IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

I haven’t read any of this thread in many months, sorry if this has been covered:

But damn if there’s one thing this pandemic has taught me it’s that people don’t understand percentages. I heard someone say:

“Only 9% of COVID tests are false negatives.”

ONLY 9%?! MFer are you insane? I didn’t check the validity of his stat, but let’s operate under the assumption that it’s true. 9% of every single COVID test ever taken. Think about it longer than 45 seconds and it starts to hit you how big of a number that really is. More than it should be. A 9% failure rate in any product is a huge failure rate. Only 9% of the entire population of your model of car explodes randomly.

When I was identifying insect specimens at the molecular level via genomic sequencing and comparing that data, if our results only came back as a 97% match with a reported specimen in the database, we weren’t very confident in that. If it was a 93%-94% match we didn’t publish that. Small percentages are a huge deal. 

Blows my mind when people quote some COVID mortality rate they saw that they think is inconsequential just because it’s a small percentage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
On 12/23/2021 at 5:23 AM, jonebone said:

So, everyone doing okay?  I know this is anecdotal, but this spike is the most significant I've seen.  It doesn't matter what the politics or news say, it's clear this new strain is much more transmissable but seems to be lower impact thankfully.  It also appears that the vaccine is doing nothing, though they won't come out and say it.  It's funny how your view spins it... if you're pro-vaccine then you credit the vaccine for your recovery, even though you got infected (which I thought wasn't supposed to happen).  If you're anti-vaccine then you criticize it for not doing anything.

I might have a case for you then.  Have a non-vaxxed coworker that just got this round, and also had it a little over a year ago.   

I can ask him how this time is compared to last time to see if it's a truly milder strain?  

I just had it a couple weeks ago, and other than no taste no smell it wasn't that bad, maybe a couple days of lung bullshit before losing those.  But not sure if that can be chalked up to vaccine or it just being different for everybody?

The idiots in northern Taiwan are at it again! Hopefully with the vaccinated rate and the new strain being milder, we just accept it and keep plowing on.

Really don't want to take another financial hit due to the idiots up north as well as the rich idiots coming over on holiday just for Chinese New Year / Christmas, and similarly not sure I can take another round of isolation in my apartment month after month with just my cat and balcony plants for company.

Social Team · Posted

But in generally the higher the populations the higher the infection rate is.  Before Omicron you could have higher populations be in the bottom and low populations in the upper positions for infection rates.  My very half ass interpretation of this is that the new variant is HIGHLY contagious and also it's more resilient against the vaccine.  Local NPR has noted case of young children (not able to be vaccinated) have increased in being hospitalized due to COVID.  Even though it's an overall small portion of population of kids it's been adding up to be a real concern.  I bring this up because it's the first time I remember the news talking about very young kids being a concern with overwhelming children's hospitals.

Virus Spray GIF by Fluffy Friends

• Like 1

I saw a similar article yesterday and had to look them up, as I was near certain someone had Photoshopped their images, seeing as they literally look like characters out of the old Spitting Image show.  But, no, they both actually looked like that (at the end), and vehemently denied having any plastic surgery.  Photos of them from TV shows they hosted in the late 70s and early 80s tell an entirely different story.

8 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I saw a similar article yesterday and had to look them up, as I was near certain someone had Photoshopped their images, seeing as they literally look like characters out of the old Spitting Image show.  But, no, they both actually looked like that (at the end), and vehemently denied having any plastic surgery.  Photos of them from TV shows they hosted in the late 70s and early 80s tell an entirely different story.

Yeah, they do look... a tad different - granted they were younger

1511530235-PHOTOS-IGOR-GRICHKA-young.web

14 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Yeah, they do look... a tad different - granted they were younger

1511530235-PHOTOS-IGOR-GRICHKA-young.web

Pretty sure they were already hooked on plastic surgery even then, based on how they looked in the early 80s.  They were born in 1949, so by that point they were long past the point of growing any further, preventing their chins from magically lengthening, etc.  Not quite as bad as the cat lady, IMO, but dangerously close.

spacer.png

• Wow! 1

On 1/4/2022 at 8:04 PM, Strange said:

I haven’t read any of this thread in many months, sorry if this has been covered:

But damn if there’s one thing this pandemic has taught me it’s that people don’t understand percentages. I heard someone say:

“Only 9% of COVID tests are false negatives.”

