IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

@RH China is definitely still suppressing information.  There was a story either today or yesterday that was talking about them censoring any online messages in their country of people trying to post anything about death rates, for instance.  

I wouldn't have any confidence in their advertised numbers until after this thing has started to decline in western countries where the records will be more reliable and harder to fake.

11 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

@RH China is definitely still suppressing information.  There was a story either today or yesterday that was talking about them censoring any online messages in their country of people trying to post anything about death rates, for instance.  

I wouldn't have any confidence in their advertised numbers until after this thing has started to decline in western countries where the records will be more reliable and harder to fake.

China doesn't surprise me.  I don't think anyone (outside of China) trusts them.  What bothers me is when I tried to extensively google the latest trend, and even set date filters within the last week, I couldn't find a single article bringing into question those numbers.  I mean, common.  Are we to believe they all of a sudden got their act together, and the rest of us are lagging behind. No, no one's that dumb.  So why isn't there any news on the blatantly, fallacious numbers that China is reporting.

Someone, some where in the news has to be talking about this?!  I can't find it.  The data is so obvious, even someone with the basic ability to read a chart can tell that something is off.

• Needle exchange programs prevent the spread of hepatitis and HIV, which are incredibly expensive to treat over a lifetime.  Even if one has zero experience in mental health, healthcare, or addiction, AND a strong moral opposition, the economics are clearly in favor of needle exchange programs.  FWIW, needles can be sold OTC in many states.

• Masks do nothing to prevent a person from acquiring a disease.  Bacteria and viruses can be too small to be "caught" in them.  A mask prevents spit/droplets from contaminating the area around a sick person.  Masks are only useful for the already sick and in sterile environments (clean room, surgery, etc.).  A full respirator and hazmat suit would be needed for a healthy person to not contract a pathogen once contact is made.

• The run on hand sanitizer, wipes, and other supplies is somewhat laughable given the amount of air travel and likelihood of asymptomatic carriers.  More than likely, this will have to run its course with the already clear lack of containment.  FWIW, if you are sick, please stay home.

Disclaimer:  Not a scientist. Not a physician. Just another guy on the internet. Do not use my words to influence your decisions.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, broncofantd793 said:
  • Needle exchange programs prevent the spread of hepatitis and HIV, which are incredibly expensive to treat over a lifetime.  Even if one has zero experience in mental health, healthcare, or addiction, AND a strong moral opposition, the economics are clearly in favor of needle exchange programs.  FWIW, needles can be sold OTC in many states.

• Masks do nothing to prevent a person from acquiring a disease.  Bacteria and viruses can be too small to be "caught" in them.  A mask prevents spit/droplets from contaminating the area around a sick person.  Masks are only useful for the already sick and in sterile environments (clean room, surgery, etc.).  A full respirator and hazmat suit would be needed for a healthy person to not contract a pathogen once contact is made.

• The run on hand sanitizer, wipes, and other supplies is somewhat laughable given the amount of air travel and likelihood of asymptomatic carriers.  More than likely, this will have to run its course with the already clear lack of containment.  FWIW, if you are sick, please stay home.

Disclaimer:  Not a scientist. Not a physician. Just another guy on the internet. Do not use my words to influence your decisions.

You from Denver?

2 hours ago, RH said:

China doesn't surprise me.  I don't think anyone (outside of China) trusts them.  What bothers me is when I tried to extensively google the latest trend, and even set date filters within the last week, I couldn't find a single article bringing into question those numbers.  I mean, common.  Are we to believe they all of a sudden got their act together, and the rest of us are lagging behind. No, no one's that dumb.  So why isn't there any news on the blatantly, fallacious numbers that China is reporting.

Someone, some where in the news has to be talking about this?!  I can't find it.  The data is so obvious, even someone with the basic ability to read a chart can tell that something is off.

There was a video early in the outbreak from a nurse in China claiming that they were lying about the numbers, and warning people that the virus is highly contageous.  I tried to look it up so I could link it for you and to my (un)surpise Youtube took the video down.

12 hours ago, RH said:

Here's one of the ways they've tried to tweak the numbers in their favour, not sure if it was mentioned earlier or not:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3874490

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

I'm actually ok with that.  I still want to get one, but I really don't want to spend the money on it.  I have a pre-order in place, but I've been trying to decide if I want to keep the pre-order or cancel it in hopes of getting it cheaper 6 months after release (like I did with the Genesis Mini).  Now I have more time to think about it.  

