IGNORED

Console Debate #33 Playstation 5

fox

How do you rate PS5?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate PS5?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it. 3
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven't played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/2021 at 03:00 AM

Administrator · Posted

I am very interested in it, and would like to buy one, but have thus far been unsuccessful.  I'm definitely not paying crazy ebay rates atm, so I'll continue to wait.  There aren't a ton of games out yet, so I'm fine waiting for a bit, but it is definitely a bit frustrating just how quickly they get snatched up for resale.  Just not much you can really do about it unfortunately.

I'd be curious to know how many people around here have one and if you do, how did you get it? At this point with the way scalpers work, finding one in a store at random is near impossible. If you found one on a store shelf, when was it and how early did you happen into the store.

Also, I know preorders are for prelaunch, but does any retail chain take limitless orders and you just go into a waiting queue? It seems like something GameStop or Amazon might do.

Too early to vote on, and so far I only have 3 games for it (RE Village, Returnal, and Ratchet & Clank, w/Scarlett Nexus coming in a few weeks). I bought the system from the Source (used to be Radio Shack) on pre-order at launch, but let a friend take the order instead since he was dejected for having missed out. A few months ago, my wife got an Amiibo sub forum alert that EB Games was doing a digital lineup on their website, so she got in line and got a unit for us...and told me about it later, lol. I have never - nor would I ever - pay a scalper; that's just throwing money away, and when people give in to that, it perpetuates the cycle.

From a console only standpoint, the aesthetic is nice enough, but it would be nice if there were options for colour; the white doesn't go with anything in my game room. The controller is comfortable and staged triggers are a nice touch. From a technical standpoint, there isn't much here to write home about that I haven't already been doing for years on PC, but I appreciate that some devs are trying to take advantage of the SSD in interesting ways like with Ratchet & Clank. The system did have a hard crash while playing R&C when I fell off a platform, a first for me with the system.

All in all, from a hardware standpoint, I'd put this at a 7 or 8 just because there's nothing revolutionary here; it's - at its core - a watered down gaming PC.

From a library standpoint, it's too soon to rate. Returnal is awesome, and I have high hopes for Horizon (the main reason I wanted to get the system), so only time will tell.

• Like 1

I'm digging it.  The haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are really next level controllers.  Everything looks and plays great.  Not a ton of games at the moment but Astro Bot, Miles, Souls, Returnal, and VIllage are all great.

Too early to rate, but it hasn't blown me away yet. A few thoughts:

• It's ugly and enormous, but relatively quiet compared to the PS4 Pro which sounded like a jet engine.
  • The OS is a big step back from the PS4. It takes a lot more button presses to play games, find trophies, and put the console in rest mode with no obvious benefits.
  • $70 price tag for first party games is a slap in the face to consumers considering the Playstation division is more profitable than ever (inflation isn't and shouldn't ever be the sole factor in price increases)
  • DualSense is okay, but I think it's way overhyped.
    • I have average to above average sized hands and it feels way too big
    • The trackpad remains useless but now covers even more of the controller.
    • PS button got moved into a spot that's more difficult to hit.
    • Haptic stuff is cool, but I'd rather have an Xbox controller for the better layout and triggers.
  • Early PS5 exclusives are decent, but not revolutionary and others are a long way off.
    • Demon's Souls is beautiful to look at, but the gameplay definitely feels 13 years old and it sadly lacks any ray-tracing. 
    • Sack Boy is the definition of meh. Floaty controls and basic gameplay are pretty much unchanged from the original. The music levels are cool though.
    • Astro's Playroom is interesting for an hour, but even the DualSense stuff doesn't really justify its existence. It forces a ton of motion control and trackpad use which negates much of the haptic fun. It's not bad by any means, but it got way more hype than it deserves since it's a pack-in.
  • Back compatibility upgrades are awesome

So basically, it's a new console that was launched in a pandemic with a relatively anemic assortment of cross-gen games. I'm sure it will end up being amazing, but right now it's just a hard-to-find PS4 Pro+. Hopefully by the end of 2022 it will have its own identity. 

Games I'd like to play or am looking forward to playing:

• Returnal
  • God of War 2
  • Horizon 2
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Kena
  • Deathloop
  • Project Althia?
  • Like 1

Do we know yet if Dragon Quest 12 will be for the PS4 or PS5?  Granted it'll probably be at least another year before it comes out but still it'd kinda suck to plunk down all that money for a new PS5 for just one game. 😞 

Edited by Estil

Editorials Team · Posted
53 minutes ago, Estil said:

Do we know yet if Dragon Quest 12 will be for the PS4 or PS5?  Granted it'll probably be at least another year before it comes out but still it'd kinda suck to plunk down all that money for a new PS5 for just one game. 😞 

There are other games.  Just saying.