IGNORED

Console Debate #33 Playstation 5

fox

How do you rate PS5?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate PS5?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it. 3
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven't played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/2021 at 03:00 AM

On 8/23/2021 at 8:39 AM, TDIRunner said:

Haven't played it yet.  Way too early for me to get one.  I will most likely get one eventually, but this might be my last Sony console.  

Why do you say that?  I mean it's way too early to be thinking that far ahead to the PS6...  I don't know about the rest of you but...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Just got mine.  It'll be awhile before I can score it as I've only played one (PS4) game on it, but I think it has a lot of positive trajectories:

• UHD 4K movies.  I've bought 4 movie playing devices in my entire life: a PS2, a 360, a PS3, and now this.  I like efficiency.
  • Backwards compatibility.  I skipped the whole last gen.  Now I have a hundred (plus) good games in front of me that cost $5-15.
  • The PS5 game library projects well at its current rate imo.  It may not end up as deep as the PS4, but I think it will finish stronger than the PS3
  • The game pricing complaints only matter if you have to have your shit on day one.  I never do, so it's a moot point to me.  Everything I've been buying is $20 or $30, and I anticipate a huge haul on Black Friday.

Demerits? 

• Still cannot stand the DS compared to an XBox/Pro controller.  Quite being so damn stubborn with the layout Sony.  Adapt or die.
  • Everything is buried in unintuitive menus.  It's a minor inconvenience, but pretty mindboggling.  XBL had that shit figured out awhile ago.  So did the PS3.  Even the maligned Switch interface does a lot better.
  • I'm spoiled by the instant accessibility and quick start of the Switch!
  • No Bethesda.
  • Like 2

Administrator · Posted
32 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Just got mine.  It'll be awhile before I can score it as I've only played one (PS4) game on it, but I think it has a lot of positive trajectories:

• UHD 4K movies.  I've bought 4 movie playing devices in my entire life: a PS2, a 360, a PS3, and now this.  I like efficiency.
  • Backwards compatibility.  I skipped the whole last gen.  Now I have a hundred (plus) good games in front of me that cost $5-15.
  • The PS5 game library projects well at its current rate imo.  It may not end up as deep as the PS4, but I think it will finish stronger than the PS3
  • The game pricing complaints only matter if you have to have your shit on day one.  I never do, so it's a moot point to me.  Everything I've been buying is $20 or $30, and I anticipate a huge haul on Black Friday.

Demerits? 

• Still cannot stand the DS compared to an XBox/Pro controller.  Quite being so damn stubborn with the layout Sony.  Adapt or die.
  • Everything is buried in unintuitive menus.  It's a minor inconvenience, but pretty mindboggling.  XBL had that shit figured out awhile ago.  So did the PS3.  Even the maligned Switch interface does a lot better.
  • I'm spoiled by the instant accessibility and quick start of the Switch!
  • No Bethesda.

The biggest thing honestly that a lot of people are sleeping on right now is the fact that the PS4 has a ton of solid titles in the under $20 range for physical second hand copies. I could easily be wrong but I think there's a sort of rolling sweet spot where the last gen games are "undesirable" to the masses, and those of us with experience in the market are going to be able to identify at a glance the games that could end up being desirable in the future. For me that means buying up the games I want to own before they inevitably become "investments" for some other guy.

It's nowhere near impossible to get sealed PS4 games still, and many at bargain prices. Get that 1st print God of War while you can get it for $10. Like holy shit that's value right there if I ever saw it.

• Agree 1

@Reed Rothchild
Congratz.  If you missed out on last gen then take advantage of the ps plus collection.  If you have ps plus and a PS5, you get pretty much the greatest hits of last gen titles.
ps-plus-collection-game-lineup.jpg?q=50&
The monthly titles are Crash 4 and Man of Medan, so a pretty good month.  You can add them to your library and download them later.

Also some ps4 titles let you use the ps4 disc, and let you download the PS5 version via the storefront.  So say you picked up Jedi Fallen Order or the FF7 remake, you can get the upgraded version for free.

