IGNORED

Console Debate #34 Nintendo Switch

fox

How do you rate Nintendo Switch?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Nintendo Switch?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it. 3
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven't played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/2021 at 01:00 AM

It's not perfect, but I also find it hard to fault for much.  The most obvious being their poor material construction of the original model as it shares with the nvidia shield tablet it was born from some pretty poor plastic shell molding that tends to crack, especially from heat stress, and amazingly so in the same places (I have both.)  Also considering enough feel it's an issue I'll get grilled for pretending to exclude the joycon problem a vocal minority of people had.

That said, the system was/is this excellent merge of really good ideas taking a handheld and giving it console capabilities.  Not just in design, but also because of the core setup of the system using a super tiny and lean OS footprint using so little memory it gives it all towards the games.  And the games, they can do amazing stuff because they made the system super versatile in that it can use all the scalable modern 3D engines so we got some real eye popper games for it few would have expected to ever happen.

With a strong unique library of its own games, further bolstered by the criminally undersold and poorly profited WiiU stuff they deluxe(d) out for the thing to widen the library there's lots to do just from them alone.  Throw in the fact it's like this strange renaissance of 3rd party developers giving them actual respect and games, not seen other than part of the Gamecube existence, since the SNES era is nothing short of amazing.  There's just so much variety, so much to do that's not just landfill garbage you'd be hard pressed to not have a few good things to play to justify buying the hardware unless you're a hater.  That again is something you couldn't claim from a Nintendo system again since the 16bit era too, other than maybe for the time it went well for the cube.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

10/10

I sincerely think it's the GOAT.  Not the SNES, which I grew up with and consider to hold many of history's greatest games.  Not the PS2, which has hundreds of great games.  Not the PS1, the SNES' successor.  Not the NES and Genesis,.which I hold great respect for.

Reason #1 - A killer lineup of in-house games.  Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are two of their franchises' high points.  Naysayers be damned.

Reason #2 - The best 3rd party support Nintendo has had in decades.

Reason #3 - The overall strength of the library. 

What's the 100th best game on the SNES or NES or PS1?  Is is better than these?

image003.pngimage002.png

image004.png

What about 200th?  Is it better than these?

image001.png

What about 300th?

image005.png

image006.png

400th?

image007.png

500th?

image008.png

image009.png

600th?

image010.png

image011.png

700th?

image012.png

image013.png

800th?

image014.png

image015.png

I had to cut myself off there.

Reason #4 - Portability.  That's the trump card.  Why did I play my 3DS instead of get a PS4?  Because I don't have the luxury of sitting in front of my TV for very long at a time.  The Switch gives me the best of both worlds.

image002.png

image001.png

• Like 8
  • Wow! 1

8/10

An improvement over both the Wii and Wii U. The game selection is excellent with a mix of Wii U ports, exclusives, and Indie titles. Got me into online gaming (the only "online games" I played before were Flash Games), after decades of playing console/handheld games offline only. I like the different Controllers, especially the GameCube-style Controller which is what I use when playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (also used it when playing Super Mario Bros. 35). And as someone who likes imports, I appreciate that the Switch is not region locked.

There are some flaws, of course, which I'm sure almost everyone is aware of, like the drifting (which I haven't experienced with my Joy-Cons yet, since I don't use them as often). Also, I've noticed that my Switch sometimes operates in handheld mode when I turn it on (even if it's inside the Dock, and secure). When this happens, I have to take it out of the Dock and put it back in. A minor issue, but a little inconvenient. Another issue is that it only has 32 GB of space, which isn't enough for games like Resident Evil 5 & 6 (together). Spyro: Reignited Trilogy was the first (and so far only) physical game I bought that didn't include the full games. I remember having to download a System Update, followed by reading a Privacy Statement before I could play. I played and enjoyed getting 100% in the first few levels in the first Spyro game, only to see a message saying I needed to download an (almost 9 GB) update to play the rest of the game.

