IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Interesting.

Day 1  - runny nose

Day 2 - runny nose, little sleep, low appetite

Day 3 - cough, sneeze, swollen lymph nodes, little sleep, little food, massive headache 

Day 4 - cough, sneeze, less swollen lymph nodes, little sleep, little food, smaller headache

Day 5 - threw up all food bloated. Other symptoms declining.

Day 6 - Stomach tentative, can eat.

Day 7 - clearing phlegm, still get tired easily

Day 8 - clearing phlegmn

Edited by Californication
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Californication said:

Interesting.

Day 1  - runny nose

Day 2 - runny nose, little sleep, low appetite

Day 3 - cough, sneeze, swollen lymph nodes, little sleep, little food, massive headache 

Day 4 - cough, sneeze, less swollen lymph nodes, little sleep, little food, smaller headache

Day 5 - threw up all food bloated. Other symptoms declining.

Day 6 - Stomach tentative, can eat.

Day 7 - clearing phlegm, still get tired easily

Day 8 - clearing phlegmn

That sucks. Do you know which variant you got? 

Social Team · Posted
15 hours ago, doner24 said:

Finally got my booster on Wednesday and man did it kick my ass. 24 hours of crazy chills and aches. Kept me up all night shaking, no matter how many blankets or clothes I put on. Even got me to take a pill (advil) for the first time in years. I have never had a reaction like this to any shot, much less the first 2 Pfizer shots I had. Was about 100x worse than when I actually got Covid in late 2020. 

Just think how bad things could of been if you got a full on COVID instead of a booster shot.  People's immune systems have ups and downs so maybe that is why this time was different for you.  When I feel great and well rest I feel like colds barely affect me, don't even miss work.  But if I'm stressed and getting little sleep, colds will put me out for 48 hours.

CDC data out on omicron

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e2.htm

Unvaxxed was 725.6 infections per 100K
Fully Vaccinated was 254.8 infections per 100K
Vaxxed and Boosted was 148.8 infections per 100K

The rhetoric that vaccines do nothing is not backed by recent data. It seems more like success bias ( omicron successfully broke through therefore vaccine was ineffective). I think it also speaks to the shear volume of people getting COVID right now.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Moderator · Posted
8 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Just think how bad things could of been if you got a full on COVID instead of a booster shot.  People's immune systems have ups and downs so maybe that is why this time was different for you.  When I feel great and well rest I feel like colds barely affect me, don't even miss work.  But if I'm stressed and getting little sleep, colds will put me out for 48 hours.

I previously had full on Covid and it was about 100 times less than this. 

So, I'm a day late, but I do have an update.

In regard to my son, if anything, he was more rambunctious the day after his shot, attended his cousin's birthday party, and was lively enough to get pissed off and throw a controller (presumably when the two older boys began bullying him, which usually only I catch or care about, but I wasn't present this time).  He was calm by the time he got home and accepted being put into "quiet time" with his tablet for the rest of the evening, but didn't complain of or display any symptoms.  As of this morning, he only told me that a bit of his arm had started hurting today when he woke up (in his armpit, presumably lymph nodes, which makes sense) when I specifically asked him, so it can't possibly be too bad.

As for me, I had a bit more of a wild ride, but I honestly think it was much the same as my experience with my second shot, although a lot less intense.  This time around I got my shot fairly late in the afternoon versus early in the morning, so that was about 12 hours time shifted, then after being a night owl and not really being able to settle down to proper sleep until ~4AM Friday night/Saturday morning, my son decided that since his cousin's birthday party was at 1:00 PM, he should wake up everybody else in the house BEFORE 9:00 AM.  I woke up cranky, partially due to lack of allowed sleep as well as just feeling bad in general.  Right before I'd gone to sleep, I noticed that my eyes had a slightly pinkish hue when passing the bathroom mirror and also felt kind of dry and scratchy, with a slight ache.  Upon hitting the head in the morning, my eyes looked totally fine, felt normal when moved, no longer had a slight ache, and had not produced any discharge, so my worries about somehow having picked up pinkeye were abated and the symptoms signed off as something having to do with my immune system dealing with this latest Covid vaccine.

Feeling a bit off, I hunted up the IR thermometer and confirmed that I was running about a half a degree fever right after waking up, and then up to a degree or just past a degree fever throughout the conscious parts of my day.  Unlike the previous day, at least 50% of my nose was totally clear when I woke up, although the longer I was awake, the more that tended to fluctuate, whether I blew my nose to try to clear it or not.  I settled in under a blanket, threw something I wasn't terribly invested in on the tube (Umbrella Academy season 2, for the curious--ultimately ok by the end, but I can take it or leave it), and vaguely paid attention to what was going on while hoping to be able to go back to sleep and miss out on the worst parts of the experience (as I mostly had the last time).  The upper part of the injection arm was noticeably sore without being touched, and really sore when bumped into by my daughter, but beyond that no more aches or pains than usual.  I didn't really get the chills the way I had the first time, although I did notice (with this being winter and all, and our house not being 100% airtight against the occasional small draft) that I would have pretty immediate chills when I got up and hit any cold air (lessened when I put on socks), but those went away pretty much immediately after returning to the cover of my blanket.

