IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

21 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

but am genuinely terrified that my 2 year old will catch it, or my older family members etc. 

No children under 10 have died.  Not clear whether any in that age group have required hospitalization, though.

General consensus is that children are, by and large, safe (though can become carriers).

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

No children under 10 have died.  Not clear whether any in that age group have required hospitalization, though.

General consensus is that children are, by and large, safe (though can become carriers).

I thought it was babies that we had to be careful for (as well as the elderly and infirm)?

Which would make sense, with them having limited immunizations and whatnot.

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

I understand, although I still deeply don't want him to get it and will take any measure available (which is not much) to try and prevent it from reaching our home.  Just a paternal desire, "terrified" is probably an overstatement, but I assume you feel the same with your kiddos.

Our schools are all shutting down, guessing public daycares will come next...

12 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Thanks, was just going to mention this myself.

10 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I thought it was babies that we had to be careful for (as well as the elderly and infirm)?

Which would make sense, with them having limited immunizations and whatnot.

With the flu that is definitely true.

Worldwide, no babies have died from covid-19, at all.  None.  (no children under 10 years old, in fact)

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

I understand, although I still deeply don't want him to get it and will take any measure available (which is not much) to try and prevent it from reaching our home.  Just a paternal desire, "terrified" is probably an overstatement, but I assume you feel the same with your kiddos.

Thing is though, this sort of mentality just contributes to the panic, and the panic just makes things worse. As @Richardhead said, there's just no point in getting so paranoid over touching another guys credit card or vodka bottle too long. If you're going to get it, you'll get it, period. Adding irrational fear and panic just adds to the problem, and doesn't help anything. 

With that said, everyone I'm out, gonna live my life and go cycling tomorrow, coronavirus be damned. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

I have a 6 year old (in kindergarten) and a 3 year old (in preschool).

Given the extremely low risk to kids in that age group...and the general unsupervised hygiene...I accept the high likelihood that they will both eventually end up with it, just like every other cold virus they bring home from school.

Best I can do is to have them wash their hands while at home and keep them out of contact with the elderly until this thing passes.

School shutdowns are probably way more disruptive than they are helpful (something like 40% of nurses have school-aged children).

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

Thing is though, this sort of mentality just contributes to the panic, and the panic just makes things worse. As @Richardhead said, there's just no point in getting so paranoid over touching another guys credit card or vodka bottle too long. If you're going to get it, you'll get it, period. Adding irrational fear and panic just adds to the problem, and doesn't help anything. 

With that said, everyone I'm out, gonna live my life and go cycling tomorrow, coronavirus be damned. 

A bit too cold for me to go on a ride. But I can’t wait😁

• Like 1

Just now, Gloves said:

All the stores around me yesterday were out of TP. Went in today and they had all restocked. Crisis averted, everybody can go home (and poop). 

Send me some, will you?

I mean, I'm sure my stores have them now, too, but it's raining and I don't want to go outside. 😞

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

This is a very crucial piece of info that is for now, comforting news to be aware of. Generally a serious infection can cause harm to any age group, and more so to the elderly and the very young. This virus is behaving rather oddly in that it appears to hit hard at mainly the elderly (above 65), and under 65 have a significantly high chance of overcoming the illness if infected.

42 minutes ago, AstralRain said:

Made a doodle at work. Not trying to make light of the epidemic but I feel like most people here can relate.

All jokes aside, I was thinking about this the other day.  On the radio, they said that a lot of people will finally get around to reading that book they always wanted to read.  I might get to play that game I've always wanted to play.

Unfortunately, most of my gaming systems are disconnected due to the fact that I'm currently finishing my basement.  😕

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

With the flu that is definitely true.

Worldwide, no babies have died from covid-19, at all.  None.  (no children under 10 years old, in fact)

That's good at least.

And also today, for the first time ever, I saw the employees sanitizing the tong and pizza server handles at Cici's!

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

That's good at least.

And also today, for the first time ever, I saw the employees sanitizing the tong and pizza server handles at Cici's!

It's actually kinda shitty, to be real here, that we're all doing what I'd consider BASIC hygiene because of a pandemic. 

We'd actually be a far more healthy global society overall if people would be as serious about hygiene as they're being right now. Like you should already be washing your hands when you get home from being out in public, stuff like that. 

I'm hopeful that if nothing else this causes people to form some better habits. 

Stores too, as you've alluded to. Suddenly now that their business is on the line (customers won't go to a non-clean store/restaurant) everybody is implementing cleaning protocols that should already be the norm. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Well that's the thing, this is my life, my kiddo, my feelings - you're more than welcome to feel about this as you wish and minimize whatever you feel fit. 

If there are precautions we can try and take, we all 100% should be taking them to try and limit the spread - not just for us but for ALL the folks around us.  There is a good reason why things are shutting down around us, it's not just a bunch of PR moves.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Just had a lady tell us that since she can’t find rubbing alcohol to sterilize her needles, she has to risk an infection to take her insulin. Yay society!

She should be able to go to a nearby hospital to request some sani...

Oh wait, America. 

• Haha 1

Ugh, partner works as an interpreter in a school, and they just shut it down for 2 weeks. Could be longer. 

She's an hourly employee, which means she isn't going to be paid, unless they come up with some sort of solution. And since she just started at the school a few months ago, doesn't have much time accrued. What a mess. 

I've seen some articles floating around of ideas to help pay hourly employees, but nothing concrete. 

Edited by Magus
Spelling