IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

@darkchylde28 Right now, probably, but it would take work.  My suggestion as it could get heavy would be to do a google search indexing youtube videos for Joy Reid, Jemele Hill, last month the judge banning MSNBC from the courtroom, ceding control to the DNC in the 2020 election run up on editorial content, singling out and silencing Andrew Yang in the debates compared to other candidates, clearly screwing Bernie in the 2016 coverage favoring Clinton, Brian Williams utterly made up news stories, 2 months ago they were defending that crank Stacy Abrams (GA) of stolen election garbage no other network would touch.

This gem is from politico in 2013 but it hits both them and Fox as far as opinion vs news vs bs goes and pegs them as bad, generally worse than Fox and fox being fairly even to CNN on their splits...and they've ratcheted it up since. https://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/12/is-msnbc-worse-than-fox-news-179175

Basically my stand on this is that MSNBC are shit peddlers like 80-90% of the time, while Fox and CNN seem to sorta middle the road on shit peddling somewhere in a 40-60/60-40 split I guess depending how you feel about things.

Speaking of those two, all the credit in the world goes to CNN, as loathe as I am to put up with that channel more often than not depending if it's like an election year, they're astoundingly excellent when it comes to things you really can't politicize much with the best coverage of the two(fox the other.)  Fox doesn't seem to give a but a minimal shit about covering, science, technology, the space programs(domestic/foreign), and other variety bits which is an utter shame.

Woman wins court battle over treating her husband's COVID-19 with ivermectin. That was just the beginning.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-wins-court-battle-over-170915572.html

She wrote on a website called Caring Bridge, “My faith has wavered this week. I’m up. I’m down. One minute, I’m on my knees with tears streaming down my face. The next, I’m driving Keith’s car, shouting and screaming and ranting till my throat breaks.

“Asking God WHY?”

She wrote, “Will ivermectin save my husband’s life? I don’t know. Maybe not.”

She concluded, “I don’t know what tomorrow holds. I don’t know where God is.”

Things go your way - "GOD IS GREAT!"

Things don't go your way - "God has abandoned us!"

Doctor says to do something - "You're the devil! Give my husband his horse medicine NOW!"

Youre Dumb Kaitlin Olson GIF by The Mick

21 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Woman wins court battle over treating her husband's COVID-19 with ivermectin. That was just the beginning.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-wins-court-battle-over-170915572.html

She wrote on a website called Caring Bridge, “My faith has wavered this week. I’m up. I’m down. One minute, I’m on my knees with tears streaming down my face. The next, I’m driving Keith’s car, shouting and screaming and ranting till my throat breaks.

“Asking God WHY?”

She wrote, “Will ivermectin save my husband’s life? I don’t know. Maybe not.”

She concluded, “I don’t know what tomorrow holds. I don’t know where God is.”

Things go your way - "GOD IS GREAT!"

Things don't go your way - "God has abandoned us!"

Doctor says to do something - "You're the devil! Give my husband his horse medicine NOW!"

Youre Dumb Kaitlin Olson GIF by The Mick

I read an interesting and thorough metastudy that GLOBALLY, taking ivermectin was generally helpful for Covid because, on average, people around the globe are likely to have parasites that make it harder for their bodies to fight covid successfully in the first place.

It was a truly fascinating take on things.

Obviously has no support for taking it if you live in a developed country with safe food and water, which most of the most vocal ivermectin proponents do...

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

I read an interesting and thorough metastudy that GLOBALLY, taking ivermectin was generally helpful for Covid because, on average, people around the globe are likely to have parasites that make it harder for their bodies to fight covid successfully in the first place.

Obviously has no support for taking it if you live in a developed country with safe food and water, which most of the most vocal ivermectin proponents do...

I totally knew what you were going to say before you said it.  This isn't the first time a cure for something was a cure for another thing that was hindering the body from fighting off the thing that it was claimed to fix.  I'm sure MANY people will take that global improvement at face value and not see what the real cause for improvement was.  

I'm getting so dark with Covid any more that the new variant that is come out has got me going....

Stephen Colbert Popcorn GIF

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

34 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I totally knew what you were going to say before you said it.  This isn't the first time a cure for something was a cure for another thing that was hindering the body from fighting off the thing that it was claimed to fix.  I'm sure MANY people will take that global improvement at face value and not see what the real cause for improvement was.  

I'm getting so dark with Covid any more that the new variant that is come out has got me going....

When has it not been a disaster lol

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

The other kind of funny thing, is that if it is true that omicron has "common cold" coronavirus parts, it seems like a nonzero chance that a targeted booster/vaccine may "cure" that class of common colds entirely...

Wife got her booster Tuesday afternoon, it apparently started kicking her ass at the end of her workday Wednesday (yesterday), but luckily she had Thursday (today) off.  She came home, changed into pj's, wrapped up in a blanket, and tried to sack out, all the while dealing with chills under two comforters.  4-5 hours later, after the kids and I had left and gotten back from doing some Christmas shopping and errand running, she was over the hump and just tired and weak but able to eat dinner with us and hang out for a bit.  The next day (today), she totally slept in, but was bright and bushy about midday and went out to run errands of her own without issue or complaint beyond a bit of remaining soreness at the injection site and a mild complaint about her arm itching.

