IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Gradius

BeaIank

Editorials Team · Posted

Rember 2017, when I didn't play the first half of the season?  And then like a phoenix, I awoke in the 2nd half with a torrential deluge of high finishes, clawing my way to a 5th place finish?  And how I took the playoffs by storm, dominating at Double Dragon and rekting mbd at Rad Racer?

(and then I got dead last in the championship round, even behind gloves, but nevermind that detail)

The point is I'm not doing that this time.  But I'm  also not above slumming my way to a postseason spot on the back of a bunch of zeros!

• Like 2

Just now, mbd39 said:

Eh, I wanted to put in some effort this week.

I probably won't make top 8 either way, but still.

I'll embrace the hall of shame hahaha. It's more interesting to me than posting another mediocre score that gets me no further than the 0-point effort I posted 😄

I obviously have a "real" score. Is it worth posting? Probably not. Meh.

2020-05-07_gradius_high_score-1.thumb.jpg.7ca7d1ec7ec9860ba5bc2688211d2de6.jpg

First time participant here. So, I went from never having gotten past the volcanoes in the first stage to making it all the way to the end... and getting smashed by the f*!@$^# final door. Thank you. I think I am done with this game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

4 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

First weekly contest and I actually did the scoring correct this time!

UPDATE: 192,600

15889514325599185899700357974654.thumb.jpg.f7ae147b0e21e2a3b131128b681b396e.jpg

And for all you goobers taking a zero, here is 3 year old Doc Jr with his score of 8800.

Polish_20200508_110145897.thumb.jpg.bfb96dc9a48023c7b9ec31652d2f5787.jpg

Nice one! I should see if my one month old can put up a score higher than 0.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

Pro tip: if you just stay in the starting position and hold the fire button, you will do surprisingly well. So it's plausible! Good luck Baby Dracula!

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Haha 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I swear I'm going to end up with carpal tunnel from button-mashing on this arcade stick, but it's hard to stop playing "just one more time" haha. 

I made it to the end of stage 4 for the first time, and my spirit broke when I saw that it was another volcano sub-boss. Needless to say I didn't survive very long after that.

-CasualCart

1876900341_CasualCartGradius0231000.jpg.a0d25dfc2d7079ead65abf5d5dffb171.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

And for all you goobers taking a zero, here is 3 year old Doc Jr with his score of 8800.

2 hours ago, Kid Dracula said:

It seems my post and score have been taken way too seriously! 😄 I'll still get as many participation points as baby Max and Doc Jr. 🙂 Carry on...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Pro tip: if you just stay in the starting position and hold the fire button, you will do surprisingly well. 

Weighing in at 33 lbs and competing in a diaper and oversized t-shirt 5 minutes before bedtime, 19 month old Paul scored 1300 points. Which is 1300 more than @ninjistar!

Tried the above strategy by telling him to press the a button over and over. He seemed to get that part. He didn't get that by pressing the d pad forward, he was accelerating into them and dying. It wasn't a long game, but he killed the other guys more than they killed him. 

Hoped to get his profile in the photo holding the nes controller. He ran off at 100 mph as soon as I paused it. 

20200508_194642.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I swear I'm going to end up with carpal tunnel from button-mashing on this arcade stick, but it's hard to stop playing "just one more time" haha. 

I made it to the end of stage 4 for the first time, and my spirit broke when I saw that it was another volcano sub-boss. Needless to say I didn't survive very long after that.

-CasualCart

1876900341_CasualCartGradius0231000.jpg.a0d25dfc2d7079ead65abf5d5dffb171.jpg

Just stay at the very bottom directly under the point of the first volcano to not get hit. You can do it! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Weighing in at 33 lbs and competing in a diaper and oversized t-shirt 5 minutes before bedtime, 19 month old Paul scored 1300 points. Which is 1300 more than @ninjistar!

[...snip...]

Hoped to get his profile in the photo holding the nes controller. He ran off at 100 mph as soon as I paused it. 

I seem to have a new challenger... What's his record in the ring? We can meet on the playground, near the swing sets (the blue one) for our throw-down! 😄

He is wise to run off. The fun part was over. New adventures are to be had.... RIGHT.... NOW!!! 🏃‍♂️

• Haha 1