On 3/5/2020 at 5:29 PM, Tabonga said:

If this is true it is just wrong on so many levels.   Kinda like Zombieland was prophetic on this topic,

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-outbreak-may-have-unleashed-panic-buying-of-hostess-twinkies-and-ding-dongs-210034011.html

To be fair, the legend/myth/joke of Twinkies being indestructible had been around long before Zombieland made reference to it

It sure would be nice if we (USA) were actually doing some broader testing in areas with confirmed cases, rather than intentionally distorting the statistics.

Based on death rates in countries with more thorough testing, our actual infections are 5-10x higher, at least.

Lots of symptomatic people are apparently being denied testing though, just because they didn't travel to a risk zone or aren't aware of direct contact with someone who did.  Going to lead to a lot more domestic transmission just due to needless ignorance.

23 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

It sure would be nice if we (USA) were actually doing some broader testing in areas with confirmed cases, rather than intentionally distorting the statistics.

Based on death rates in countries with more thorough testing, our actual infections are 5-10x higher, at least.

Lots of symptomatic people are apparently being denied testing though, just because they didn't travel to a risk zone or aren't aware of direct contact with someone who did.  Going to lead to a lot more domestic transmission just due to needless ignorance.

The problem is that economics and financial resources are limited. It is not feasible to test everyone with a simple cough and runny nose. There is also the issue of docs and nurses have limited time in their work and it's not practical to be testing for everyone when they need to deal with other medical issues as well.

14 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

God damn fucking panicky hoarding assholes.  No fucking toilet paper at the grocery store.   I hate people.

Yeah, wasting me petrol money damnit! Twice been to the shops and came back empty, without toilet paper on stock. Looks like going to have to pre-order toilet paper soon!

46 minutes ago, GPX said:

The problem is that economics and financial resources are limited. It is not feasible to test everyone with a simple cough and runny nose. There is also the issue of docs and nurses have limited time in their work and it's not practical to be testing for everyone when they need to deal with other medical issues as well.

We are testing considerably fewer symptomatic people than other developed countries.

It isn't an economic constraint.

There is no particularly good excuse for other major countries to be able to test symptomatic people at a vastly higher rate than we are. 

End result is that we are likely to end up with a higher true infection rate than other developed nations.  

Edited by arch_8ngel

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

God damn fucking panicky hoarding assholes.  No fucking toilet paper at the grocery store.   I hate people.

The Sams Club in Arvada (where we usually get TP and paper towels) was out so I went to the Safeway at Garrison/Colfax Friday afternoon and they had a fair amount of both - in fact the tp was on sale and if you bought 5 8 packs you got a dollar off each one - so I bought a bit more than I had planned.  If you can't find any (I suspect  the grocery stores   got hit hard yesterday)  I will sell  you an 8 pack for what I have in it.

I find it really annoying since we usually buy in bulk and replace only when we get low - we just happened to get low now and got caught up in this madness.  Reminds me of footage of grocery stores in Florida during the Cuban missle crisis.  Stores looked liked ones from the Walking Dead.  I hope people enjoyed their canned lima beans and beets*.

*Reminds me of the scene in "A Boy and His Dog" where Don Johnson bamboozles an illiterate survivor into thinking a can of beets is actually a can of peaches.

Edited by Tabonga

No TP crisis in my area, either, but we just had our first confirmed case overnight, so today all bets are probably off 😛

I have had a decent pantry and freezer stock built up over the last few weeks, in case any kind of quarantined comes down the line.

but hit the grocery store yesterday for odds and ends and there was a ridiculously good sale on meat.

We have local producers that probably send a lot to China (reason why a Chinese firm bought in so heavy to Smithfield foods), and with those exports blocked they are practically flooding the local market with pork.

Fresh ground beef was only $3.49/lb, as well for 93% lean.  My brother in law's guess was that slaughterhouses are working ahead in case they get stuck with a shutdown in the next few weeks.

I think the only wiped out sections were cold medicine and cheap frozen pizzas. (Interestingly the premium frozen pizza brands were all marked down to cheap pizza prices and we're still on shelves)

if you have the freezer space, there are some good deals to be had right now.

Edited by arch_8ngel