The PS5 has a rest mode and PS5 games can use the SSD to load super fast.  You should be able to get into a game you want to play pretty quick.  PS4 games not as much, but they should still have improved load times on PS5.

The UI is kind of a mess, but it is stable and fast, which makes it an improvement over the ps3/ps4.  It needs an overhaul and some customization options bad.

There are still some Bethesda games.  Deathloop, Doom, Wolfenstein.  Good stuff to check out.

Edited by fox

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, fox said:

@Reed Rothchild
Congratz.  If you missed out on last gen then take advantage of the ps plus collection.  If you have ps plus and a PS5, you get pretty much the greatest hits of last gen titles.
The monthly titles are Crash 4 and Man of Medan, so a pretty good month.  You can add them to your library and download them later.

Also some ps4 titles let you use the ps4 disc, and let you download the PS5 version via the storefront.  So say you picked up Jedi Fallen Order or the FF7 remake, you can get the upgraded version for free.

The PS5 has a rest mode and PS5 games can use the SSD to load super fast.  You should be able to get into a game you want to play pretty quick.  PS4 games not as much, but they should still have improved load times on PS5.

The UI is kind of a mess, but it is stable and fast, which makes it an improvement over the ps3/ps4.  It needs an overhaul and some customization options bad.

There are still some Bethesda games.  Deathloop, Doom, Wolfenstein.  Good stuff to check out.

Good shout out on Deathloop - I 100%'ed the game on PC, and when I got my PS5 a few weeks ago now I went and did it again on there.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, fox said:

@Reed Rothchild

Since I'm a collector I doubt I ever subscribe to PS+.  Especially since I already own Batman, God of War, and Biohazard from that list, have already played through Last of Us, and own Crash 4 on Switch.  I'll be (re)buying Bloodborne and Fallout and many of the rest soon enough since they're dirt cheap.

I'll also definitely be getting New Order and Old Blood very soon, but it's a massive shame that anything upcoming is out of their reach.  Not sure when the Activision deal will start excluding Sony as well.  But it's fine, I can always get an Xbox as well at some point if the value is there.

Definitely like the free upgrades.  Already started the PS5 version of Biohazard.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Since I'm a collector I doubt I ever subscribe to PS+.  Especially since I already own Batman, God of War, and Biohazard from that list, have already played through Last of Us, and own Crash 4 on Switch.  I'll be (re)buying Bloodborne and Fallout and many of the rest soon enough since they're dirt cheap.

I'll also definitely be getting New Order and Old Blood very soon, but it's a massive shame that anything upcoming is out of their reach.  Not sure when the Activision deal will start excluding Sony as well.  But it's fine, I can always get an Xbox as well at some point if the value is there.

Definitely like the free upgrades.  Already started the PS5 version of Biohazard.

PS+ has been great for demoing games that I missed last gen, which has lead to some physical purchases and adding to a "want" list. Also similar to Switch, Plus is required to play online if you plan to do so (at least the base version, last I checked).

While you're looking to pick up Bloodborne, IMO get the European GOTY version. The thought of it might make you cringe but if your main goal is like mine - being able to play your games well into the future regardless of internet and game companies delisting shit or turning off their store, that version is the only one which has all of the (fantastic) DLC on the disc.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

PS+ has been great for demoing games that I missed last gen, which has lead to some physical purchases and adding to a "want" list. Also similar to Switch, Plus is required to play online if you plan to do so (at least the base version, last I checked).

While you're looking to pick up Bloodborne, IMO get the European GOTY version. The thought of it might make you cringe but if your main goal is like mine - being able to play your games well into the future regardless of internet and game companies delisting shit or turning off their store, that version is the only one which has all of the (fantastic) DLC on the disc.

Believe me, I've already tormented myself over that decision 😅

I have the Yakuza remasters arriving today ($20) and it's anybody's guess which region Amazon decided to send me, so that will be a good gauge of my tolerance of dreaded imports.