But those are mostly minor issues, and the Switch is really fun to play. I like the NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube a little more, but it is still a massive improvement over the Wii and Wii U (easily the worst Nintendo consoles). Can't wait for the Breath of the Wild sequel, Metroid Prime 4, Splatoon 3 and Cruis'n Blast.

switchcontrollers.jpg.fc954a76742f81e80913ffcc56997f02.jpg

megaman11.jpg.4df08dc3909b8e11bb62e733ffe97e67.jpg

starlinkswitch.jpg.95ab785f9ee718413a0703b2cfd4974b.jpg

bbceboxopen.thumb.jpg.9cba93998a2fdaa08f5e96ee223b2085.jpg

switchgames.jpg.f4040ebbc5171e30d9f200cf1b6c8c24.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

The Nintendo Switch is a huge turnaround from the Wii U, it's a fantastic little system that took the idea of off-screen play that the Wii U first introduced and made it the defining feature of the console. Nintendo completely erased the line between the handheld and the console. They have put out a steady stream of fantastic new games, Wii U immigrants and has done a great job courting third parties again so that you can have things like Doom and The Witcher 3 on a Nintendo console and has been an absolute juggernaut in the indie scene. 

But, having said that, I can only give the console an 8 because there are some issues I do have with the console. For one thing, it's hard to argue that the console does struggle in raw power. Many third party games have to be downgraded to work on the console, which means that unless the Switch is the only console you own, there isn't much of a reason to play a lot of the third party games on it. Second, the console sadly is a bit too basic. It lacks many of the great features from the Wii U and the 3DS, such as themes, folders, internet browser, and the Virtual Console. The free NES and SNES games you get for the online subscription doesn't cut it for me. Finally, and this is a very personal gripe, but the Switch has seen a terrible trend of companies being extra lazy and not including full games on cartridges. I don't know who is exactly at fault, be it Nintendo for not allowing larger cartridge sizes, or the publishers for not wanting to pay, but as a collector I hate seeing things like the Mega Man Legacy Collections being split between physical and digital downloads. 

Ultimately, I am going to give the Switch an 8/10. It's a great console, but has one too few issues that keeps me from putting it higher.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

10/10

I sincerely think it's the GOAT.  Not the SNES, which I grew up with and consider to hold many of history's greatest games.  Not the PS2, which has hundreds of great games.  Not the PS1, the SNES' successor.  Not the NES and Genesis,.which I hold great respect for.

Reason #1 - A killer lineup of in-house games.  Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are two of their franchises' high points.  Naysayers be damned.

Reason #2 - The best 3rd party support Nintendo has had in decades.

Reason #3 - The overall strength of the library. 

What's the 100th best game on the SNES or NES or PS1?  Is is better than these?

image003.pngimage002.png

image004.png

What about 200th?  Is it better than these?

image001.png

What about 300th?

image005.png

image006.png

400th?

image007.png

500th?

image008.png

image009.png

600th?

image010.png

image011.png

700th?

image012.png

image013.png

800th?

image014.png

image015.png

I had to cut myself off there.

Reason #4 - Portability.  That's the trump card.  Why did I play my 3DS instead of get a PS4?  Because I don't have the luxury of sitting in front of my TV for very long at a time.  The Switch gives me the best of both worlds.

image002.png

image001.png

Man, those games are completely random based on round numbers and almost every single one of them is a game you can play somewhere else. This is 100% the Switch.

• Like 1

It has the PS2 thing of being underpowered and having a million games, but because we're in a much different era it doesn't have the exclusive library that the PS2 had (I literally can't think of any non-Nintendo exclusives). The constant rereleases have been a bummer as someone who would happily even just play rehashed sequels, like seriously just give me new NSMB or Captain Toad levels or make Bowser's Fury into a full game, not a side quest.

Joycons might be Nintendo's least ergonomic controller including the N64. They are a crampy bummer both using the Switch portably and if a friend hands you one for multiplayer instead of a real controller (or worse if you have to use it for multiplayer). The Pro controller is pretty great though.

It's definitely my least played Nintendo console ever. Outside of the marquee Nintendo games (the ones that aren't just remakes or ports) it has nothing for me personally since it's my last choice for multiplatform games and yet still is often the most expensive choice. This era of games in general isn't my favorite either. I get why it's the megahit blockbuster it is and I'm happy Nintendo is finally getting third party support it's lacked for 25 years.