I was alerted as to when the birthday party was, then that everyone needed to get ready, then I think my wife realized that I really did feel bad and stopped including me in the announcements/orders to prepare to get out the door.  After everybody left, I fixed myself some hot dogs for lunch, then watched about half of the original Stargate movie before feeling like I could drift back off, and thew another blanket over my torso and around my shoulders, which caused enough heat to collect to knock me out.  My brain clicked on and off a few times over the next few hours (the family getting home, my son being in trouble for throwing a controller at the party and being told the other two kids played innocent and ignored him, my daughter being told it was tablet time for her too and to leave me alone), but I mostly slept from probably around 1:00 PM until the early evening.  I remember waking up to use the bathroom at some point and looking at Discord for long enough to realize that it was game night, telling my wife later on that I'd (re)discovered this fact, hearing a ding from my phone with a message asking if I was going to get on for game night or not, then finally starting to come to complete consciousness sometime around 7:00-7:30 PM or so, primarily because I had become ridiculously hot under my blankets.

I was still running about a degree fever at that point, but was feeling a lot less "blah" and wrung out as I had previously.  I still got chills from being blasted with cold, but no aches or pains outside of my arm, which was lessened outside of directly poking the injection site.  I also discovered that it appeared that someone, at sometime, had turned the HVAC system up to 75F, and that was most likely part of the reason why I felt like I was being roasted alive in my living room.  I'm basically only able to mummy-wrap myself in blankets properly when I'm actually conscious and aware, and woke up still wrapped up, so I don't believe there's any way that I could have done it, and the wife denies ever having touched the controls since it was installed, so who knows?  The last I recall adjusting it was to push the low temperature up to around 71F on one of the coldest nights we'd had (single digits, fairly certain it snowed, lots of wind to the point that I ran duct tape over where the sliding doors meet to keep the cold out), but who knows?  I quickly turned the system down 5-6 degrees, and the system switched from heating to cooling immediately, then shut off after a few minutes (apparently having hit within the 3 degree window between lowest and highest emperature in settings).

While I didn't really feel up to playing any games or getting into anything too intense or interactive, I felt better enough to actually pay attention to the TV (finishing out the show I'd begun watching early in the day), fix myself a sandwich, and manage to go from a degree fever, to half a degree fever, to no fever over the course of the three hours or so from 8:00 to 11:00 PM.  I can't remember what it was that was on, but my daughter stuck around with me to watch TV, then ended up crashing out about 30-60 minutes before I did (around 11).  At the end of the night I felt a little dried out (most likely due to the cold that had beat on my sinuses for the past 2-3 days, regardless of how much I drank), but overall fine, and ended up going to sleep at a fairly reasonable hour for me.  I got wakened up sometime in the night (if I checked my phone for the time, I don't recall what it was, but it was late, with no hint of light outside) by my daughter fussing and crying in her sleep.  I cuddled her up to me and got her to calm down, then stretch back out again, after which she started fussing and crying again, and finally agreed to go stretch out in her own bed, at which point she properly went to sleep again and stopped trying to wake up all of the neighbors at who knows what hour and allowed me to sack back out.

Waking up this morning, beyond having a bit of a "fuzzy" head, I feel perfectly normal save a bit of an ache in my armpit, right underneath the injection site, which isn't a huge surprise.  The ache comes and goes, so I imagine it's just the ebb and flow of the lymph nodes in that area doing their job.  No fever this morning, eyes feel fine, and everything pretty much back to normal.  Not even any chills when my feet get blasted by the cold draft that always manages to creep out somewhere under the front door.  All in all, intellectually, I'd equate this to a lesser version of my experience with the second vaccine dose, just time shifted so I actually experienced many more parts of this one versus sleeping through the majority of it as I originally had.  I'm not sure if it helped or not, but I did make sure that both my son and I had hydrated before going in to get our shots, as recommended, then continuing to do so through the evening.  Based on how I felt when I was awake with the booster, I have a feeling that it's advised the way it is because I often didn't really feel like going after my drink, even when I was thirsty.

Sorry for once again throwing out a wall of text, but I figured I'd throw out all my thoughts and observations about having gotten and gone through the Moderna booster (and observed the Pfizer pediatric vaccine first dose) in case anyone wanted or needed to see some first hand accounts before going in to get theirs.  It's definitely worth it given what can happen without it, and is far from the most unpleasant thing that I've experienced--it's more inconvenient than anything, more akin to those days when we'd be home from school as kids watching The Price Is Right on TV in the middle of the day, but spacing out and napping throughout the day because we were actually sick versus just wanting to stay home and conveniently having enough of a cold to do so (don't ask me how I know about the latter, lol).