ONLY 9%?! MFer are you insane? I didn’t check the validity of his stat, but let’s operate under the assumption that it’s true. 9% of every single COVID test ever taken. Think about it longer than 45 seconds and it starts to hit you how big of a number that really is. More than it should be. A 9% failure rate in any product is a huge failure rate. Only 9% of the entire population of your model of car explodes randomly.

When I was identifying insect specimens at the molecular level via genomic sequencing and comparing that data, if our results only came back as a 97% match with a reported specimen in the database, we weren’t very confident in that. If it was a 93%-94% match we didn’t publish that. Small percentages are a huge deal. 

Blows my mind when people quote some COVID mortality rate they saw that they think is inconsequential just because it’s a small percentage.

I believe this is where you're getting your data 

"During the time period specified, 95,919 patients (100,001 samples) were tested for SARS-CoV-2. Of these, 49 patients were found to have discordant results including 49 positive and 52 negative swabs. Repeat testing of 52 negative swabs found five FNs (from five separate patients). Assuming 100% specificity of the diagnostic assay, the FNR and sensitivity in this group of patients with discordant testing was 9.3% (95% CI 1.5–17.0%) and 90.7% (95% CI 82.6–98.9%) respectively."

So it looks like of those 100,000, there was a sample of about 50 that has conflicting results. Of those 52, 5 we're false negatives. That's where the 9% came from. Not from the 100k population

Screenshot-from-2022-01-11-17-19-50.png

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/11/scientists-believed-covid-leaked-wuhan-lab-feared-debate-could/

Viscount Ridley, co-author of Viral: the search for the origin of Covid, said: “These emails show a lamentable lack of openness and transparency among Western scientists who appear to have been more interested in shutting down a hypothesis they thought was very plausible, for political reasons.”

The new details came to light after members of the US Republican House Oversight Committee were granted access to the documents, after complaining that their content had been heavily redacted when released under Freedom of Information requests.

The University of Edinburgh recently turned down an Freedom of Information request from The Telegraph asking to see Prof Rambaut’s replies, claiming “disclosure would be likely to endanger the physical or mental health and safety of individuals”.

Well now, that is bullshite isn't it Edinburgh! Trying to save face, but far too late for that...

• Angry 1

31 minutes ago, Estil said:

Say you know what would be a great vaccine promo/PSA idea?  Get Michael Jordan and Nike together to urge everyone to "Get the vaccine.  JUST DO IT."  You know, bringing back Nike's old 90s slogan in such a clever way?

I think they should get a montage of anti-vaxers right before they die including what ever realizations thry make just before the leave.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

I mean it wouldn't be any more obnoxious and cringy than those lame anti-smoking ads where they find people talking out of their throat to creep you out months before they croak.  The thing is, they only have so much impact before you're just aggravating people who don't want to hear it because they don't care or already did it.

At this point, things might as well just go along, going through fear re-runs don't have impact anymore because even if enough of them are too stupid to know the word endemic or what it means, that's where we're at for now on.

It is infuriating this stuff is coming out now which people got demonized, social media banned for lying/misinformation, the works that is true about Wuhan, that people knew this or that, reality was covered up, the political games with peoples livelihood and freedoms, the works.  It's dumb those people felt they could push it and push it thinking nothing would ever surface while lashing out at people for doing what they were and gleefully speaking of in confidential emails, calls, and face to face.  And they wonder why the govt and the health orgs are distrusted and dumped on.  Create a multi level abusive problem, it will blow up in your face, not might...will.

It is getting INSANE here in Nebraska. Nebraska Med has activated a crisis plan because hospital resources are already over max, they are turning conference rooms into patient rooms, multiple people I know who are vaxxed and boostered are still catching it and feeling awful for 3-4 days or more. 

I work remote but our office opened for fully vaxxed employees only and I'm so glad I didn't go because a ton of them have now caught covid. The fact that I have yet to catch it is quite frankly astounding in my opinion. 

Hope all of you continue to stay safe. 

• Like 4