IGNORED

Console Debate #33 Playstation 5

fox

How do you rate PS5?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate PS5?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it. 3
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven't played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/2021 at 03:00 AM

This is obviously (very likely) going to change in the future, but for now it's a 3/10, and that's absolutely pushing it.

Only a tiny handful of games, of which few if any are of any interest. The coolest looking one is Demon's Souls, which is a game that has already existed on PS3 for well over ten years.

As someone who is very rarely interested in new cutting edge tech, especially when none of the new games coming out do nothing to utilize it, the only thing a new console generation means is 1. more huge, expensive junk taking up space, and 2. new games being much more expensive.
Both are things that has absolutely zero benefit to me as a consumer, and I feel like I would be better off without.

The SuperGrafX has more merit.

EDIT: Oh, it's also really ugly

Edited by Sumez

I can’t really rate it because I don’t have one but there’s not a lot of appeal for me to get one (not that I could if I wanted to). Besides demon souls remake there’s no other game on it I want.

I don’t really see a point in getting a console over a PC these days because the majority of games are also ported to PC and my rig is waaaaaay better than an Xbox or PS5. Also Steam Link means I can play my PC games just about anywhere that has an Internet connection and on pretty much any device.

The Switch is the only console worth getting IMO and that’s just for the exclusives.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Yeah, for now we're still at zero games 😄 

Returnal?  Resident Evil Village People?  I feel like those are things I've vaguely heard about 😅

I'm making the assumption that whenever DQ12 comes out that there will be at least one other game to tickle Estil's fantasy.

...then again, if the Dragon Quest thread has taught me anything, it's that DQ fans are a ridiculous people. 🤣 

19 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Returnal?  Resident Evil Village People?  I feel like those are things I've vaguely heard about 😅

Don’t count too spooky.  Racket n Clark just came out, dun count it’s 4 kidz.  zero games

Too early to tell.

As for the PC comments, there’s no way in hell I’m paying what it costs to build a PC just to play modern video games. I’m fine with a cheap box I can plug in. 99% of PC exclusives that are worth anything come to console eventually anyway. Nintendo and PlayStation’s exclusives (arguably the most desirable/well received games in the modern era) don’t.

Edited by Strange

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm making the assumption that whenever DQ12 comes out that there will be at least one other game to tickle Estil's fantasy.

...then again, if the Dragon Quest thread has taught me anything, it's that DQ fans are a ridiculous people. 🤣 

I'm not a ridiculous people... 😞   Oh yeah, they got Final Fantasy 16 I forgot about that...they just better have some cute chicks in your main party this time...not that stupid all males who look pretty much the same crap in FF15... 😞   I don't know if I'd even pay a $1 for that game... 😞 

I have the same opinion as I did on the Series X, it is way to early to put any kind of rank on the console. We haven't even made it a year, it is impossible to objectively score a console this early in. PS5 has a slight edge in my mind due to having some actual exclusives with Ratchet, Returnal and Demons' Souls, but it is still just too early to tell. 

I said "Interested", but really I'm only lightly following it until I see any word on what their PlayStation VR implementation is on the system. They already showed off new controllers, but I haven't seen the new headset. I also don't know yet if the PS4 VR games will be backward compatible. It's the only reason I'm interested. If I can't get anything out of the VR, then I won't bother with it.

Most anything is going to get either a switch or PC port at this rate, so I have no reason to want one. Sony exclusives have never mattered to me, but for something I pick up after the fact (and PS1 and PS2 having an incredible number of exclusive games), and given their recent output, I have little reason to feel differently for PS5.

What follows is a personal gripe fest about the PS5 and about Sony as a company. I spoilered in case people don't give a rat's ass, but I'm leaving it here for others to read if they wish. If it should move to another thread entirely, then let me know. Cue joke HTML tags!

<rant>

Spoiler

To be completely honest, I think PS5 needs some serious retooling. The console is way too big, for one thing. The only system that still dwarfs it is the 5200, and not even by much. The controllers are already showing joystick drift like on switch joycons, but unlike the switch, sony had the horrific idea to make their joysticks soldered to the board in 16 places. That just means replacement of an 88 cent part is going to be essentially impossible for even the typical "DIY game repair" type willing to open up their console. It's also just insanely over-the-top; Maybe they decided it needed to be that way to prevent stability issues with the rumble, or maybe they didn't want it to come off in any circumstance. I don't know the answer, I just know a pain in the ass when I see  one 😛

Finally, I don't really want to support Sony given their recent decision-making. My previous paragraph speaks for itself, I think, as to what I think of their hardware considerations. Going beyond that, there are software concerns as well. For one, It is my opinion that the games which are being pushed as big Sony titles are not what I would consider interesting as games. Maybe as storytelling experiences, but for story in games my interest is exceptionally small. This then relates to another thing that I like a lot, which is Japanese games, especially unusual or inventive ones.

I bring this up, because I also find their recent content policy changes, and their decision to make X the confirm button worldwide, to be a rather pointed turn on the Japanese userbase, which given their decades of loyalty to the brand, doesn't speak much confidence to me that the system is worth supporting if you want the support of the Japanese market. You may not really care at all about the controller change or about the content policy changes made. The button thing is bothersome to me as I use that setting more often, but more importantly, I want to focus on the content matter.

Personally, I never played those kinds of games anyway, and it doesn't affect me to see them shrivel up on playstation. In spite of this, I must point out that if you want Japanese to be making games for your system, then you need Japanese sales to be high. Whether you like it or not, Japanese buy those kinds of games and are fervent consumers of software, which pushes the idea to developers that they should support those platforms.