• Thanks 1

Hopefully last update.  The lymph nodes under the injection site arm remained sore and mildly painful even while I was going to sleep.  This morning, the dull, off and on, sometimes pulsating ache was gone, although the area is still swollen and tender when touched/palpated.  I still feel the weird bump under my arm when it's down, but it's basically just a bit of pressure from the lymph node itself and the feeling from the skin in my armpit of touching something that's not normally there.  It's not as much as it was yesterday, so if all goes as it did overnight, I imagine things will end up feeling 100% normal (even if there's still some undetectable interior swelling) by tomorrow.  FYI.

4 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Hopefully last update.  The lymph nodes under the injection site arm remained sore and mildly painful even while I was going to sleep.  This morning, the dull, off and on, sometimes pulsating ache was gone, although the area is still swollen and tender when touched/palpated.  I still feel the weird bump under my arm when it's down, but it's basically just a bit of pressure from the lymph node itself and the feeling from the skin in my armpit of touching something that's not normally there.  It's not as much as it was yesterday, so if all goes as it did overnight, I imagine things will end up feeling 100% normal (even if there's still some undetectable interior swelling) by tomorrow.  FYI.

That was how it was for me when I got Moderna shot #1. I mean if @OptOut is tough enough to sacrifice his balls for the greater good, getting my shots is the least I can do.

Plus the upside of having a sore arm tends to me less work and more TV/video game time!!! 😉

2 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I want this to pandemic to be over. 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From what I've seen going on locally, it's out, the pandemic is basically over.

Local governments don't want to say this though, as midterms are coming up and they don't want to be responsible for someone's grandma dying; similarly though, Chinese New Year is basically here so they are trying to keep things open. Have your cake and eat it too.

This demonstrates to me that at this point the rules and restrictions have little to do with safety and the best interests of the population. 

The genie is out of the bottle, it's over, though the media is trying their hardest to say otherwise.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I'm with fcgamer on that one, it's about the same here and has been well into last year.  Even if the numbers for infection are up perhaps, deaths, and in particular tied to the current rager are very low, especially in the case of someone who didn't have a pre-existing issue that compounded it.  Short of places playing the fear, woke, whatever you want to call it card they've not required the masks for a long time now, just warning signs about it being your choice if you haven't had shots.  And that's the reality of it, you choose at this rate largely.  The politicians are over it, and this state currently is split with a democrat governor who saw when it back off and it worked well enough when looking at the info when it's broken into variables of life, death, had shot or not, had issues or not, etc.  It's mostly just a media thing, a control thing really now, probably in 2023 it'll fade after people get elected or tossed out in November.

• Agree 1

Ya, that seems to be the new talking point from conservatives to go back to waiting for herd immunity.

Govt. may have mostly given up, but there were 440K new infections yesterday, 2,600 new deaths. I'd hardly call that media hype and certainly wouldn't say the pandemic is over.

And again, part of the reason we need control is because unvaccinated people are filling the hospitals and people are dying from preventable illess because of them.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

I'm hardly playing a conservative talking point, largely given up listen to politician bullshit from either side on the matter as it's boring.  Yeah so, that make were infected vs dead...and? Yup I sound cold, but I just really don't care anymore and I'm over hearing others try and play the fear card.  Its very well hype, and disinformation too depending how all goes between whatever outlet you grab.  The whole mess just sickens me.

On 1/22/2022 at 7:43 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

CDC data out on omicron

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e2.htm

Unvaxxed was 725.6 infections per 100K
Fully Vaccinated was 254.8 infections per 100K
Vaxxed and Boosted was 148.8 infections per 100K

The rhetoric that vaccines do nothing is not backed by recent data. It seems more like success bias ( omicron successfully broke through therefore vaccine was ineffective). I think it also speaks to the shear volume of people getting COVID right now.

Well it certainly can't hurt!  I mean I'd pee on a spark plug or jump up and down shouting "Woo-ba!  Woo-ba!  Woo-ba!" if I thought it'd help any 😄 

PS: Good thing she also had her monitor on too...as you have to have both.

Edited by Estil

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I'm hardly playing a conservative talking point, largely given up listen to politician bullshit from either side on the matter as it's boring.  Yeah so, that make were infected vs dead...and? Yup I sound cold, but I just really don't care anymore and I'm over hearing others try and play the fear card.  Its very well hype, and disinformation too depending how all goes between whatever outlet you grab.  The whole mess just sickens me.

3,000 people died yesterday, the highest number since Feb. 2020 not sure how the fact that corona virus is still dangerous is hype.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I'm hardly playing a conservative talking point,

😂😂😂😂😂 Cmon Bro really? You straight up think fox news is fair an balanced, even with batromo and watters filling out the morning line up. 

You regularly regurgitate 100% disproven fake news, especially about Fauci. Blaming the media for things constantly seals the deal.  

• Like 1

I got it at work i'm pretty sure.  Even with my n95 mask thing.  I dont need my booster yet cuz my last shot was mid oct.  I thought it was a sinus infection.  Aside from a 2 day fever, it wasn't much for me at all.  Get vaxxed, take precautions but don't be afraid.  If you don't want the vax and get it and it fucks your stuff up, I have no sympathy for you.  Eventually we'll have herd immunity from the people vaxxed up when the unvaxxed die off from it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2