I need to get mine done, and our son has decided he's ok with getting his shot, but we're probably going to wait until next Friday/weekend to get it done since the wife has stuff going on which keeps her away from home Friday and Saturday and I figure it's a bad idea for me to potentially be down for 12-24 hours while being alone and solely responsible for my two little ones.  We've never let up with masks, distancing, hand sanitizer, taking our shoes off at the door, etc., so hopefully we'll remain in the clear until work and business obligations align with the optimal window for us to get our shots.

Our case numbers are going up with 'omicron'. They are slightly tightening restrictions again on Friday. I'm not sure what the end game here is as the vast majority of people are vaccinated, boosters are available, and vaccines for kids under 12 have also been available for a bit now. There is no zero case scenario and our hospitalizations (ICU in particular) are extremely low (currently 2 people in ICU). The change in vaccine rates are insignificant in the overall picture these days. I guess the health authority is concerned about widespread breakout and mutation, but again, if these restrictions don't end in the coming months I don't see when they ever will.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

I think what they are looking at is infection rates.  If the infection rates drop to 1/100,000, then the risk of spread is minimal.  There are areas that do drop to this number and some have stayed there thanks to the vaccines.  Unfortunately, this virus is now endemic and it isn't going anywhere so the goal is to get the infection rate as low as possible.  Low infection rates should translate into a lower chance for the virus to mutate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Unfortunately, this virus is now endemic and it isn't going anywhere so the goal is to get the infection rate as low as possible. 

Our infection rates in my province were extremely low for the last 6 months. There was 7 day average in the low single digits all summer for a population of roughly 1 mil. In the fall we began to average around 20 cases which were almost all tied to travel with no community spread. Over the last week we had one major break out at a mass event at a university which has now bumped up the daily case rates to around 100 for the last several days and created community spread. I understand the need to be cautious and limit the spread, but with our vaccination numbers being high (80% gen. pop. double vaxxed and over 95% for those 50 and over), mask mandates, etc. I just don't see what would prevent the local health authority from continuously imposing restrictions for the foreseeable future. At the beginning of summer the public was told that "75% vaccinated and living with covid" was essentially the final phase, and now that we're there, they've increased some restrictions solely because the rise in case numbers.  It just seems like case number will inevitably go up regardless of when we decide to move forward.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

Social Team · Posted
On 12/14/2021 at 8:06 AM, TrekMD said:

I think what they are looking at is infection rates.  If the infection rates drop to 1/100,000, then the risk of spread is minimal.  There are areas that do drop to this number and some have stayed there thanks to the vaccines.  Unfortunately, this virus is now endemic and it isn't going anywhere so the goal is to get the infection rate as low as possible.  Low infection rates should translate into a lower chance for the virus to mutate. 

Jack Nicholson Lol GIF

I'd love to see where this happens at a county or larger size scale in America.  Also I WISH my county would be so lucky to have a rate of that.....Ohio's current county and statewide case rates.

Social Team · Posted
On 9/3/2021 at 8:51 PM, FireHazard51 said:

Brown County you say....

200.gif

image.png.ac4c83565793a87cc22eb67057b4e861.png

Looks like things are only getting worse...

FYI @Bearcat-DougBrown County is at 778.2 and the state as a whole is averaging 718.5....... We collectively in Ohio are 65% worse than in September.  I hope you are staying safe.  Had a close call myself by result came back negative so it was just a bad cold or the normal seasonal flu.....I actually had to cancel my flu shot because I was sick 😅  Guess I need to be better about getting that earlier.

1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

FYI @Bearcat-DougBrown County is at 778.2 and the state as a whole is averaging 718.5....... We collectively in Ohio are 65% worse than in September.  I hope you are staying safe.  Had a close call myself by result came back negative so it was just a bad cold or the normal seasonal flu.....I actually had to cancel my flu shot because I was sick 😅  Guess I need to be better about getting that earlier.

I've had bronchitis and pneumonia in the past year so it seems like I'm getting everything else. I'm just ready for spring since this weather isn't doing us any favors.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Social Team · Posted
12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That or just move to Florida, look at the rates there vs the rest of the US.  Crazy how much lower it is despite the older population clusters they have vs other states too.  Kind of explains the political hate and shade thrown that way too.

Check out the data from the last 7 days and from the start of COVID....

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_casesper100k

Looks like Florida got herd immunity the hard way.  I mean that was always an options but fucking nuts to basically say.....fuck it.  You're old or compromised health wise then you are likely to get fucked because.... fuck it.  I don't want no "Fauci Ouchie" or a fascist face mask.  And don't get my wrong.  I'm from Ohio and we have similar issues.  I think the total death rate per 100,000 for all of COVID paints a bigger picture.

image.png.150eea9cff43e455d115a71fb40f0795.png

I don't think this is because all the old people in Florida either because those other Gulf States in the deep south don't seem to be retirement hot spot either.  I think there is another bigger factor at play here but that is just me speculating.  Saying, "Come to Florida where it's safe....Because we already kill off the weak so it's now safe for you." is message you want to say but that's kinda what the data looks like.  

