is, we have hundreds of kids here, there is BOUND to be a case here sooner or later, so I have no idea how it's all going to play out when it really happens.

I hate to say it, but I like your version of what's happening much, much better than the version I'm hearing.

Do you have any sources?

26 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I hate to say it, but I like your version of what's happening much, much better than the version I'm hearing.

Do you have any sources?

Serena is updating me on the situation, so I'm not sure on where exactly she's getting it from, but we have been discussing the situation extensively of course, and this is what we are working with at the moment.

Several of our students are already staying home out of fear of the virus, even with no actual lockdown in place, so we're already losing some revenue. But, I think most of our parents realise that this is kinda it now, like we've kinda reached the end of zero case strategy, so I am hoping we won't see too many more drop out. If we DO see many more drop outs, we will have to go online again, but I am REALLY hoping we don't have to do that again.

So yeah, I will let you know if I start hearing anything different, or if we actually DO have to close the school or whatever.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Typing on my phone, bud. I like nailing people over spelling mistakes, grammar, and tone issues with word choice just as much as the next person, but honestly this isn't the time or place for it.

I was legitimately wondering if it was something like the UK uses organisation, but in the US it's organization. It's ok though, it was your phone.

image.png.ff0a43d4aedb69261c659828a4f4cece.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

I was legitimately wondering if it was something like the UK uses organisation, but in the US it's organization. It's ok though, it was your phone.

image.png.ff0a43d4aedb69261c659828a4f4cece.png

Okay my mistake, and also my apologies. It's been a really stressful time here recently, as you might have picked up.

This new wave of the virus is kicking the shit out of us here at the school! Unlike last time, where the school was fully closed, this time there is no full lockdown. However, in addition to parents straight up taking their kids out of school for fear of the virus, local primary schools have been closing down as soon as they get confirmed cases, and so we have to keep kids from those particular school from coming in, for like 10 days at least.

So basically, we are running classes as usual, but with multiple students missing from each class every day. We are going to do our best to provide make-up classes for most of these kids, but keeping track of who has missed what class, and who is taking a month off and which schools are going dark next is a complete fucking nightmare.

I almost think it may be better for us to close up and take the whole school online again, rather than trying to juggle a bunch of swiss-cheese classes, but that begs the question, if we did that, when would we come back again? The virus is here now, it is rampant and spreading completely unchecked. If we go online, its not like last time where we were open again two/three months later, this is the state of things now. 😩

So, I believe keeping the school open for as long as possible is the only solution, but goddamn if we didn't need THIS fucking headache to deal with. I can't even use the time of tighter margins and trimmed revenues to tighten my own belt and loose weight, because I need to drink more just to cope with the added work and stress! 😖

Just gotta pray that people realise this virus is here to stay now, get all the fucking kids vacc'd as soon as damn possible, and get all the regular schools reopened and staying open so that we stop bleeding bloody students!!!!!! 🤯

• Sad 2

I am really getting pissed off with the government over here. We're taking a beating too, and I never know if I'll be forced into house arrest for a few days, unpaid of course.

Taiwan hasn't even started vaccinating kids yet (they'll start in May), but I am sure many parents will drag their feet getting the kids vaxxed. I just walked into a class today, half the kids are at home under the "quarentine" just because two students in a whole elementary school had "covid-19", which could be severe, or could be asymptomatic or sniffles. Sick until proven healthy.

What really pisses me off is this though. I'm for safety and protecting the vulnerable...but:

Here's an example of an average Taiwanense with covid-19. Went to KTV several times, went to IKEA, even went to fucking TGIF for a steak dinner. If the situation I'd truly so dangerous, people would be staying in, but they aren't. They don't care anymore as most people aren't getting sick, and their industries aren't hurt. 

Unless the Taiwanense change their thinking, the situation here will not improve for educators and their livelihoods.

IMG_20220428_153316.jpg

IMG_20220428_153257.jpg

IMG_20220428_153217.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My luck ran out, covid finally got to me. One of my band members, could have been me or any of the others, must have brought it to band practice because we practiced Friday and 3/4 of us had symptoms by Sunday and tested positive by Monday. The last 36 hours have been a miserable hell but I'm feeling a lot better today.

• Sad 5

Administrator · Posted
19 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

My luck ran out, covid finally got to me. One of my band members, could have been me or any of the others, must have brought it to band practice because we practiced Friday and 3/4 of us had symptoms by Sunday and tested positive by Monday. The last 36 hours have been a miserable hell but I'm feeling a lot better today.

Feel better, bud.

• Like 2

Got the omicron booster today. first shot sauce March 21. 

Edit/Update: I read some studies suggesting mild to moderate exercise after vaccines increase antibody longevity and may reduce side effects. The one study had subject ride a stationary bike for 90 mins after a flu or covid vax. So I went for a 2 mile walk (about 40 mins) a couple hours after my shot and had real side effects outside of a sore arm and being tired.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 2