IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Gradius

BeaIank

got one loop done. pretty low score considering. idk what hap i only had 400k after one loop. i think i missed a lot on stage 3 bit not 200-300k worth. 

oh well. im pretty pleased with it beings i only played today a couple times. just disnt have the want too to play during the week. 

good game this gradius

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

got one loop done. pretty low score considering. idk what hap i only had 400k after one loop. i think i missed a lot on stage 3 bit not 200-300k worth. 

oh well. im pretty pleased with it beings i only played today a couple times. just disnt have the want too to play during the week. 

good game this gradius

You're slacking on the shooter icon skinny?

Still a good score for one session of play, but I heard your shooter charm think you should have tried harder.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

You're slacking on the shooter icon skinny?

Still a good score for one session of play, but I heard your shooter charm think you should have tried harder.

ya im slacking on this one 🙂 i played earlier in the year to familiarize. i was practicing one loop runs. this week time and effort just didnt line up. 

Score updated. To @DoctorEncore, @NESfiend, and @Kid Dracula: y'all can suck it for busting my balls. 😄 There is a strategy for long-term play here. You'll figure it out over time 😉 It turned out my efforts were fruitful this week. Hooray! Looks like @Kid Dracula is pulling out another crazy finish. Kudos to you, buddy! 

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2020 at 12:58 AM, ninjistar said:

I'll likely put some time into crossing this one off of my "to complete" list this week. 
I'm very happy to not be disappointing @BeaIank

vgs-ninjistar-gradius-score-2020-final.j

Lol damn you! I was all fired up to jump 2 spots on the leaderboard with that last game. Hell of a run from not having played much before! Posting the zeroes got three of us to get NES controllers in our kids' hands, so it turned out to be more ingenious than even you intended. 

I was just debating if I should keep going to get it done for the personal list when you posted that. Would be great to add a shooter, but Im pretty out of gas on slamming the a button. Thats all I learned about shooters this week - apparently button mashing is key

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I feel that brother.

Amen.   Sadly the first time i played i got almost 300,000 but thought "I'll have time to do better" .Well,  you see that result.  Obviously this is not the year to mail it in.  These folks are killing it! 

Edited by 8bitdontquit

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Lol damn you! I was all fired up to jump 2 spots on the leaderboard with that last game. Hell of a run from not having played much before! Posting the zeroes got three of us to get NES controllers in our kids' hands, so it turned out to be more ingenious than even you intended. 

I was just debating if I should keep going to get it done for the personal list when you posted that. Would be great to add a shooter, but Im pretty out of gas on slamming the a button. Thats all I learned about shooters this week - apparently button mashing is key

*EVIL LAUGH* I did intend to stir the pot a bit with my 0 score 😄 but it was really meant for the old heads in here who've all played together over multiple seasons. They've seen my story too many times and don't even react much any more hahaha!  @BeaIank was my real target!  I do like to add a little spice to the threads (but usually no drama), mostly via obsurdity and ridiculousness. The contests are a fun distraction for many of us. 

I do plan to keep playing some Gradius and cross it off of my list soon. You  did well and I think you should too. I will be looking into other games in the series more closely in the future. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

@BeaIank I will be looking into other games in the series more closely in the future. 

A buddy of mine who I game with a lot is a big fan of gradius 3 and it has the 2 player option if memory serves. Hoping the skills translate and I can surprise beat the shit out of him next time he comes over. 

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted

Another week for the VGS NES Weekly Contest, another win for our rising star @Kid Dracula! Congratulations playa, going through the harder loops multiple times is incredible. Our current 2019 tournament champion @bertsampson have gone to the trouble of going through 4 loops, with a good pack of lives remaining, but wouldn't go any further. Still an impressive performance from the human cyborg. In third place comes regular ranker @Gaia Gensouki with a score over 900k!! Notorious shooter champ @skinnygrinny took some shooter slack this week and limited his try on Sunday for a very respectable 4th place with a 600k+ score.

Honorable mentions go to @nesmaster14 for posting a second loop score, and also to @dvertov and @ninjistar for going all the way to the last segment of the first loop!

Gradius as also been a good newcomers week with 4 new participants in the NES Weekly Contest! Thanks to @NEET.dreams, @dvertov, @DoctorEncore and even our special  art contributor @CasualCartfor joining the fun! Participants charms have been duly distributed!

Special thanks to contest's dear friend @rdrunner for making a well appreciated appearance this week and blessing us with an impressive 647,800 1 loop score, for entertainment purpose!

This week was a great week for participation, let's keep the wave rising higher and higher folks!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, rdrunner said:

*Does not count. Just posting for fun, as always.

Did a quick zero death single loop.  I think it's one of my higher scores for such a game.  Nice job to the multi-loop players on this one.  Anything over 2 million is really good!

Great score! Hopefully you play some more this season.

This was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the excuse to finally take a serious crack at this game. One day I hope to get past the last 0.01% and beat it! (Seriously, that final gate is such a cheap trick I feel like it would be a notorious meme if more people had gotten that far, like the speedbike level in Battletoads.)