IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain, 26 missions in and I am really just not feeling it the only thing that keeps me at it is the battles since there are new bugs and aliens and things look nice and all but I had a hell of a lot of more fun with 4.1 and 5. Not quite sure if I will see this one to the end or not especially if its 100+ missions again.

2/5 Finished the main campaign last night (52 Missions) sad to say not much improved last battle was just odd and more difficult than I think it should had been as it is like your trying to take out one thing and getting flooded with waves of other things, the AI in the game is just mental.

All in all even though I am still a huge fan of EDF this spin off had much to be desired, hopefully if another comes along either Yuke learns something from this or Sandlot takes back control or even better return back to the main series with 6. 

Edited by MuNKeY

Sisters Royale, just messing with it a little and then my pro controller up and died so it's charging now so was using my joycons and not working out very well I think I actually have that drift shit going on with the left one as the character took off at least 3 different times in random directions I was not even pushing towards. Meh.  

As of a couple of nights ago, I busted out DOSBox and some classics.  I played and finished the first (shareware) chapter of Solar Winds then moved on to start into the second (registered) one.  Thinking about playing Dune next, as I've been thinking about it lately and haven't played it since it was new.

Took a short break from cross-stitching to finally enjoy a game, picked something random, Syvalion. I thought sure, let's try this game out. Very odd sorta game where you pilot a chinese dragon shaped spacecraft through levels burning up enemies with your flame breath and trying to reach the end and destroy the boss without dying and fast enough that time doesn't run out. The controls take a tad getting used to, or probably just the length of the body of this ship. You can bump against walls, and the screen is scrolled manually just by moving. Your flame breath can only be used for a certain amount of time before it runs out and you have to let it replenish, but if you move around quickly it will refill faster. There are enemies that have a blue glow around them which are completely invincible, which I found very lame. The timer in the regular game is a pain. But on the plus side, it doesn't matter whether you die or not, the game respawns you and even if on a boss you pick up exactly where you were thus any damage done to them stays, so what could have been a challenging game was not. I beat the basic mode, and then the combat mode, only difference I saw were order of the bosses and different last boss, oh and at one point on the combat mode I got some automatic firing homing missiles that I lost after dying too much, but otherwise not any more challenging than the basic mode. Had the game beaten on my first try for each of the difficulty levels. I'm sure there's some strategy to this game, probably just that it is score driven since it is so easy to beat, it would be all about getting a better score than last time, thus fewer deaths to achieve it and nabbing bonus points when you can, whatever, the way I see it, it was a good idea with the whole dragon ship but poorly implemented. The game was interesting for a few moments, kept me playing only because I had nothing else I felt like doing at the time. The game could have been better had there not been this super fast clock ticking down the whole time, and no invincible things, and maybe added some different types of techniques, skills to the dragon ship that are worth a damn to get excited about, and more stages, and maybe the ship having some quick ability to contract itself to avoid taking damage. It had potential, it was wasted, and if it weren't for the unique ship design would be forgettable.

example of an invincible enemy (thus more like an obstacle)

1390537396_Syvalion(Europe)009.png.77dd30ad6264f216fcb0b0e3bfc076f8.png

this boss was really hard to avoid on the basic mode because of its homing shots (interestingly is easier on the combat mode with no homing shots just spread shots)

23102264_Syvalion(Europe)019.png.d5fb385090dddfa567279316d4039fe3.png

last boss of the basic mode (a giant robot cyclops with boomerangs... o-kay)

85119000_Syvalion(Europe)022.png.821d3547f35eb6f5d3d5a7ba24ae03a0.png

ending #1

Spoiler

1359071121_Syvalion(Europe)047.png.e8d9bbf5f86b06b28b7b3c8478fed4d4.png

last boss of the combat mode (looks like something out of Darius which I suppose makes sense being that Taito made it)

1568993058_Syvalion(Europe)048.png.62591944334a9df5f3c17027a33c4b61.png

ending #2

Spoiler

1026230485_Syvalion(Europe)049.png.261adcfe8e0fff5313692184507f2b18.png

my first time at the combat mode (second time playing the game which includes the basic mode just before that)

Edited by MeganJoanne
had some more stuff to say

On 2/8/2020 at 10:42 PM, Gloves said:

Back at Quest 64. About 3/4 done. 

Good on you, hope you're enjoying it.  That game gets so badly dumped on and really it's actually pretty fun.  I mean I get some of the reasons, but I think others are people are just so stuck up in the illogical ways JRPGs work they never stop to think some of the designs of this one is a direct middle finger to that.  Notice in some JRPGs people know you're on the way to save the world and need help, so they charge you crazy money for anything you need.  Quest, they smile and hand it over, and inn lodgings too for free.  I liked that, it was a nice change.  Combat works, the spell setup is pretty interesting too, though you can easily rely on using just a few if powered up enough for the game though.  The game also really does work as a true 3D RPG, not just polygons and flat play like the usual do such as FF7 at the same time frame.

I started playing Starlink Battle for Atlas.  It seems a bit repetitive so far.  I just keep fighting the same or similar group of enemies over and over.  I'm hoping it will get better if I just ignore the side missions (with the exception of the Star Fox stuff) and focus on the main campaign.

Edited by Red