IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

2 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Are you getting paid for the time off? Some school districts in I think Washington shut down for some time as well.

It's treated the same as a snow day, and the aim is to make up the day at the end of the year.  With that said, we can't go beyond 185 scheduled days according to our contract.  So, if we were to lose something like 14 days of school, we wouldn't be expected to make them up.  We'd basically cut our loses.

I get paid no matter what for school, but I am a bit concerned about the gym.  I have to imagine that the fitness industry will be one of the first and most heavily impacted as people continue to grow weary. 

Back to the topic of who is the most evil country on earth that people are willing to deal with, this story has come out about China bragging about successfully saving Corvid patients with organ transplants. The interesting part is how they can secure perfectly matched organs in days when the rest of the civilized world takes years.

It's literally like someone copied the US, took all the ambition but deleted the humanity.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/522114/fears-china-is-executing-muslim-prisoners-and-harvesting-their-organs-to-treat-coronavirus-patients/

Edited by Startyde
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Startyde said:

It's literally like someone copied the US, took all the ambition but deleted the humanity.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/522114/fears-china-is-executing-muslim-prisoners-and-harvesting-their-organs-to-treat-coronavirus-patients/

The irony being China provides healthcare to its citizens whereas the US doesn't. Not denying the Chinese government are monsters but I mean.. so are the US'.

27 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

The irony being China provides healthcare to its citizens whereas the US doesn't. Not denying the Chinese government are monsters but I mean.. so are the US'.

But the US does provide healthcare to its citizens...though not to the full gov't extent some people would like.  And the US government are "monsters"?  I want to know what country's gov't you don't consider monsters.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

You can’t be locked up here for talking shit on social media about religion or “politics “ I’ll take a shitty healthcare policy over Chinese government. I’m guessing you also would?  You say the US government are monsters ?  Like on a 1-10 scale, what are they? Asking for a friend.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

And the NBA has suspended the season when a player tested positive. The whole gd country is getting ready to shut down. Wtf.

We're just getting started.  Sentiment around the office / family / colleagues is that most people are tired of hearing about it.  To which I respond them we are absolutely no where near the peak.  Life will change for quite awhile and the economy will take a massive hit.

Note: I'm not worried about my life or anyone else except the elderly.  But panic is unquantifiable and uncontrollable.  The panic that ensues is what will cause the massive disruptions.  Tried to warn people about this early...

Also one of the things that scares me a bit is that the White House elevated top level discussions on Coronoavirus to classified.  One that eliminates a lot of people who need to know from attending and two it implies that we know something about it that we don't want to get out.  Whether it is orgins, fatality rates, how woefully underprepared the country is, etc. 

6 minutes ago, jonebone said:

We're just getting started.  Sentiment around the office / family / colleagues is that most people are tired of hearing about it.  To which I respond them we are absolutely no where near the peak.  Life will change for quite awhile and the economy will take a massive hit.

Note: I'm not worried about my life or anyone else except the elderly.  But panic is unquantifiable and uncontrollable.  The panic that ensues is what will cause the massive disruptions.  Tried to warn people about this early...

Well then you were absolutely correct then. Just need to hold on 3 weeks until my wife finishes nursing school. And clutch my purse strings in case my boss makes the call to close/suspend operations of the restaurant.

Im more scared of panic then i am of the disease itself.😒

7 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Which Chinese citizens? The ones not imprisoned for religious beliefs, disappeared for not worshipping the government correctly or the ones harvested for their organs for convenience? I forget what constitutes a Chinese citizen these days.

Edited by Startyde
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Richardhead said:

You can’t be locked up here for talking shit on social media about religion or “politics “ I’ll take a shitty healthcare policy over Chinese government. I’m guessing you also would?  You say the US government are monsters ?  Like on a 1-10 scale, what are they? Asking for a friend.  

A 10 as well. You think Trump doesn't want to imprison those people? The US has laws to protect its citizens, but that has nothing to do with those in charge being good people. And I don't just mean Trump btw, Pence would love to make it a Christian country. The Clintons are.. well, the Clintons. You think Epstein committed suicide?

7 hours ago, Estil said:

But the US does provide healthcare to its citizens...though not to the full gov't extent some people would like.  And the US government are "monsters"?  I want to know what country's gov't you don't consider monsters.  

I think most countries with any power has monsters in charge, I was just pointing out the US because that was the country mentioned; but I was certainly not saying China is a better country than the US to live in.

Also. The disease is out there in the community already and it's airborne. You can't hide from it forever. People you know will probably get sick, I may get sick. My kids may get sick. We'll get better if we do. Life will suck for a week then will go on.

If that happens, I'll avoid my grandmother and other high risk people. Same rules that apply every cold/flu season. This widespread panic is too much!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

How much will the market crash today?  I'm guessing 7% down.

We hit that breaker earlier in the week on way less-bad news than what transpired last night.

I'm guessing we bump into the 13% down breaker, as well.

Whether we END the day that low is another matter, but shutting off European trans-atlantic flights for a month is probably perceived as more severe short-term news than the oil war between Saudi Arabia and Russia.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

NHL season suspended too.  March Madness games with no fans in attendance.  Forest Gump infected.

This is a weird time for sure.

No it isn't (at least yet).   Just the next two Columbus games and next two Sharks home games with no fans.

22 minutes ago, Benihana said:

I hour in and already passed the 7% mark...lets hope for a huge rebound today! My 401K needs it 🙂

Things will get worse before they get better.

(1) we still have no clear idea how widespread the virus is in the USA (due  to lack of testing)

(2) Italy is on track to have their cases multiply to the point of exceeding the official (fake) numbers from China

(3) we're only just getting started with event closures and college shutdowns in the USA -- once this extends to public schools it is going to be ridiculous

(4) airlines and hotels are about to be on genuine life support, if they weren't already -- to go along with that, all of the collateral business that goes along with big events simply isn't going to happen in the short-term

(5) this is before we even get into the concerns of this thing dragging into mid-year or having a second wave in the fall that somehow disrupts the democratic convention or even the election

And we're probably a year out from a functional, safe, vaccine distributed at scale.

We're only 25% off the top... it can go way down from here, especially considering how quickly it went up over the last couple of years.

7 minutes ago, Californication said:

Did anyone buy gold like i said?

Gold is essentially flat compared to the January average of 2020, having blown off both of it's recent increases.

Would have been more stable than holding stocks since January, though, and it is still up a healthy amount against the beginning of 2019.

Edited by arch_8ngel