• Like 1

As much as I love the N64 and SNES, Switch is Nintendo's objectively best console. Subjectively I'd put it up there with SNES and N64 too. I had to give it a 10. There are just too many great games on tj system. So many great indies. So much third party support. Great first party games even if a lot of them are Wii U ports. On top of that you have portability. I don't really use the handheld mode much but I'm always happy it's there. It's the system that I feel like Nintendo has been building towards for decades, merging their handheld and console markets into one. And honestly this is the first time since SNES that I feel like there are too many games i want to play that I can't keep up. The last several consoles and handhelds I always was able to keep up. There's just too much good stuff..

• Like 1

I mean the best parts of the Indie library are on the PS4 and the hardware has multiple limitations. I think it is very odd for people to rank this console so much better than the PS4

I personally like the generation even if though a lot of it is only skin deep, but I think it is going to be a hard generation to judge in general because of the homogenization of libraries. 

• Like 4

We have both the lite and regular (pokemon made us need two haha). 

I love the choice of home or on the go, we've played Mario kart while on a plan before. I think it doesn't have the best graphics compared to other systems of the same generation, anything that gets ported to switch from PS4/Xbox never looks as good or plays as smoothly imo

I do wish they'd release more new content and stop releasing the entire wiiu library. 

The pro controller is one of my top favorite controllers of all time, it's soooo comfy. Also the multiple docks option is amazing, we have one in living room and one in bedroom, can just change up where you're playing without unplugging tons of stuff. 

Edited by SailorScoutMandy
Info
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
8 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Man, those games are completely random based on round numbers and almost every single one of them is a game you can play somewhere else. This is 100% the Switch.

Can you play them on a handheld elsewhere?  Other than playing some of them on your phone or tablet with a shitty touchscreen?  Because that's the difference maker.  That's why the Wii U sold 15 million units and the Switch will sell 120-140 million plus.  

And people talk about ports like it's a bad thing.  There's already too many games to play.  No one is caught up.  Nobody.  But a handheld gives me (and many others) a more realistic path to getting there.

Like right now is a perfect example.  I'm upstairs, watching the boys and making the breakfast and drinking coffee and cleaning up (and checking VGS).  I also have the Switch on hand so I can get 5-10 minutes of SMT3 in here and there.  A long JRPG with save points far away from one another, that would otherwise not be doable for me.  It's perfect for me.

• Like 3

@Reedrothchild there's nothing inherently wrong with a port, but there are difference in the quality of ports. Like I'd put Ikaurage PS4, Vulgar the Viking PS4, Battle Garegga PS4 as perfect ports - they are fun, great games, love to own them on a modern console. And then there is Doom 64, R-Types Dx, Mega Man Legacy Collection, Metal Slug Anthology, Psychonauts, Republic Commando, etc. which are also ports but whose quality is open to interpretation. 

Besides that it's not innovative so imo I give most/not all ports a small ding for not being original. Like I wouldn't give DK Tropical Freeze a ding.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Californication said:

@Reedrothchild there's nothing inherently wrong with a port, but there are difference in the quality of ports. Like I'd put Ikaurage PS4, Vulgar the Viking PS4, Battle Garegga PS4 as perfect ports - they are fun, great games, love to own them on a modern console. And then there is Doom 64, R-Types Dx, Mega Man Legacy Collection, Metal Slug Anthology, Psychonauts, Republic Commando, etc. which are also ports but whose quality is open to interpretation. 

Besides that it's not innovative so imo I give most/not all ports a small ding for not being original. 

Yes, not all ports are equal.  Some are optimized, some are quick and dirty.  Some are emulated and not even truly ported.  But if Dishonored was announced for Switch tomorrow, I wouldn't consider it a bad thing.  I'd be thrilled that I suddenly get Dishonored on the go.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I also praised the exceedingly deep PS4 library in that thread, even though I've never played one.  If it had a true handheld mode I would have been all over it long ago.  Hell, it may have gotten my 10.  I mean, Bloodborne, Nier Automata, and Tsushima on the go?  Sign me up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I also praised the exceedingly deep PS4 library in that thread, even though I've never played one.  If it had a true handheld mode I would have been all over it long ago.  Hell, it may have gotten my 10.  I mean, Bloodborne, Nier Automata, and Tsushima on the go?  Sign me up.

For sure. I was speaking generally not to you specifically. And I am actually really excited to play the Gunlord X, Prinny 1 + 2, and Dk Tropical Freeze ports at some point.

• Like 1