IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Richardhead said:

Dunno. I didn’t think of that. I try not to have too long of conversations with customers. Never have, never will.

Yeah, I don't blame you there.   Needles are sterile in the package, and they're supposed to prescribe enough for you to use a new one every injection.

They do recommend you use an alcohol wipe on the injection site first (but I never do)

1 minute ago, Magus said:

Ugh, partner works as an interpretr in a school, and they just shut it down for 2 weeks. Could be longer. 

She's an hourly employee, which means she isn't going to be paid, unless they come up with some sort of solution. And since she just started at the school a few months ago, doesn't have much sick time accrued. What a mess. 

I've seen some articles floating around of ideas to help pay hourly employees, but nothing concrete. 

Yikes, my understanding here in Iowa is that the teachers are being put on paid leave.

2 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Yikes, my understanding here in Iowa is that the teachers are being put on paid leave.

Yeah most teachers are salary based from what i understand.

She's a contracted ASL interpreter through a company that places interpreters in schools. So she can't even discuss this with the school, it's all the contracting company that employs her. And so far they have been useless. 

Administrator · Posted
13 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Well that's the thing, this is my life, my kiddo, my feelings - you're more than welcome to feel about this as you wish and minimize whatever you feel fit. 

If there are precautions we can try and take, we all 100% should be taking them to try and limit the spread - not just for us but for ALL the folks around us.  There is a good reason why things are shutting down around us, it's not just a bunch of PR moves.

There's also a difference between being cautious and being a dickbag about it like some of Richard's customers.

If someone's worried about somebody handling their credit card, etc then accept that with your left hand or don't touch your face until you can sanitize or whatever.   There's no need to throw a public fit over the cashier that happened to swipe a hair out of her eyesight before handing you your purchases.

So I'm all for caution, just not dickbaggery.   I'm assuming you're just in the (perhaps overly) cautious category.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I have a 6 year old (in kindergarten) and a 3 year old (in preschool).

Given the extremely low risk to kids in that age group...and the general unsupervised hygiene...I accept the high likelihood that they will both eventually end up with it, just like every other cold virus they bring home from school.

Best I can do is to have them wash their hands while at home and keep them out of contact with the elderly until this thing passes.

School shutdowns are probably way more disruptive than they are helpful (something like 40% of nurses have school-aged children).

Yeah I'm screwed too.  One kid at preschool (not closed).  Twins have two babysitters, one of whom just flew back from FL, the other volunteers at a disability center.

Both grandmothers want to fly up here in the next month and I can only LOL.  As if they'll be able to fly by then, as if they SHOULD be flying, or the fact that there is a 100% chance my kids will get it and give it to the rest of us.

I guess neither one has considered being intubated with pneumonia.

Figured I'd chime in since I'm from across the pond.

I work at a university in Berlin and starting next week virtually every school and university will be closed until at least past Easter. This only goes for teaching atm. Universities that have the capacities (like mine) move to online teaching for the time being. Administrative staff is urged to work from home whenever possible however it is expected that administration will be forced by authorities to seize onsite operations in the coming days. All onsite events and meetings are cancelled, postponed or moved to online as well.

Most large events as well as most big sports leagues are suspended temporarily or have ended early. So far very few places have been forced into quarantine although again that should only be a matter of time. Unfortunately in these cases it's up to the individual states and health and education are some of the very few areas where states have authority and don't have to go through if the federal health/education ministries ask them to do something (basically the federal government would like to move forward faster but the states are being childish and want to play big as much as they can). As soon as the situation is declared a state of emergency though all state authority is overruled by the federal government but that has never happened in our history.

As far as supply goes everything is pretty solid still. I was at three different supermarkets over the course of the week (just doing my regular shopping; no hamstering) and everywhere the shelves have been well stocked. There is a very slight shortage of toilet paper and pasta (mostly the super cheap brands) but if you want to buy something you definitely can.

Overall our population seems to be quite reasonable and is more annoyed by the fact that decisions are made slowly because of the authority question. People are also a bit more chill here compared to the US for example because of our strong labor laws. Except for solo artists who might struggle basically noone has to worry about their job since salary under these circumstances is guaranteed. If a company shuts down voluntarily they still have to pay their employees as if they were working full time and if the company were to be shut down by the government the company still has to pay all wages in full but can get it back from the government. A multi-billion emergency fund for this is already being arranged. The responsible secretary already proclaimed that they will do anything in their power that no job will be lost during this period (doesn't seem to be hyper realistic but the sentiment and urge appear very genuine).

If you have questions to a European feel free to ask 🙂

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

There's also a difference between being cautious and being a dickbag about it like some of Richard's customers.

If someone's worried about somebody handling their credit card, etc then accept that with your left hand or don't touch your face until you can sanitize or whatever.   There's no need to throw a public fit over the cashier that happened to swipe a hair out of her eyesight before handing you your purchases.

So I'm all for caution, just not dickbaggery.   I'm assuming you're just in the (perhaps overly) cautious category.

100% agree, nicely said.  Overly cautious, fo sho 🙂

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Whelp, the governor just shut down all of our K-12 in the state for the next 2 weeks.

Seems inevitable.

Our's are Pre-K but I assume we're gonna be stuck with em soon enough.  My wife works remote full time, and I may or may not be able to, depending on how many laptops we have total.  I'll probably just consider it paid leave and/or vacation time.

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Seems inevitable.

Our's are Pre-K but I assume we're gonna be stuck with em soon enough.  My wife works remote full time, and I may or may not be able to, depending on how many laptops we have total.  I'll probably just consider it paid leave and/or vacation time.

Yeah, my son's private pre-school follows all city school schedule changes (i.e. snow days or hurricane closures) so almost certainly falls under this umbrella as well.

Haven't seen a message from them yet, though, surprisingly.

We went to do some basic grocery shopping today - just our routine stuff (i.e. not stocking up for a zombie apocalypse),  All four of the stores we went to were stripped of lots of things besides the paper and cleaning supplies,  Potatoes, some fruits and veggies, canned foods (including spam) of many sorts, cabbages (yeah i know it is St. Paddys day time but this is ridiculous), pasta, (of all sorts), flour*, spaghetti sauce, some cheeses,  and on and on.  The stores were packed and we even caught one ninny taking some stuff out of our basket.   No apologies or explanation - she didn't even seem to be the least embarrassed.

At one of the stores we were talking to a stocker who said that they had opened at five am to a mob that immediately headed to the paper goods aisle (which had been stocked overnight) and stripped it bare in a matter of 20 minutes or so.

These fools are creating the very situation that they are afraid of - but I guess as long as they get what they want it is ok to screw everyone else over.

*Mrs. Tabonga got the very last bag of flour at the last store we went to. There a few things we couldn't get so we will try Monday or Tuesday next week.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

...why is she re-using needles in the first place?

2 hours ago, Richardhead said:

Dunno. I didn’t think of that. I try not to have too long of conversations with customers. Never have, never will.

My wife is diabetic and injects insulin and takes her sugar daily, she uses alcohol wipes before she pokes herself and she uses it after she takes her sugar.  Just common practice, just like when you get a blood draw or shot at hospital they clean with alcohol first.