But I do hope Florida is at the tail end of dealing with COVID.  But I seriously doubt it with this new variant..... Either way my state is definitely not at the tail end of COVID and shit is just getting worse.  I just hope we don't end up as blue as Florida when it when this is all done.

Well hard way or not, it worked, and if I sound cold, so be it.  Maybe the bigger factor is weather, not age.  The worst states are like swamp states.

This new variant so far may be spreading at a decent clip but it's mild compared to previous, which seems to track with other viruses over time, as they mutate they water down the ability to kill in exchange for a better transmission rate.  I know it's not popular among those freaked out or who like to crusade, but, largely people are over the double talk, the new fear spike the media shovel, fauci and his double talk floundering bullshit that has caused a lot of distrust and apathy by now.  Personally, unless required I don't bother anymore as I got my shots, if that sounds cold, that's fine, if someone else gets sick fine, and if I eventually do, that's fine too.  My choice to roll the dice but I refuse to live in a bubble scared shitless of the invisible boogeyman for years to come.  My state seems to be taking despite having putz of a governor who tried pulling stuff has largely backed off it and returned to basic normality, masks are entirely optional at this rate unless some corporate/business overseer says otherwise.

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Well hard way or not, it worked, and if I sound cold, so be it.  Maybe the bigger factor is weather, not age.  The worst states are like swamp states.

Arizona, New Jersey, & Rhode Island are the other dark blue states.  Those are not swamp states so I think there might be another common factor.  As small as Rhode Island is that could just be a statistical anomaly.  Also I'm not sure if "it worked" is a good statement if developing herd immunity through uncontrolled spreading of the disease.  I mean I get that I'm being over the top but "natural herd immunity" is basically that.  Also your natural immunity doesn't last long enough to snuff out the disease.  COVID 19 more like a seasonal Flu than Small Pox in that once you get it you can get it again the following year.  I heard one disease expert who thinks COVID will ever go away because too many people won't vaccinate so it'll always be around infecting enough people multiple times to ever die off.  And that person said we'd get annual COVID booster shots like Flu shots to help prevent its spread.

This reality could happen due to enough people refusing to get vaccinate and follow CDC guidelines to stop the disease from spreading.  Instead of suffering for a year or so we can decided to suffer slightly less for a lifetime instead.  I mean if we did shut the whole US down and went into serious lockdown for like 3 months we could be wipe out the disease.  But I know that won't happen.  I mean we half ass tried that at the start but....  Well we know how that went.  

It just fucking sucks so much because we were so close last Spring.... Enough people die and the political voting power might swing enough to have mandated vaccinations happen which will induce enough herd immunity at once to stop the virus finally.  Natural immunity from getting sick won't stop the virus.  This isn't like Small Pox where if you get it and survive you are good for life.  We'll see how Flordia does come a year from now.  For now I'm following CDC guidelines, wearing a mask, avoiding gatherings when possible, and getting my booster.  

• Like 1

Yup yup...

And 3mo lockdown is a pipe dream with zero way to enforce that and had it been attempted unlike the media tagged farce of an insurrection last January, you really would have one if that was attempted.  90day hard lock no one can go out, stuck in a home like how chinese officials weld doors sealed for non-compliance would not just cripple but destroy the economy among other things.  That would be the literal bridge too far situation.

Yeah people are being assholes not getting the shot at all, those who wouldn't at least see a negative effect from it as some really can't.  Yet it can't be helped, so in the end it will likely stay around for a time much like a seasonal flu, but given how it seems to keep morphing and getting more catching and less likely to kill as a trade off, maybe that just is what it has to be.

I don't avoid the gatherings or wear a cover at this rate unless it's mandatory, but I am a bit more OCD about using sanitizer than I was before hand.  I already was a bit heavier handed with it having touched nasty flea market items and second hand goods as you don't know where they have been, where that were put or what they got stuck into, etc... ugh.

25 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I don't avoid the gatherings or wear a cover at this rate unless it's mandatory, but I am a bit more OCD about using sanitizer than I was before hand.  I already was a bit heavier handed with it having touched nasty flea market items and second hand goods as you don't know where they have been, where that were put or what they got stuck into, etc... ugh.

Actually the fomite thing (transmission from surfaces) is essentially a non-factor with COVID. It's much more likely to spread to you from some asshole breathing his stank breath on you.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Yup yup...

And 3mo lockdown is a pipe dream with zero way to enforce that and had it been attempted unlike the media tagged farce of an insurrection last January, you really would have one if that was attempted.  90day hard lock no one can go out, stuck in a home like how chinese officials weld doors sealed for non-compliance would not just cripple but destroy the economy among other things.  That would be the literal bridge too far situation.

Yeah people are being assholes not getting the shot at all, those who wouldn't at least see a negative effect from it as some really can't.  Yet it can't be helped, so in the end it will likely stay around for a time much like a seasonal flu, but given how it seems to keep morphing and getting more catching and less likely to kill as a trade off, maybe that just is what it has to be.

Its weird how you are Pro vaccine, but also spout obvious rightwing misinformation. I didnt think the trump cult allowed that! 😂😂