From this, it is my feeling that Sony may be alienating their Japanese userbase to the overall detriment of the platform and its releases. Maybe I am overestimating the effect that such things will have, and sony will simply continue to operate as "the default" platform for games in Japan. However, the sales performance for Sony in Japan as of late are not encouraging in that direction. Blame it on production woes, but this has been going on since before 2020, and even with a new console launch, Sony still didn't put a dent in charts last year in the country.

My hope is they will change, but I am not expecting a lot, and so like some others in this thread, PS5 may become another console I pick up in the future, when people are throwing their PS5s to the curb as they are with PS4s now.

</rant>

tl;dr Sony has some issues to sort out before I am interested in their hardware again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Estil said:

I'm not a ridiculous people... 😞   Oh yeah, they got Final Fantasy 16 I forgot about that...they just better have some cute chicks in your main party this time...not that stupid all males who look pretty much the same crap in FF15... 😞   I don't know if I'd even pay a $1 for that game... 😞 

My one friend who had that game pointed out how ridiculous the character names were too. Like, Prompto Argentum? Literally "Quick Silver" in Latin? Seriously? It's like something out of a rejected Kojima plotline. XD

On 6/20/2021 at 7:42 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Dunno.  I'll probably get one someday, but we're nearing the point where I'm gonna call it a day on most future games, and will instead focus on everything that already exists.  I could see getting a PS5 and just getting the top 10 or so heavy hitters.

I think I hit that point myself this year; I was meditating, and my mind hit upon how I don't own any system made since the Wii U, save for a dusty switch, and how I haven't built a new gaming PC since 2014, yet I already have more games than I could ever actually finish.

At this rate, I managed to skip 8th gen almost entirely (I suppose Wii U does count) and to be honest I barely even know what games are on PS4 and Xbone, as I cared so little about them. It'd be like asking me about pop music from this decade. I might recognize it if you mentioned the name and played it for me, but otherwise it's all so forgettable that I'd hardly miss it if it were gone.

In some way, it's very freeing; The companies have no power over me. Nothing they can show me will make me sit down, shut up, and shell out for their newest hype monster. I'm free to just go and get whatever I want to play, and if I'm done with the console after that, then I can sell it and not even care. I could probably skip another generation and not even notice. Just let me pick over what's worth picking at afterward and dodge all of their money-grabbing bullshit and disappointing overinflated hype messes. It's all done, I'm off their hype cycle. I'm drug-free, I'm clean, and I feel alive, baby! Aliiiiiivie! Woo! FREE! I'M FREEEEEEEEEE! HA HA HA!

Edited by koifish
combined posts to prevent multiposting.

Remember when the Wii was the impossible console to find?  Well my wonderful wife waaaay back in Christmas 2008 made sure to get me one! 🙂   I even made a neat little note for that day on its calendar saying so!

Say, will we have a Year 2035 problem with the Wii?  Its calendar apparently only goes that far.

This is what I mean...I mean I already have the first four Playstations (and the first six Nintendos I might add) and now I might have to have a whole 'nother $500 system for just that one game?  Doesn't seem right...

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Estil said:

Remember when the Wii was the impossible console to find?  Well my wonderful wife waaaay back in Christmas 2008 made sure to get me one! 🙂   I even made a neat little note for that day on its calendar saying so!

Say, will we have a Year 2035 problem with the Wii?  Its calendar apparently only goes that far.

Surprised to hear that. I guess in 2006 most hardware was still 32-bit architecture however.

On 6/24/2021 at 11:33 PM, koifish said:

I said "Interested", but really I'm only lightly following it until I see any word on what their PlayStation VR implementation is on the system. They already showed off new controllers, but I haven't seen the new headset. I also don't know yet if the PS4 VR games will be backward compatible. It's the only reason I'm interested. If I can't get anything out of the VR, then I won't bother with it.

I'm also very interested to see what they do with VR back compatibility. I like the idea of VR and I have a Vive for room scale stuff which can be truly amazing. I don't think the PS4 VR games would impress me, since I've seen so much better on PC, but it would be a fun subset to collect and play through every now and then. Kind of like an early VR time capsule.

On 6/26/2021 at 6:41 PM, DoctorEncore said:

I'm also very interested to see what they do with VR back compatibility. I like the idea of VR and I have a Vive for room scale stuff which can be truly amazing. I don't think the PS4 VR games would impress me, since I've seen so much better on PC, but it would be a fun subset to collect and play through every now and then. Kind of like an early VR time capsule.

On that subject, VR history is a nightmare to collect. So many random headsets with hardware/software that doesn't exist anymore, and so many projects basically dumped in the trash over the last decade.

PS4 VR sticks out as it has some high-budget stuff that isn't on other platforms, so getting it on a superior headset would be pretty nice.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, asmikace said:

Way too early to gauge the PS5. With rampant scalping and Covid affecting console production and limiting game development for the high production games, the PS5 along with the Xbox going to take another year the library to really show.

It's just as well.  Like I said before I already got four Playstations, six Nintendos, two handhelds and a Genesis that also triples as a Master System and Sega CD...and now they want me to plunk down another $500 for just that one, maybe two games?

Eh, I better give it a few years for the price to drop.  Not that I really have much of a choice (all I get is my SSDI)...

• 1 month later...

So it has been confirmed that Final Fantasy 16 WILL have at least one chick...THANK GOD.  Still, $600 (for both console and FF16/DQ12) is a LOT of money for just two games though... 😞  That's okay, it'll still be well into 2022 at the earliest before the games are finished but still...

And apparently PS5's are STILL really hard to come by just like the Wii's were for the first couple or so years?